1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Besides fishing.......

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Oct 3, 2017.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Call me a sticky beak or just curious, but what else besides fishing do you lot get up to?

Tell us your story, do you have a passion for other pursuits?

I've always been a mad keen rockhound, I enjoy identifying and collecting different minerals and the physical activity helps to keep me reasonably fit and healthy - for an 'old fart' that is. I recently decided to add geocaching to the short list of things to do when I'm not flicking a lure or digging holes and even though I could never go at it with the same enthusiasm and passion that I have for fishing and fossicking, I find it to be a challenging and satisfying past-time.

What do you get up to?

Jeff :cool:

2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I do a bit of voluntary work in the community, love old Trucks, got hundreds of photos but don't go to many shows these days.

creekboy, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I do some volunteer work with the CFA. I am a member of a non-operational brigade and when we are required, it is usually in the local control centre either on standby on high fire danger days or during large fires or incidents. Thankfully it has been slow. A few days over the last couple years on standby when fortunately nothing happened and a couple days in the centre with floods along the Murray.

Two things I want to get into, astronomy and shooting! I definitely want to get a telescope in the next 6 months and perhaps a rifle by the end of next year. Everything takes time with me!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Procrastinators of the world unite...tomorrow!

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've got a bit of a liking for old trucks also, Kev. I recently found a paddock full of old Blitzes and early 40's & 50's Bedfords, Fargos, Chevs etc out in Winton. They were behind a 2 metre chain-mail fence and I couldn't get in to have a good look at them. Obviously, whoever owned them knew the value and didn't want anybody messing with them.

I visited a place in Chillagoe FNQ, a few years back and met a real character by the name of Tom Prior who had been collecting old Fords since the end of the second world war, especially those that had been left in the scrub by the yanks up on Cape York. His collection was open to the public for whatever you wanted to donate in cash - I was so fascinated that I slung him $50 just for the privilege of meeting the man - an absolute legend of the north.

The truck in the pic below was completely buried except for just a small piece of it sticking out of the ground when he found it . He dug it out, towed it back to Chillagoe, cleaned it up and got it going again.

016) Tom Prior's private collection, Chillagoe.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I was always a bit different. For 30 years we were heavy into community service work through Apex and Lions clubs; having some very happy times with big personal satisfaction rewards. Even earlier, we both helped with YMCA kids clubs. Have played most sports, but competitive trap shooting left all others behind. When I gave it away I was fortunate to hold A Grade status in all three branches of the sport; Trap, Trench, and Skeet. Shot the Australian National Championships a few times, but only achieved one fifth place there in a field of 800 shooters. Used to shoot around 25-28000 shells a year.
    The most hated subject at school was English. In latter years it became of great value and outside fishing, the main hobby now is writing, mainly regular travel articles for Caravan and Motorhome magazine.
    Have the manuscripts of two books sort of completed and started with publishing one (about the first two year trip around Australia) but sacked the publisher when we found we were being conned. The other is 'Of Fish, Fishers, and Fishing' (anecdotal wanderings through the life of an ordinary fisherman), and covers most of what can be recalled from age four or five. Both run around 80-90000 words.
    In later years we have wandered OZ, covering close to 140000kms with caravans, loved every minute of it, and still try to do what we can. Have just returned from three months in Darwin, and were away six months. Old fisho

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    If you didn't already know; I think today is D Day for creekboy who needs surgery on his hand. Hope all goes well Lyall and that you're back on the road again soon. Noel.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Yep. today is his big day I'll ring him or Elaine later tonight to see how things went. Another very nice couple Lyn and I have met through the Forum

creekboy and diesel like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Nice sort of guy. We don't have his number, so please pass on our best wishes. Thanks. N.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Diesel, if I remember right didn't Chev also make a Blitz. Could be wrong. Thank's for posting the photo.
    I drove an old acco butterbox petrol Melbourne to Adelaide a 17 and a half hour trip, the company also ran a Ford simlar to the one on the right in the photo. S**t hot gear in those days.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Will do

creekboy likes this.
  11. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Many & varied interests there fella's great stuff :cool:
    I'm not into much these days other than camping & fishing. Still have the odd shot over at the farm or a mates place.
    Bender if you want to get into shooting have a look at trap(shotgun) like noel used to do very well at by the sound of it:cool: There's a club out at the old quarry that has introductory days for interested people.A decent hunting rifle and scope is a lot dearer than a shotty.

