1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

2018 goals!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I understand their lures have taken out most/many of the top end big barra comps in recent years. They deserve that as the effort is certainly put in at the factory. I've had some fair fish at Shady on their surface lure JAYWALKER, which is not a popper, but one that slides side to side. No doubt you know it. Still seems unfair that only single hooks are allowed at Shady Camp. Barra there can throw a lure just like anywhere else. When taking trebles off, I replaced them with large salt water flies. Got my first barra on fly, one I tied as I do, at Shady too.

creekboy, reelaxation and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have seen the Jaywalker, Noel, but never used one. Killalure do one called the Deadly 2 that I'm keen to get hold of, it's a popper with a bib that also makes it a shallow diver when cranked at the right speed. I watched a bloke use one at Baffle Creek on jacks and it was as the name says, deadly.

I haven't fished Shady in well over 25 years, back when the single hook reg didn't exist and it was not uncommon to go out and hook 40 to 50 fish between the mate and myself in a session. During the time I lived in Darwin (1999 - 2004), I only ever fished the upper reaches of the harbour, Bynoe and off Dundee. With the increase in population up there since I left and more boats on the water, I can expect things to be a bit different these days, but my mate lives for his barra fishing and will put me onto some decent fish - hopefully that elusive metre long bugger, I've been close with 3 at 99cms and quite a few in the mid 90's. Maybe this time.........

Jeff :cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Shady has I'm told Jeff, changed greatly. Last trip, there were still no facilities other than a long drop, and the shade is not what it used to be. People destroyed much of the Pandanus and stuff to make fires. We've been there and had 15-18 others all trying to fish the barrage at the same time. This causes other issues too, as it makes people take more risks and get closer to, and even knee deep into the water. Because we have trouble being there at the best time of the season, I have never had more than two or three fish at a session, and once; none. The croc population there is now enormous. That applies right through the Mary catchment; considered the world's highest population. One night we counted 38 pairs of red eyes while using a small torch. That didn't include those under water or facing the other way. Another couple had a powerful light and counted over 100 above the barrage. There were plenty downstream as well. We had trouble one night when a big salty, 15-16', was crawled onto the barrage and we couldn't get past. Had a few laughs after, but not really funny at the time. Got some good video of a freshie sneaking up and taking a barra when they were lined up, ready to cross the barrage, along with hundreds of diamond mullet. Still a great place. Wish I was going.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, I think the latest (2014) figures put the population at around 140,000. The expansion around Darwin is massive, new suburbs by the kilometre. You'll notice a difference, but Darwin still remains Darwin.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've had a couple of close calls with crocs after dark, Noel and the last one scared the bejeebers out of me - missed me by less than a metre up on the Wenlock River and that put an end to night fishing in northern waters for me. I don't scare easily, but the memory of that incident around 10 years ago still puts a shiver down the spine. I was standing well back from the edge of the river with a reasonably steep bank when it happened, it was huge and came out of the water like a missile, obviously very hungry or very unhappy about me fishing in it's patch. I will fish from a boat after dark, but not land based where there are crocs.

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We fish up to, but not after dark for the same reason. You don't hear or see them coming. Watched a big salty take an Agile Wallaby under the trees one night. It never had a chance and the noise of it screaming and the croc barking and thrashing was horrible. I'd only be out there in a decent sized boat too.

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have an unwritten list of things I draw the line at, Noel.

1. I will not swim with white pointers.
    2. I will not go sky-diving as I see no sense in jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane.
    3. I will not play chicken with road trains.
    4. I will not engage in land based night fishing in known croc infested waters.
    5. I will not tell my wife the truth when she asks how much money I spent on fishing gear in the past month.

Any of the above could result in mucho pain, if not a severe case of death.

Jeff :D

8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    If ever you get back to the Darwin area, Noel, there are some good spots off the beaten track that I occasionally fished, one being Bucket Billabong along a track that runs off Old Jim Jim road just before the South Alligator crossing. It can be a bit rough getting in, but you should make it, even in a Jeep :D.

A few pics of the area.

