1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Thought I may as well start a thread dedicated to my channel escapades! I fish the local channels around the Shepparton district a fair bit...and have done so since I was a teenager. There was a day when the main target would be redfin, however, natives have taken over. Who am I to complain! Yet others do complain that they can't get a feed of redfin!

So I headed out to Shepp East last Monday, late arvo. Bait for the day was scrub worms and later on shrimp/yabbie/worm combo, caught on the night...an all you can eat buffet for the fish! Normally this time of year the channels would be flowing but it was no surprise that this particular one wasn't flowing.
    regulator18.jpg
    We have had a lot of rain so no farmers have been irrigating. Anyway, the fish still have to eat so in went the rods. Whilst it doesn't show in the pics, the water was rather murky.
    downstream18.jpg
    And the waiting began! And the waiting continued! I think it was around 645pm by the time I got a rod in and when I left at 10pm...I had only seen one bite! And that was rather tame! The night rolled on as I listened to the radio. Apart from the good fishing available here at times, I love the fact I can drive right up to the channel bank.
    night time18.jpg
    By around 10 pm I had had enough. It wasn't a bad night weather wise...rather cool but pretty calm. Will be revisiting the channel in a week or so when it starts to flow.
    cheers
    Jim

2. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Might have to catch up for a fish one arvo after work,im working in shep alot of the time.

Rod Bender likes this.
  3. Tinker

Tinker Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Doesn't matter where you fish with them, scrubbies are a dynamite bait.
    Surprised they didn't fire for you, been picking up a few redfin on them recently.
    Also finding crawlers and glow worms in deep water if you can get any in the channels, put as many on a hook as you can, creates more disturbance in the water.
    Before you bait up, rub aniseed oil on your fingers.

Rod Bender likes this.
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Active Member

Sep 30, 2016
    great report rod bender even thou no fish , so what natives are in these channels

i'm guessing yellows anything else .

cheers TAC

5. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Top report Mate, just great to be out there wetting a line.

Chook

6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    When the channels start flowing and the weather warms a bit there is a few of us that go out there every Friday evening...til late!

These critters would be the dominating species in the channels! And they do come bigger! Haven't caught any for a while which is good as the season is closed. I 'discovered' them a couple years ago whilst trying to catch my first yella on a lure. Cast any lipless crankbait or medium size spinnerbait and the likely result would be a cod...or of course nothing. As soon as the channel clears and starts flowing, I will be bombarding it with small soft plastics in the hope of a yella.
    161021 small cod.jpg

Whilst we haven't caught any there, we suspect there are blackfish! We have caught a couple blackfish upstream so have a feeling they are there too.
    cheers
    Jim

Tinker likes this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    this is good to see

Rod Bender likes this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out for a short session last night. Finally the channels are flowing, albeit still a bit murky.
    161028 channel reg 18.jpg
    I am hell bent on achieving my goal of getting my first yella on a lure! As the water was a bit dirty I chose a yellow and red spinnerbait. Not too large but what I thought would be an acceptable yella size. I concentrated casting and retrieving very slowly across the rocky bottom. After about four casts I had a hit...several head shakes and then it was gone. Not a big fish but possibly a potential yella. Soon after that another guy fishing bout 20 metres downstream landed a yella around the 33 cm mark! I kept fishing until dark without luck. After the lost fish I tried a diving hardbody wondering if the last loss was due to the SB being too large. Of course the new offering did not get any attention. Anyway, there is always the next time!
    cheers
    Team Bender

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    yep don't give up it took me months to get a bream on a hard body

now i just go out and do all the time , it is funny when you crack it

it just works and i can't tell you what i do different now than when i

couldn't get one but i must be doing something very subtle that makes

the difference .

cheers TAC

Rod Bender likes this.
  10. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    My first yella was caught on a lure but haven't caught one on a lure since must have been beginners luck.i do want to start using lures more in the coming months but it just seems easier and usually cheaper (snags) for me to just chuck a bait out and sit back and relax.
    Cheers mick.

Rod Bender likes this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    There was a time all of my fishing for natives was done in snaggy rivers. Lure losses were high when I did try them. But everything has changed now in the relatively snag free channels! Only reason I do use bait so much is my crap knees!
    cheers
    Jim

12. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Hey Jim,

We should organise a catchup/channel session one weekend. Let me know if you're keen, I might be able to give you a few pointers on the lures as well!

Cheers,

Sam

Rod Bender likes this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    No probs! But best to wait for cod opening! You may recognise this location...Murph told me that you and others had a session there one day!

14. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Haha yeah definitely mate! We'll try and get you onto a surface cod at the same time!

Yeah I thought that place looked familiar! Good to hear the natives are moving in!

Sam

15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out to the usual Shepp East spot last night. Flow is increasing and the clarity is improving as well. Still not 100% clear so a bright colored lure was chosen!
    4D 18.jpg
    A '4D' chatterbait in this case. Have been wanting to give them a go since I purchased them several weeks ago. Target species...yellas! I have used chatterbaits before and found these to work well (as in have a good action)...guessing they all work anyway. As usual, I concentrated casting across the top of a rock bed. And finally hooked up...but not what I wanted. Picked up a small cod around the 20 cm mark. Persisted with the chatterbait for a while then changed to a Megabass lipless crankbait.
    Megabass 18.jpg
    Things were going well until my so called 'improved albright' leader knot gave way and the lure was launched! Anyway, with fading light I decided to call it quits. Until next time!
    cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Hen and Chook and Tackleberry like this.
  16. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    mate go the fg knot once you get the hang of it you will never go back to anything else

i use for everything 2lb braid to 6lb leader up to 60lb braid to 40lb leader best knot there

is and i can tie it any were i am .

IMG_2820 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3169 (Medium).JPG

Rod Bender likes this.
  17. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    +1 for FG. If you're fishing light lines (less than 20lb) then learn the 5 turns surgeons knot!

It's essentially a big granny knot with 5 passes through the loop - easiest knot to tie and MUCH more reliable than the Albright.

Nearly everyone I know who uses the Albright has had issues with it later on!

Sam

Hen and Chook likes this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Had another go last night. Met up there with Dangerous Dave and another guy from another forum. Copious amounts of worms were fed to the small cod gods! DBK forged ahead of us with 4 to our 1 each!

My main objective was to perform the old 'yella on a lure trick'! Still not to be! After snaffling 2 small cod on chatterbaits last week I dropped down in lure size and used a twin tail black soft plastic on a Revhead jig head! The result...I had a tussle with 'cod of the night'! Around 50 cm's...lost it a couple metres from the bank. Not a bad thing to happen in closed season.

Anyway, there is always next time!

19. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    you are wasting your money on the megabass crankbaits, i have caught more GP's and cod on Kokoda G vibes than any other lure in my tackle box, and at $7 a pop, i can get them right into the snags and not cry when i loose it!
    now come in a great range of colour's too, but my fave is the matt black!

20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I got the majority of the Megabass lures for $15 each...am happy with that. Local store couldn't move them at normal price so discounted them for me. Yes, still more than $7 but reality is...I have them so may as well use them!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    I never cry!