All the best creekboy

12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    They sure did Kev and I think they were all made in Canada. They shared an almost identical cab design to the Ford so as to meet the British standard. Most of the Fords were V8 and the Chevs were a straight six.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That is something that I would be very interested in reading, Noel.

AWL, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I was a keen shooter in my early days, Jim, both field and target shooting. Lost interest back in the 90's and concentrated more on fishing and gold detecting.

Astronomy has always been an interest to me and I bought a cheap Tasco reflector telescope about 15 years ago to view Mars when it was at it's closest distance to Earth. The first time I set it up, the dog knocked it over and buggered something inside and so endeth my venture into star gazing.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I raced motorbikes for many years. Last time I was sent overseas I decided it was best to sell up since I was going to be gone for a while. Kind of regret that and wish I could get back into it. Too expensive to start from scratch now. Oran Park 28-2.jpg

AWL, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Top photo Sprinter, would that be Oran Park by any chance?

Sprinter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Kev, on a trip to Germany in 2005, I convinced my wife that I should look around for a cheap Mercedes Unimog and have it shipped back to Oz. There was such an abundance of them throughout the country that they were selling at ridiculously low prices, but I failed to find the one that I wanted in the short time that we were there. I went close to buying a Deutz (ex fire truck) though and almost clinched the deal. I've kicked myself ever since for not offering just that little bit more.

IMG_0060.JPG

I served my apprenticeship with MAN Trucks and the mechanics of the Deutz are almost identical. It was a real beast, 4wd V8 diesel - go anywhere. It would have made the ultimate fishing vehicle.

It was the one that got away.

18. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I drove a Deutz a couple of times, being air cooled they were a noisy bloody things. Going back to the late 80 early 90 the MFB ran an old 1966 Deutz ladder out of Windsor Fire station. I think they had a few, single drive and bogey drive. If I remember right later on they got a couple of new models with buckets.
    MAN wern't a bad truck if you could find someone who could drive a pogo stick. I think it was MAN that had a column shift and a splitter along side of the drivers seat. I can remember our old mechanic saying MAN stood for many alterations needed. They have come a long way as there are quite a few on the road now

diesel, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  19. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Thank to Kev, Noel and AWL for thinking of my op. All went well except for the pain once the local wore off last night. Things are starting to settle down now. Cheers, creekboy.

AWL, diesel, Sprinter and 1 other person like this.
  20. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I like working on computers and as its my primary business I love it- going to site and visiting people from all backgrounds in all types of places and businesses is great fun and I even like to take sme stuff home with me- recently I starting going a bit nuts for Apple Mac stuff so I am searching for a Mac Laptop I can muck around with. I used to work at Apple years ago and now I just want to get back into it for the fun of it- and I also have a few customers who need Apple support so its a bit of a win-win for everyone really :p

I also love boats, old skool muscle cars, 4WDing and surfing- Ive had a few old Torana and Valiant cars over the years but I dont do any of these actively any more but I still love reading all about them and seeing mad piccies on the web of souped up cars. My old man was the first person in NSW to own a HK Monaro and I still got the original paper clip when he and my Mum bought it from Noble Holden in Gosford, he was a bit of a rev head and had plenty of great cars like a worked XA 4dr sedan and a mild 253 HJ Premier. I got some mates who are big into cars and boats so I get plenty of intel talking to them, I dont need to spend $$$$ on cars and boats any more I think I have done that plenty over the years.
    I grew up surfing so that part has always stayed with me, might explain my obsession with beach fishing cause thats what my grandfather taught me to do after my Dad dies when I was 8yo, I've always had a thing for the ocean and would explain why I became a waxhead pretty young... I would surf early in the morning while my grandfather searched for holes and gutters to chase the 'ting, bream and jewies on the rising tides, then after lunch each day go beach worming and then after dinner go fishing till late...

I also love reading- esp fantasy and adventure novels, so I have read a bunch of books in the last few years- Im currently reading Stephen King' IT. Great book. Ive read the whole lot of Robyn Hobb's books recently and I started getting into some Clive Cussler a while ago aswell.

But NOTHING compares to my obsession with fishing. I reckon I will fish till the day I die. My grandfather loved it so much he died on the beach chasing Jews up the north coast, miles from anywhere he had a heart attack... I wonder if he knew this was going to be his last day and did something he loves so much and tought me about?

AWL, diesel, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.