1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Carp virus discussion...Victoria.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    AWL, creekboy, Ditch and 2 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    If and when they release the virus, the clean up is going to be huge. In no way am I knocking those on the Dole, as some have legitimate reasons. The program work for the Dole could be used to help clean up the dead carp. OMI

diesel, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hmm. Very interesting post there Jim. Keep the reports coming. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    From what I have heard previously, they will be hoping a large volunteer contingent (from angling clubs etc) will assist with the clean up. There may be paid contractors as well.

Also from memory, fisheries are in favour of releasing the virus if all the research comes up good.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hope they don't stuff it up more than the carp have. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    They still haven't convinced me that it will not harm other wild life

diesel likes this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm yet to be convinced also, Kev. Australia does not have a good track record when handling invasive pests regardless of whether it is fish, insects, mammals or vegetation. Sure, a lot of research has been conducted into the Koi virus and authorities seem to be satisfied that it will not jump species and become a threat to our native fish, but in the event of the virus morphing into a different strain, what then???

Jeff :(

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.