1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Home Valley Station and the mighty Pentecost

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Wunderlust, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    For the last four months the family and I have been based at Home Valley Station on the GRR. Somehow I scored the most enviable job on the Gibb - it was a hard decision to accept but someone had to fill the role as fishing guide on the station.

As part of the role, the days generally meant going out at 6am to gather live bait (mullies and herring) with landbased fishing tours starting at 8am and another at 1pm.
    What I have learnt about Barra.
    1. They are unpredicatable when on the bite.. good tide can produce badly and bad tides we could clean up. There was no difference between morning or afternoon sessions on the success rates. Moons had no affect. The times I went fishing on sunrise or sunset /dark were best.
    2. Small baits catch big fish and big baits can catch small fish.
    3. Hooking a Barra does not mean you’ll land a Barra!
    4. Woman and kids do much better with hooking and landing the fish. Blokes who know what they are doing seem to have less success. The biggest fish was caught by a five year old (1.13m), next three largest fish caught by the ladies.
    5. Fishing is thirsty work.
    6. When live baits don’t work, lures can be deadly - anything with gold and green did well. Sometimes deep divers and sometimes on the surface. gold bombers and Reidies rattlesnakes were my favourites.
    7. At night on lures, retrieving h elite wasn’t required. It just left on the surface they would get smashed.

Anyway I’ve attached some pix of Sam and myself with some of the fish we have caught over the last few months. Sam’s PB 83cm, mine was 93cm (both on Gold Bombers)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Very impressive! I would guess the things you learnt would be applicable to many types of fishing.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Welcome home, Great report and photos, keep them coming.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Top stuff, Tim. The Gold Bomber is my 'go to' lure on barra and rarely fails.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    A tough job , but someone has to do it. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Some nice fish there:cool:

kev209 and diesel like this.