1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Sound's like a good session there RB.

kev209 likes this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Things have been rather slow in the channels of late! Have done a few trips on my own and with others...without much results! More to the point...no results! I tried a couple channels near work (Tatura). For this trip I only used lures. I know some yellas had been coming out of one of these channels a few days prior. The channels were in good condition, however, no luck when I was there and from reports on the day, nobody had any luck anywhere!
    outlet channel18.jpg
    Tatura channel18.jpg
    Last Friday evening was spent out at a local channel at Shepp East.
    Dave18.jpg
    The final tally between 3 of us was one carp! We watched the moon rise around midnight and then left about half past 12! Can't say we didn't give it a good go. Bait and lures were used. We left the channel with this view, wondering what is next!
    moon rise18.jpg
    Until next time...cheers!
    Team Bender
    Night shift supervisor!

Sprinter, AWL and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Great photos Jim keep them coming

Rod Bender likes this.
  4. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Must be the calm before the storm the last few times I've been out have been a little slow bring on dec 1st

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out and tried the local channel last Tuesday evening. It was the first time there since the end of November. Previous trips there had shown that there were a few people fishing there. I arrived with about 10 minutes of daylight left...so there may have been people earlier but I had the place to myself.

Threw a shrimp net in and then rigged my rod whilst waiting for shrimp. After rigging I noticed what appeared to be a sign of weakness above the hook. The mono line looked like it had some 'memory' when it wasn't under strain. Reality is I should have re-done the rig. But laziness prevailed.

Cast in and sat back. Didn't have to wait too long for the fish to start biting. And then had one decent hit which broke me off on impact! [​IMG] Ok, I had nobody to blame but myself as I was aware there was a problem. Re-rig and cast out. I did manage to pick up a small cod. My glow stick and bells launched into the water so they were gone. Release the cod and throw the line out again with no glow stick so I can't see a thing. Checked the line after a while...everything was gone! At this point I realise that the line is stuffed and needs replacing.

Keep on fishing anyway but at 1245am I realise I have run out of coffee and biscuits and therefore have to head home! Results could have been a lot better on the night and I will be better prepared next time.

cheers

Jim

AWL, Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Headed out to the local channel last Saturday night. Took my mates two kids and they had a go with yabbies and lures. After working the afternoon in the heat I was happy to sit back. We arrived at about 945...pm. And left around 1230 am. They had several decent bites on yabbies but had no luck in the end.
    full moon channel.jpg
    Next time we may do something radical and fish during daylight hours!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    I like the night life!

7. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Your getting better with that camera Jim

creekboy likes this.
  8. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Ya reckon kev,i cant see a bloody thing other than a car headlight on the water:confused:
    Give daytime a go for sure bender:cool: at least if you catch no fish you can take pic's of thing's we can see:rolleyes:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not really Kev. I take a lot of pics and discard most of them! When I get a tripod it will be a lot better. Anyway, a shipment of Samurai brand rods that I ordered arrived at the local Tackleworld. Time to start getting serious!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Choosing to ignore Team AWOL for now! :mad:

Sprinter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I have seen plenty of pics of late of good size redfin on Facebook. People commenting too that the fish has come back from…wherever they have been. I used to chase them with success in my local channels to the east of Shepparton but have not had any luck. It may be about 4 years or more since I consistently got redfin out there. Anyway, I wondered if by chance the redfin had made a comeback at my old haunts so what better way to find out was to try! The location I tried was one of the most consistent producers all those years ago. I misjudged the time and arrived with less than half an hour of light. But that would be enough if the redfin were active.
    channel 1.JPG
    channel 2.JPG
    The lure I tried was a new one for me. A lure produced by Paul Nicel…the ‘Pimple’. Straight away I wasn’t too happy with it. It seemed to have a small ‘window’ of speed where it works well. Too slow, not good action, too fast and it would skew to the side. For the short time I was there I persisted with it. Unfortunately this did not help my confidence for the short session.
    lure.JPG
    I will say too that I am not condemning this lure to hell! It is a good looking lure and will have a place somewhere! Perhaps ideal in a smaller shallow stream where a lure needs to be retrieved quickly. Next time I am going to use a loop knot on it as well but I am not sure if this will help as I don’t think it will matter as it is tied onto a split ring.

So…no redfin were harmed during this session! I may have to return there at some point armed with heavier gear and throw spinnerbaits around. The main feeder channel upstream has been overrun with cod which seems to have curbed the redfin population and I can only assume that the cod are here. After all, it is only about 500 metres downstream from my favourite channel cod spot!

