1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Besides fishing.......

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Good eye Jeff it is indeed. Very sad when it closed. Was a much more interesting track than Eastern Creek.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I went through a stage in my life where I had an obsession for petrol guzzling muscle cars Anthony and it culminated with me lashing out and buying a '77 Corvette in the early 80's. I can't remember the name of the firm that did the RHD conversions, but they were in Taren Point.

This was the beast, 454 cubic inches of pure grunt. Driving around Sydney in the wet, it was downright dangerous because it always wanted to go sideways the moment you gave it a bit of throttle - I loved driving it though.

Corvette - 1982.jpg

Jeff :cool:

Sprinter, AWL, reelaxation and 4 others like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Sitting on the hill at Oran Park on a Sunday watching the bikes - for spectators, you couldn't find a better raceway.

Sprinter and creekboy like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I must have missed something along the way, Lyall, what was wrong with your hand and how does it or will it affect your fishing?

creekboy likes this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jeff. I had a trigger ring finger ( left hand ) my main hand. Fishing should be ok once it heals. I will know more 13th of oct, when I have my follow up appointment. Thank you for taking the time to ask. Cheers, creekboy. (Lyall)

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Classic pic's there sprinter & diesel :cool::cool:

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Hi All

Wasnt quite sure where to put this. This thread seemed as good as any.:)

"Besides fishing" I work and...just found out Ive been posted overseas again. Looks like Im spending the next two to three years in Port Vila. Could be a lot worse.:D

I have to be there in January so I doubt Ill be doing much fishing between now and then but hopefully once I get there and settle in Ill have something to report.

Of course once Im settled anyone on here that can make their way to Port Vila is more than welcome to contact me and gets a bed if needed as well ;)

8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Hope you stay in touch in that lovely part of the world (in between cyclones)

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    and earthquakes and volcanoes:D

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    touche'

creekboy, Sprinter and kev209 like this.
  11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    And "FISH". Cheers, creekboy.

kev209, Old fisho and Sprinter like this.
  12. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I`m into Amateur Radio (Ham). Been a bit slack lately, but like getting out & working a portable station when camping & talking to people around the world. Have a HF radio in the 4by & usually throw a wire antenna up in a tree for a bit more range. Have talked to people in the USA, South America, Hawaii, Tahiti, Russia, Europe, Canada & even Antarctica.
    Had an interesting conversation once with a fellow in Canada who was on his way out Moose hunting & I was on my way home from fishing.
    Also do a bit of radio contesting (yes, there is such a thing). it involves setting up a station, usually on top of a hill for UHF/VHF & seeing how far away you can make a contact.

Mate Cris operating the UHF/VHFradio gear.
    [​IMG]

Old Firetower we used to commandeer for contesting with the antennas set up
    [​IMG]

Sprinter, Rod Bender, AWL and 4 others like this.
  13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Something I confess to not knowing anything about. Thanks for the info. Noel

creekboy, Ditch and kev209 like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    PS. Great view from the window

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  15. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    New nothing about it either until a few years ago Noel. Very interesting hobby with many different aspects. A lot of today's modern communications came about from Amateur operators tinkering in their sheds. Around 14,000 licensed operators in Australia, millions in the US.

A nice view is a must when your doing a 24 hour long contest!.

Old fisho, AWL, diesel and 2 others like this.
  16. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    You should know me by now AWOL! I intend on spending a gazillion dollars!:cool: I have been inspired by my supervisor at work who shoots foxes and fluffy bunnies at work. I don't think I would shoot hares as I am too much of a softie but will happily blow a fox away! They use a John Deere Gator for transport and a spotlight...rifle is a .22 I guess with a scope. Me on the other hand, realising that I won't always have transport available and knowing my mobility limitations and also influenced by my use of thermal cameras at work, have decided to possibly go down the road of night vision scopes!:eek: Lots of money but if I can afford it, I will. Will be way down the track if I do do it. I don't know why but I think the idea of adopting a snipers position on a comfy seat in the middle of nowhere whilst 'whistling' foxes and drinking coffee is rather appealing! May even go and pursue the black panther over at 'Bogie'!

Also, one of my previous orchard boss's is a member of the rifle club so I do have the contacts thanks. Boss man at work said I can have a go as well. I assume you can shoot under supervision as long as you are on a location where the licensed gun operator is allowed to shoot?

Last year there was a 'come and try astronomy' night near Shepparton. I am glad I went! I had pre-conceived ideas of seeing tennis ball size images of the planets through the scope. How wrong I was! But the moon was fantastic. Now I know what to expect, otherwise I would have been disappointed. Advice on the night was good, especially in regards to not spending to much money on your first scope.
    Cheers
    Team Blinder
    Waiting for my Nobel Peace Prize for scientific contributions.

Old fisho, diesel, Sprinter and 2 others like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Am still doing things 'beside fishing', because there's no option. Yesterday was the day to run through everything and make sure all was well before the first big on water excursion since February. Boat batteries charged, new fuel in the tank; connected the water to test start the 40 Evinrude, and it jumped into operation. Perfect. Tried the Watersnake on the bow: Nothing happened. New battery needed in the remote. Then it was perfect too. Only major thing left was the electric winch. Disaster. Nothing once again. More new remote batteries, and it made a noise. But press to wind in and it wound OUT. PANIC. Press 'out' and absolutely nothing happened.

Where I launch it's shallow, is great with the tilt trailer, and was warned off using a manual winch. Pulled everything to bits as I do and found nothing obvious. Sent an email to my electronics guru mate in Canberra. After a couple of phone calls and more testing, we agreed the relay that switches from one direction to the other had failed, probably due to dirty contacts. Couldn't find an identical one on the net so Monty wants it sent to him. He will unseal it, take the bits out, clean them as he does and rebuild and seal it.

So; no fishing before next week. Meeting the family in Braidwood for lunch Saturday and they will bring the repaired bit with them.

Next Friday, 20th, we go to Wallaga Lake near Bermagui. Have been there often, but never fished it. Has a good reputation as flathead water. Bought a 10 night stay in the van park there on Travel Auctions, and must use it before 31st Oct. Will take the van down, then come back and get the boat. It's only 40+kms. The guru and another fisho mate are coming with their ladies at different times as well, so hopefully will soon have something to brag about. Noel

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    And the honourable Kev and lady Lyn must be getting close to their cruise departure date. Hopefully we'll get regular updates as they go. (perhaps we could boycott him if he doesn't comply?) What think you? Noel.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  19. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Very close Noel fly to Sydney Saturday afternoon, board the ship Sunday around noon. Then 10 days doing nothing but relaxing. I tried to smuggle a hand line into our case, just a thought, drop it over the side of the ship.

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Don't they have a game chair at the blunt end of the boat, Kev?

Jeff :D

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.