1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Besides fishing.......

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Oct 3, 2017.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    On a clear dark night, I can see 4 of the moons of Jupiter with a pair of 7x50 binoculars - sometimes I see 8 depending on how much Bundy I have consumed :D

Jeff :cool:

kev209, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Does that strengthen your natural vision, or does it broaden the width of your picture? Have you tried it with a pair of schooner glasses?

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that I read on a Bundy bottle label that it cures coughs, colds, sore holes, brewers droop and tapeworm, Noel, but not known to strengthen natural vision. It does however, like all quality alcoholic beverages, broaden one's field of vision by providing multiple images of the same object and it is for this reason that 'gun' dart players are usually full blown drunkards - the more dart boards they can see, the better the chance of hitting one.

No, I have not tried viewing the heavens with a pair of schooner glasses, but I have given my navel a rather detailed inspection through the bottom of a whiskey tumbler, or so one of my old fishing mates claimed the morning after he poured me into my swag. Don't seem to recall much about the event.

Jeff :D

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have a soft spot for good single malt scotches, but can't/won't drink cheapies.

And yes, these things can have amazing effects on sight.

On board an old mate's boat at Merimbula; we'd sailed it up the coast from Mallacoota over night a couple of nights earlier. And I guess, during the afternoon, during dinner on board, and of course finishing dinner with a glass or two of good port (Bottles are glass aren't they?) we perhaps had a few. Next morning he told me I was so drunk he couldn't see me.

Among other things it can also affect distance. Old Stan believed it was 87 steps up the hill from the mooring to the pub, but 107 on the way back.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    She who must be obeyed said don't even think of taking any fishing gear. I was just thinking I would do the right thing she could go shopping or on a tour and I could have a fish off the pear.

diesel, Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Most chivalrous of you my good man. What a pity your unselfish, considerate, and kind thoughts have been quashed.

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Many moons ago I was running Melbourne Adelaide, left Melbourne around 10 am on the Sunday morning to unload first thing Monday morning. I popped into a barby at Bacchus Marsh, got into Adelaide on Wednesday afternoon, to this day I don't know what happened to Monday and Tuesday. Maybe they were cancelled for some reason I don't know.

creekboy, AWL, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Spoke to the electronics guru yesterday after he received the above boat winch relay. Curious indeed. Inside the fully sealed unit, the mechanical switches that change from winding in to winding out, were completely rusted and seized. Under his big magnifier, there are no signs of cracks anywhere, and the melt-sealed relay is mounted inside a second cover that screws up from the bottom. Yet he says the relay must have had lots of water in it to do such damage. We have no idea how this could happen due to the way it is all assembled, apart from his belief that the water was somehow there during manufacture. Crazy, crazy, but it's all working normally again, and some family are delivering it when we meet along the road for lunch Saturday. Soon be able to get on the water again. We were unable to identify the relay in catalogues, so repair was necessary instead of replacing it. I'm assured it will never fail again. Noel.

BON VOYAGE TO KEV AND LYN AS THEY DEPART ON THEIR CRUISE THIS WEEKEND.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Maybe a good coating of silicone around the relay before you re-install it, Noel. I do that often on relays in the engine bay of the Landcruiser where water ingress may cause problems - it might look a bit messy, but it helps to stop problems down the track somewhere.

When I lived up in Darwin and working for Toyota, one of the common electrical faults that we had to remedy during the wet season was failing relays due to little black ants getting in and jamming the contacts. Had one Camry that the ants had jammed the central locking relay in the activate position and the constant current fused all the door actuators. Because all 4 doors were locked, I had to gain entry through the boot and once I managed to get inside I had to remove the door trims to access the fused actuators - a hell of a job with the doors closed. The total bill came to just under $4,000 - the customer was not impressed, considering a can of ant spray was only about $4.00.

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Jeff. That's done as part of the reassembly. I guess they must eat their way into the relay casing. Doesn't sound like tasty stuff to me. Ants can be a problem up the top, and across to Broome where we knew of people with plastic eaten off wiring, causing all sorts of shorts and damage. Noel

11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    We reckoned that the ants were just seeking a dry nesting spot and the little buggers would completely fill the reay casings. Rats in the engine bay and chomping on cable insulation was a big problem also, but an easy way to stop that happening was a low wattage light under the bonnet.

ps. I'm enjoying your book Noel. I'm a bit of a slow reader at times, but once I have finished, I will give an honest appraisal. What I have read so far is good stuff.

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thank you

13. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Noel, Fly to Sydney tomorrow morning, board the Ship around noon and 4pm were off for 10 wonderful nights

14. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, kev. You and Lyn have a ripper time. Cheers creekboy.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  15. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's CB we are both looking forward to it.

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    And we expect some reports too

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Will do my best

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    creekboy, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  18. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Have a good trip kev:):)

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Lyall. We haven't heard otherwise. Can we assume the hand op is going OK? Noel

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  20. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Sorry, Noel. I have been a bit slack, all went well with the op, almost back to normal. Cheers. creekboy.

kev209, AWL, diesel and 1 other person like this.