1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So...here I am again! Bait is a small yabby I got from the creek a week or so ago. My sister will be arriving shortly and I will set her up with scrub worms for bait. Glory awaits!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Come on Jim how many times have we heard this. Best of luck anyway.

creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Somebody has to do the trash talk thing to keep content ticking over here!:) After deciding I wasn't going to work today I thought I would try the channel late evening with lures in search of my first yella on a lure. I rang my sister and told her I would go there for tea afterwards. Yeah...nah...she wanted to go fishing too so she brought tea to me at the channel!

With her fishing I decided to use bait...scrubbies I had left from Strathbogie and one small yabbie from the creek a couple weeks ago. On went the yabbie and things were slow for a little bit! Then the odd bite was happening. The action conveniently commenced after I savaged my chicken schnitzel and veggies! There was 3 coffees in their too from memory!

First fish was a cod around 30 cm's. A while later Murph rang me and as we were talking...another small cod come along so I let my sister handle that one. Just before leaving she dropped a cod, around 30 - 40 cm's as well. She said some hurtful things about my lack of ground speed to get to her with the net!:mad: There are no pics as I don't take pics of cod during the closed season. I may head back tomorrow evening with soft plastics to try for a yella but I don't think I will be trying bait. In some regards it is a good sign that the cod are still there as I know fisheries removed a lot of them when the channels were down.
    Cheers
    Team Schnitzel

creekboy, AWL and kev209 like this.
  4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Good to see the fishys back there RB :cool:
    It's nice to set goals mate,but to catch a yella on a lure,you actually have to use a lure,not sit on your @rse & eat schnitz & 3 veg with a glass of white & watch the sun go down.

Team AWL
    jealous of benders bankside catering arrangements.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out yesterday for about an hour and decided to stick with soft plastics. The weapon of choice to start with.
    plastic.JPG
    I just kept working it slowly along part of the channel which has a rocky bottom, just below a regulator.
    rocks.JPG
    As light faded I changed to a black plastic but to no avail! Not one hit! I did manage to avoid the resident cod population so that was good. I am heading out Thursday arvo with my mate's sons...to an outlet channel at Waranga Basin. Prospects will be better there.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Babysitter for hire!

AWL, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    We attacked the channel last Thursday on what turned out to be a rather windy day.
    andrew fishing18.jpg
    Andrew, my mates son was targeting just below a regulator when I took this pic. At the same time, his younger brother Cam was targeting trees apparently! :D Well, that is what he got! We were all using lures and it was going to be an all out effort to get that elusive yella on a lure. So I did not take bait but at times I did have to sit down and rest my knees. Of course the boys kept at it the little sh!ts!

Soon after Cam found an opening to cast in between some reeds and scored a small redfin...then another. It was rather apparent then that Cam was not moving...happy to catch and release an armada of small redfin! A small blade was doing the trick for Cam. Andrew was trying many lures and I was trying different colored soft plastics. I hooked and dropped what would have been redfin of the day...maybe over 30 cm's and then followed up soon after with one in the high 20's. So I was rather smug and thought I was home with 'fish of the day' and was happy for Cam to take 'most fish of the day'!:cool: The plastic that brought me luck was a largish Strike Tiger orangy grub like thingy!

So as the sun was setting and I had finished for the day, basking in my glory and preparing my speech for my award acceptance...fkn disaster struck!:mad:
    redfin 2 18.jpg
    41 cm's! Caught on a Spro hardbody lure.
    redfin close 18.jpg
    That is all! Now you will have to excuse me as I seek counselling!
    Team Bender
    Everybody hurts...sometimes!

7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Well done, Jim. It had to happen sooner or later. Good luck with the councelling. Cheers, creekboy.

