1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

CornaCarpio's Carp Culling Capers!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CornaCarpio, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I may have asked you before but do you fish at all after dark? Carp and natives remain active. Redfin shut down a lot but. Perhaps 50% or more of my fishing is done nocturnally now.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Night owl!

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Can't say I do a lot of night fishing, but come to think of it, one of the first carp I can ever remember catching was during the night on the banks of the Wimmera River around Dimboola.

And possibly my biggest ever redfin (probably around 3lb) was caught at night from Lake Boroopki.

CC
    Night Owl...but not when it comes to fishing.

3. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Headed out today in very pleasant conditions. Got 9 all up - 2 small ones and 7 micros. All taken on bread.

+9

The Art of Reading Water

The ability to read water with fish in it is something that comes with experience and a knowledge of the habits and the peculiarities of various species. Some of the “old timers” have developed this art to a point where it seems instinct. Some have greater aptitude for it than others, some have keener senses. Aborigines can easily see fish in the water where the white angler would have difficulty in detecting them, if he could see them at all.

Gregory’s Fishing Guide (1967), 5th edition, pp.59-60

27653465_10156257710060362_1641683900_o (1).jpg

27707628_10156257748430362_330011746_o (1).jpg

4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Keep up the good work! Sooner or later I am going to sort out a comp and it may be carp related...a biggest carp, TBX member vs member battle to the death extravaganza!:cool: It will just be like old days...cats vs Corn Chips!:mad:
    Cheers
    Team Legion
    For we are many!

AJ Fishman, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  5. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Bring it on!

May I suggest a smallest carp comp? ;)

CC
    Cat Connoisseur

6. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    1 X micro mini carpio

27786410_10156260667670362_1950199514_o (1).jpg

7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Getting in some practice I see! I will definitely go with largest carp. I will try and get organised over the next few weeks and will run the comp well into the year. What is your PB carp by the way?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Sussing out the opposition!

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    My PB is "well over" 70cm!

In fact, I might start a thread of all my prized 70cm+ catches. (There's about 2 of them). Not only to demonstrate my prowess - but to scare you and your furry friends into submission :mad:

Trouble is, I only seem to catch one 70cm+ model once every super blue blood moon :(

Corn Chips
    Talking the talk!

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    That's a whole lot of fish in a short time. Perhaps we need an injection of carp down here, but seriously, I hope we don't get one. What do you do with those killed? Fished all those lakes when we lived in Ararat. Some great water. Wartook used to be my favourite, closely followed by Fyans. I'm surprised the number of carp in Taylors haven't dirtied the water to any great extent.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    When fishing in an urban environment, I now return all the carp I catch to the water- when they are dead! I generally bop them on the head then puncture their body with a stick or screwdriver so they sink to the bottom. This is actually a really good idea and one that is endorsed by Fisheries Victoria (or whatever they're called these days). I reckon I could get fishing banned in Gardiner's Creek in less than a week if I just left the carp laying on the bank, but by returning them to the water - dead - and when they sink to the bottom, there's no smell and no one is none the wiser - the dog walkers, the passers by and the cycle of life continues - the carp then becomes food for yabbies and other fish. I must admit, when fishing in the country, particularly in isolated areas, I have been guilty of leaving carp on or near the bank. In the past I have also brought them home to use as fertiliser, but I no longer do this (I had literally hundreds of carp buried in the backyard at one stage).

Re: Lake Fyans (and other Wimmera waters). I have caught some good fish at Fyans over the years - mainly trout - never scored a 4-5lb reddie that the lake is famous for, but I never get 'excited' about going there as it is very hit and miss, and probably more 'miss' than 'hit' for me. Taylors Lake, on the other hand, 'gets me going'. I'm always excited every time I go there, as I am always reasonably confident of getting at least something and something of a reasonable size. What's more is there is a good variety of fish to catch - carp (obviously), cod, yellowbelly, silver perch and redfin. Since it has been regularly stocked with cod it has become even better.

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  11. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Headed down to the creek tonight in very pleasant conditions. I thought this was going to be like all my other trips down to the creek recently - fishless! And it nearly was, until my float started bobbing around. Not even enough to submerge it, but on the end of it was a nice carp to the tune of 40cm that gave a great account of itself, as most creek carp do.

I caught it in front of an audience, which is kind of a double-edge sword; good because I got to 'show-off' (people seemed really surprised that there are fish in GC) and possibly bad because I don't want to share my spot with any would-be anglers next time I head down there.

But all in all it was a great little session. Great to get back on the Gardiner's Creek board - I haven't caught a fish there for what seems like weeks and weeks!

CC
    Might have to invest in a brag-mat!

Some General Hints and Tips
    The art of successful fishing has been briefly described as “Placing a tempting bait in front of a hungry fish”. Although there is a little more to it than that, the tempting nature of your bait is of the utmost importance; and it must be tempting at the time you present it to the fish. Having obtained your bait, then you should be very careful to keep it in the best condition possible.

Concise Handbook of Australian Fishing (1947) by “Taggerty”, National Handbook No.19, Robertson & Mullens Limited, Melbourne, p.83

27628632_10156266380375362_1410081495188715664_o (2).jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Good to see a result in the end!
    Did you have to kill it in front of an audience or were you able to avoid that. I am not sure a lot of people would understand killing a fish for no apparent reason...of course there is a reason but they wouldn't know.

You mentioned in a previous post that fisheries endorse returning carp to the water in Vic. Whilst it is only the second year they have this printed it in their guide, you have been able to return them to the water dead for a while. I am not sure how long for but as it was previously worded..."not to be returned to the water alive"...you could always return them dead.

It sounds as though you may have found out the same thing I found out, returning them dead to flowing water or deep water is fine but I am not sure how effective it is if you are fishing a shallow lake edge. The bodies just mount up on the waters edge.