2004 July) 11 Start of billabong road.JPG
    start of the billabong track

2004 July) 18 Bucket Billabong, 25.7.04.JPG
    Bucket Billabong

2004 July) 26 ... and Red Lily Billabong.JPG
    not sure if a Jeep could handle this :D

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    The first J--p (apparently swearing is not permitted on this site) we had has been in worse. The current V8 probably hasn't, but I feel that if needed it could almost climb a tree. Doubtless you wouldn't agree. Then of course if Boss thought I was going into this stuff since these cardiac issues started, she would immediately cut off or out some nether bits, with a guaranteed severe case of death. It would also be prolonged.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Nice pics, Jeff. Doubt I will ever get up that way, but great to see the exploits of others. Cheers, creekboy. (Lyall)

diesel and kev209 like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thought I would get a better bite than that, obviously not using the right bait :D.

All jokes aside, Noel, I've gotta admit that Jeeps don't deserve the criticism dumped on them, or should I say Jeep owners don't deserve it. The current crop of Jeeps seem to be okay and quite capable off road. I've been a Toyota man for the past 35 years, a couple of Hilux traybacks and a couple of Landcruisers, not because I think they are the best, but mainly due to the dealer network around the country and you just can't kill them, especially Landcruisers. Working for Toyota in Sydney for a while and then Darwin probably made me a bit biased towards the brand also.

I think when the time comes to retire my old Troopy, I will most likely go for a Dmax, the Isuzu 3 litre turbo engine is one of the most reliable and durable engines in it's class.

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    One of the several great things on this site is that guys can take a swing at one another and have a laugh, without ripping their shirt off spoiling for fight. I don't get offended easily.

Jeff; I don't give a damn what you or others wear, fish with, or drive, but I do have an issue with those who seriously believe that what they have is the only product in the world worth having. That's OK too, to a point, but they decide that AFTER they got it, not before. I have a classic case with a brother who will only drive a Navara twin cab, but never keeps them long enough to test them.

We've had two yank tanks. The first did close to 300K impeccable kms, and this one has just passed 200K. Neither have been an issue. The current one, V8 Laredo, has all the bells and whistles, and was far more expensive than its counterpart today. The majority of critics are almost 100% those who have never had one. I have met but one, who had a problem with a new Jeep, and there are thousands towing vans now. Many say they can almost wear out two of them for the price of a cruiser. The company were unable to sort the electronic problem he had, and replaced the vehicle with another with a couple of thousand km s on it. He's now delighted. Don't mind me, go for it, have a verbal spar now and then, it's good for the soul, and relationships. Love your posts, and those pics. What a great place. N

13. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    That's the difference between members and mates. Other forums I have been on over the years the members carry on like little kids over nothing. That's why TBX is the only forum I support.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    X2, well put Kev. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    X3

16. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So...how is everyone going? My weight loss has occurred, then it has reappeared! Overall I think I am slightly better off and I think I am on the cusp of making some progress as every effort I make seems to go for a bit longer before I come undone. As for previous goals of;a yella on a lure, cod off the surface and getting my first saltwater fish, I am confident of ticking off at least one of these before the end of the year!
    cheers
    Team Bender

17. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. Have you given up on the metre carp? Cheers, Lyall.

18. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I hope not, I'm looking forward to seeing lots of photos when Jim lands the monster carp

creekboy and DeeBeeKay like this.
  19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It is wonderful to again see some active posting here.

I am somewhat less rotund than those of which I read but unfortunately you don't have to be overweight to be disadvantaged. I only weigh in at 76kg and have spent most of my life as a most active person but the snake has turned and I am now restricted quite seriously. When I can't fish I'm not happy. It's a sport I love and still hope to get back to it, even at a lesser level.
    2018 targets are simple and hopefully achievable. I want to be able to launch the boat and once again stand up casting SPs for a feed of fresh flathead. The mind is willing; now we have to hope the body will make it. I think one day it will but may have to wait for warmer days. Poor circulation causes extreme cold and destroys enthusiasm.
    But one day; lookout out fish; I'm coming to get you once more. Noel

20. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. One day when you least expect it, bingo , you will be back on the water. Cheers, Lyall.

Rod Bender, kev209 and Old fisho like this.