1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Cod opening!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    After a spectacular day at work today with Team AJ, and Team AJ's dad, I have the day off tomorrow regardless of rain or not. I thought about getting some sleep this evening then heading out about 2am prior to the rain. A check of the radar showed some rain which may be about 5 hours away and with nothing prepared, I decided against it.

In the unlikely event there is a chance Friday evening I may get out but am not holding much hope. Today's effort at work ensures I have next Tuesday and Wednesday off so Tuesday may be it.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Yabbies are at DEFCON 2!

AWL, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    This is only 3rd hand info at lunch time from someone who has family camped up on the river for this weekends classic.The fishing was good this morning,till the rain come through about 9ish.
    The rangers are going around the camp's in the bush making sure everyone is aware of what is going on weather wise and telling them to be out by lunchtime sunday as gm-w are currently planning to up the release from yarrawonga weir from sunday.Ironically, as i write this i'm listening to reports of problems with out of control bush fires around cann river & point hicks in gippsland.
    Hope the rain gets to them too.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I regret not going this morning...the rain I thought was going to happen around midnight never eventuated. As there wasn't much else to do this morning I dropped into two of the local tackle stores...they were busy. I would think people who would have been away did the next best thing!

I overheard one guy (not a staff member) in a tackle store talking on the phone....something along the line of either 13 or 17 before the rain. I'm assuming he was talking about cod and to protect the identity of the river in question we shall refer to it as the 'busted' river!

I have wasted most of the day but may sort though my gear later and get ready for a likely trip Tuesday arvo. I had a look at the creeks in question (online river heights) and their level has not changed. One of them originates in the foothills near Wangarrata so I guess it will come to life eventually.
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209 and AWL like this.
  4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Heard they are now releasing water from lake buffalo and lake william hovell to make room for inflows.Next stop is the murray.Makes sense to increase yarrawonga about sunday.

kev209 likes this.