Rod Bender likes this.
  8. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    PS. Nice reddie. Cheers, creekboy.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Well that was fun! Fished for just short of an hour with no luck. The water was a bit dirty but still fishable with lures. I tried five different lures to no avail. My sister come out as well and tried soft plastics without luck. One positive is I am actually trying some lures that I have had sitting around doing nothing. I think I need to find a new yella spot, as in a spot that actually has yellas!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Never surrenders!

kev209, creekboy and AWL like this.
  10. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Least you had fun bender:cool:

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went for ride on the bus the other day to a local shopping centre. Was walking through the complex and then heard a fellow bus person (we Shepparton bus persons are a special breed) calling out to me. I turned to see him appoaching me frantically. What is wrong I thought?

And then he told me..."the redfin are biting in the 'main' channel"! Further info divulged was the fish were being caught on worms and shrimp. Not certain if you went there with yabbies for bait if you will have any luck! So after quickly processing all the info I decided not to get too exited!

On another note, I didn't bother fishing on my days off this week due to the heat. I thought about going out for an evening session but was put off by the easterly winds. I should have gone regardless. This time next week will see the cod season open in Vic. Before then I may head to the creek on a bait (yabbie) collecting mission whilst having a go at the carp comp. Until then, all I will be doing is replacing the 12 lb line that let me down last time vs the carp. 6 kg Platypus Pretest is now stepping up!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Not stepping up to DEFCON 1 redfin mode yet!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Roving Rod reporting live from the channel! Two cars have left in the last fifteen minutes and there are another two guys fishing. The place is taking a hammering!

On a different note, I did attempt to travel to Strathbogie earlier this arvo for a redfin session as well as a rescue attempt for AWL's mother in law but abandoned the idea not far from home due to having to travel through some water. I have no doubt I could have made it as it was but was uncertain as to whether the water was rising so turned back.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, AJ Fishman, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  13. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Just remember it's finders keeper's bender;)

14. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    so both the redfin and mum in-law are relieved, cheers davo:)

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Update...'meals on wheels' arrived earlier!:) The original yabbie is still out there doing its thing. Two young guys earlier got a yella on a lure! I tried lures earlier but am now sitting with sis talking. At this point I have not got a shrimp that will fit on a hook. Overall, this place is a hive of inactivity!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Just started drinking the first coffee!

16. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    Say hi to sis and I bet she outfishes you, cheers davo

17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not this time! She looked after my bait rod when I tried lures. We were getting a few bites on the yabbie just before dark. When I was stuffing around taking pics the rod bent over. I left it for Jenny but the fish escaped! Some ominous looking clouds were coming over so I left the fish biting.

No fish were landed...but the only concern for me was we only got one shrimp that was bait size!
    Cheers
    Jim

18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    What was my last fishing session for 2017 occurred last Friday in between the wind and the rain! I have been hesitant to go of late due to a painful issue with my foot but I was forced to go and protect my cod as word spread of an invasion of cod catch & release poachers based out of Nagambie.

With my goal set for the night (to not catch anything) I settled in. One rod baited with a yabbie vs Dangerous Dave's rod baited with cheese. I really did not want to have to get out of my chair much! Dave got some decent bites whilst my yabbie offering did not appeal to the cod gods! I do not use cheese for bait (when chasing cod) but of course do not have problems with others using it. Why do I not use cheese? I just like using natural baits and prefer not to buy bait. Although I do make an exception with corn for carp.

Some people will only fly fish, some only use lures...I am not that hardcore but when bait fishing I prefer to use natural (free) bait. Anyway, it costs me in fish as many times Dave's cheese offerings have outdone anything I have used.

By the end of the night I had achieved my goal!:cool: Dave finished the night with a 50'ish cm cod that he is going to post a pic soon! Despite being fishless it was great just sitting out there. A visit to my doctor has eased the foot problem and I am looking forward to a trip this Tuesday...a combination of cod opening/yella on a lure and win the carp comp in one hit!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Unstoppable!

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  19. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    20171229_192646.jpg

Ok Jim, I may have forgot to post this one, cheers davo

20. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Best change your user name Davo from DeeBeeKay to Cod King

Rod Bender and creekboy like this.