My pursuit of redfin will continue in other waterways me thinks!

Cheers

Team Bender

If you can’t beat them…chase something else!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Sprinter, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Good try any way, Jim . Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Spent about 3 hours on a channel yesterday afternoon. Dangerous Dave, my mate's two sons and myself. Between us we got about 4 small redfin. Bait rods that were in had no luck! Yabbies and worms were tried I think...I just fished with lures. As one would expect this time of year with no rain there was a reasonable flow.
    channel18.jpg
    Very good conditions! As usual the boys put in a lot of effort. Dave always does as well. Me...meh, a bit more laid back. :cool: Didn't bother getting any pics of the fish but here is a pic of a mountain goat!
    channel bank18.jpg
    That is all peoples!
    Team Bender
    Says what he wants!

creekboy, Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  13. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great fishless report & pic's as usual bender :cool::cool:

No matter what they keep telling people about fishing off rock's,no one listens:(
    The d**k head in your picture should at least be wearing an inflatable vest

Team AWL
    somewhat stunned at the moment:eek:

14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Hope you are sitting down when you read this because I actually caught a fish!:) I will pass on your safety concerns to my mate! Or you can whenever you see him next!:cool: The smallish redfin that I got...it has been about a year since I caught one on lures in the channels!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Smashing 'em!

15. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Sitting down having a beer or 3,so i'm not sure if what im reading is righto_O Pic's or it didn't happen:) Be a while till i see him,had to ban him from my boat for out fishing me all the time:(
    Only good thing about him was with my "no beer's until there is a fish in the boat" policy,was i always could get off to an early start with him on board:cool:

Team AWL
    Smashing 'em (vb's)

16. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Had my mate staying over for the last few days so today was going to be an all-expenses paid (read he has a work car) trip somewhere! But alas, he had to do a few things today so we drove out to a local channel! He had a go with a large Stumpjumper to no avail.

I put a shrimp net in and waited...and waited! Finally got a couple small shrimp that I would normally not bother using but desperate times call for desperate measures. Soon after I got a rather small cod. Checked the shrimp net again...nothing! Thought I would have got some at dusk but nothing!

Finally gave up and went home. The lack of shrimp situation has me baffled. Other people are still getting them in creeks and rivers in the area. Yes it has cooled down but I started getting some back in August! In the warmer months I would go to this location and not take any bait. It is obvious I can not do it now!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    I got nothing to say!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    AWL and kev209 like this.
  17. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Good to see you didn't spoil your average rod blender:cool: Wouldn't worry to much about the lack of shrimp in the channel.You should be right to dig worm's up here by tomorrow arvo if the forecast is correct:)

Team AWL
    filling in jane:)

18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Rod Blender? Don't mess with me...I still have associations with a couple rogue cats! Well the required moisture has arrived but I would guess it may take a while for the worms to reappear. Have to try something as I had a yabbie net in at work yesterday for one yabbie! Which was released as it didn't meet my criteria! I had all summer to try and dig a few bardie grubs at my sister's new property at Cosgrove South but no, I left it. Too late now.

Thanks for filling in for Jane too and ruining my perception of her!:mad: She is now off my list of potential rod holders!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Heavy rain in Benalla today...someone should build an ark!:cool:

creekboy, kev209 and AWL like this.
  19. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I've been told that rogue cats make good Cod bait

Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So...sister wanted to go fishing so of course I had to oblige! We had to sneak a trip in yesterday as my fishing license was due to expire this morning. We sat out at Pine Lodge for a couple hours to no avail! I was using corn as bait whilst I had a shrimp net in. This was to no avail and I did not get one shrimp or yabbie. My sister was using cheese. She had a few decent bites but no luck. I don't even think I got a bite!

It is a location I have never fished before as well.
    channel.JPG
    Like most of my spots it is easily accessible so no doubt heavily fished. My camera shy sister did a runner when the ipad come out but alas...she was not quick enough!:cool:
    Jenny.JPG
    Anyway, as I type this now my fishing license has expired. I am going to Mildura in a couple weeks (I am exempt from needing a NSW license) so that will be my next fishing trip. When I return then I will renew my license and focus on carp eradication and yella C & R from the Nine Mile Creek as well as redfin C & F (catch and fillet) from the Strathbogie area!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Semi-retirement for now!