Last but not least...am going to play some mind games now to torment you prior to the comp! Remember these guys? Hope you have nightmares tonight!:cool:
    sparkles.JPG
    Suffer in your jocks loser!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Thinks he is a cat!

13. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    In short - I was able to avoid it. A walker by asked "are you going to use it for bait or are you going to eat it?" I said "I will use it for bait" as I was reeling it in. Yes, you're right, not many people do understand, especially in an urban environment. If confronted, I try to explain that carp are a pest and must be killed by law (I might also add I enjoy catching them). I also try to be as discrete as possible when fishing, including the capture of the live specimen and release of the carcass.

I think it was your post, possibly on another forum, where you said you ran into a fisheries officer who suggested eviscerating the carp and then returning it to the water. I have had to be very creative in how I dispose of carp over the years - I've done nearly everything - buried them in the backyard, put them in bins, left them on the bank, fed them to pelicans, kept them for cray bait. For a while there I was not sure if you could return a carp to the water - even if it was dead - for fear of spreading their eggs, but it seems to be the case that eggs from dead carp can't be fertilised. I must say, returning them to the water dead is a good idea and one of the most 'cleanest' ways to get rid of them both from a fishing and non-fishing perspective (and I obviously don't chuck them back in two feet of water - I try to find a suitable location and leave as little evidence as possible).

CC
    Wish I could chuck the cats back in the water - dead or alive! :mad:

14. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    A moggy when did they let you out. There goes the neighbourhood.

diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  15. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    After feeling particularly lazy today and watching at least 2 movies on the couch, I forced myself to go outside and get some fresh air (in my defence, it was threatening to rain all day and a chance of thunderstorms). And what better way to get some fresh air to go fishing. I went to a spot where there is always carp, but not always on the bite. Today proved to be no different. I could literally see them swimming around and snubbing my bait - going right up to it, nosing it, then doing a U-bolt, often flicking the hook with their tail which would make the float move. Nothing I did seemed to entice them. My bread was pretty stale from when I last bought it and tossed most of it in as burley, hoping to excite a 'strike'. It did not work. There was bread on top of the water and bread on the bottom. The carp seemed to avoid it at all costs.

When I was down to my last usable piece of bread, I dropped it right down on teh margin of the bank to where I knew they were, even though I was blind sided due to some excessive overgrowth on the bank. After a minute or two my float twitched and I struck right away. Finally a hook-up. Gave me a real good run for my money, which is standard for the creek. It tried getting me snagged on a submerged log and then in an overhanging tree. Thankfully I won both battles and was finally able to net it. Would have gone close to 60cm and was probably one of the smaller models I saw, but I was just happy I got something. Sometimes persistence pays.

+1

CC
    Really needs to get a brag-mat

Habitat and feeding
    Carp are the happiest in the warmer water of ponds and slowly moving streams, in particular those with a muddy bottom and a few will even venture into the sea, if the water is sufficiently brackish.

Encyclopedia of Australian Fishing (1979), Bay Books, 157-167 Bayswater Road, Rushcutters Bay, NSW, Volume I, part 15, p.586

27951289_10156278196555362_1163587816_o (2).jpg

27946058_10156278195375362_1415477724_o (1).jpg

16. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Saw a few big units swimming around today, but was unable to tempt any of them. I suspect they may be spawning (again).

+0

CC
    Losing my mojo!

28000128_10156284446855362_1543389010_o.jpg

27999075_10156284246290362_518358741_o.jpg

17. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    I've been having a torrid time down at the creek of late. Yesterday was a case in point. I actually managed to tempt two carp (probably pictured above - same spot) to take my bait! But thats about all they did. The first one snagged itself on a log and the second went absolutely nuts, wish I had a GoPro or some other recording device. The reel was absolutely zinging and the carp went on two massive runs before ejecting the hook from its mouth. They were both fairly decent fish as well, in my estimate probably over 60cm each. Leaving the creek fishless - after two hook-ups, kind of left me in a bad mood as I pondered what might have been.

I was feeling a little dejected today, and after trying the creek for about 15 minutes and 'not feeling it' I decided to head off to one of my new-found spots, where I knew I would catch something, even if it would only be small. Well, I didn't have to wait long before I caught my first carp, which probably turned out to be the biggest for the day. As soon as my float hit the water, it was getting smashed by micro carp. I couldn't actually keep up with 2 rods, so I just put 1 in before getting into a 'rhythm'. Float bobbles, give it a second, then strike. Repeat x55. It was constant.

Part of the reason I started recording my carp catches is to highlight how prolific they really are. This is only a small waterway and is absolutely infested - as is every waterway that holds carp. It may not look like it, but there's over 50 carp in the pic below. It's hard to imagine that every 70cm carp was once this size.

+55

CC

Carp Catcher

A boon to anglers
    As a sport fish carp are highly regarded in Europe and England. They offer a strong challenge, being very powerful and capable of destroying a fisherman’s tackle. In England fishermen were rubber soled shoes and creep along the bank in an attempt to surprise them when feeding. They also rinse their hands in an aromatic before touching the bait, lest the fish be frightened off by human odour. The best baits are worms, cheese mixed with cotton, boiled potatoes or fresh corn; artificial baits are not usually successful. Again, Isaac Walton has some advice: ‘…if you fish for a Carp, you must put on a very large measure of patience’.

Encyclopedia of Australian Fishing (1979), Bay Books, 157-167 Bayswater Road, Rushcutters Bay, NSW, Volume I, part 15, p.590

28232870_10156303349765362_212025514_n (1).jpg
    The first carp was the best

28170974_10156303339430362_1663338308_o (2).jpg
    A haul of 55 all up