1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

I finally went fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, May 10, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    A short report as there wasn't much to write about fishing.
    Went out yesterday. Bad start. Just left the ramp and decided my phone wasn't in my pocket. Fear is a terrible thing. To be out there alone without it means a hell of a dressing down at home; so, dutifully I turned back to get it from the Jeep.
    Like many others; there's a steepish hill behind the ramp and I walked up to recheck in the Jeep. Needing a bit of a spell halfway up; I also ended up sitting on the boat trailer for ten minutes until I could breathe at least a little more normally.
    With no idea of the phone's whereabouts it looked like a short fishing trip.

This is supposed to come across as a bit of a comedy; not a list of problems. Two guys launching saw me searching the boat and asked if they could help. When told; one offered his phone to ring the Boss; which I did.
    The phone was on the charger all night and was last seen on the dining table. It wasn't there either she told me.
    With the air a bit more cleared now, she said she would be at the ramp at 3.30 in case I needed a hand with the boat.

I fished for a couple of hours and had not touched a fish. Panic was setting in; so I headed for an old favourite place way up the back of the system. It's a long skinny arm and using the electric; fished the whole damn arm and still never touched a fish. Almost at the end; only twenty or so metres from the end of the water I suddenly hit a few fish. Small; they were still better than I'd had to date.

With the sanger lunch finished and a coffee in hand; there was nowhere else I'd want to be. It was complete solitude apart from some young black angus heifers
    enjoying the shade, the almost belly-deep green grass, while watching from under the casuarinas. I was four or five kilometres from the ramp and in glorious sunshine. This was a true example of living in heaven as we often describe this little village.​

Something rare happened. I came in early. Still having some difficulty breathing after walking the hill; I pulled the pin around 2.30. I now had several fish; enough to say it was a fairly good day even though I never touched a big fish and had released all I had. Seven minutes later I was yarning with some guys fishing near the ramp and not happily contemplating the climb up that long hill to the Jeep once more. Boss arrived; also early.

She used her phone to ring mine. No sound in the Jeep. Try the boat: We heard it dialling. The bloody thing had been put in one of my bags of plastics by some unknown character; and it was in the boat all the time. I can only speculate on which of the numerous Tuross gnomes and gremlins might have put it there, but it's hard to be conclusive without solid evidence.

Apart from spending a day struggling with the old breathing bits; it was beautiful out there. But sadly for you guys; there were no great fish to fill the pages. But who cares sometimes? Life is to enjoy. Noel.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Great to see that you were able to get out for a fish Mate. A bad day fishing beats any day at work. May be your last chance for a few days if this cold snap comes up from the south.

Chook

creekboy, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You better believe it. Forecast Saturday is 7.2m waves off shore down here with almost gale force winds. Our overnight is going down to an unpleasant 7 degrees tonight. We're not used to that. Noel.

Hen and Chook, creekboy and diesel like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Well done , Noel. At least you got out and found a bit of action, even if of a dubious size. I am sitting at the computer listening to the hail on the roof, and wont be leaving the comfort of home for a few days. Cheers, creekboy (Lyall).

diesel and Old fisho like this.
  5. Blanckie

Blanckie New Member

May 8, 2018
    good on you mate - my latest episode was heading off to Inverlock for a bit of surf spinning - wind was a bitch as well as, so it seems, my ability to read tide times. Consequently didn't wet a line at all spots visited (including Phillip Island where the sand nearly stripped the flesh off my face). Checked the mail box yesterday and received a $198 fine for doing 65 in a 60 zone. Not a happy chappie!!!

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Blankie. Welcome aboard one of the; in some ways; smaller internet forums, where guys 'know' one other, even though few have ever met. Great bunch of fellars.

$198!!!!! Oh buggar!! as Toyota and wives would say. As if fishing didn't cost enough without it. I was trying get a laugh at my experience. Nothing funny in your end result. Again--WELCOME TO TBX. Hope to hear lots from you. Noel.

And the weather is coming in here too Lyall. Checked this morning and expecting seas off shore to pass 7m tonight and tomorrow. Not many boats going out here for sure.

creekboy likes this.
  7. Blanckie

Blanckie New Member

May 8, 2018

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    If there was a message Blankie it never arrived. Noel

creekboy likes this.
  9. Blanckie

Blanckie New Member

May 8, 2018
    Thanks for the welcome aboard - greatly appreciated. Still stumbling about but hopefully wont be long and I will be up to speed with the system.

Cheers

Rod Bender, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  10. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Welcome to TBX, Blankie. Enjoy. Cheers,creekboy.

diesel and Old fisho like this.
  11. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Good work Noel getting out mate hope the breathing gets a bit better- must be the change in the weather a lot of folks up my way are all fluey and choked up so its definitely going around.

Next time you will get amongst a few bigger ones- the Taylor should be on the move down your way and the flatties will be moving to shallower water water, along with spawning Bream you will hopefully get onto a few before the winter shuts down everything.

Tight lines late

Anthony
    :D

diesel, Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Anthony. Unfortunately the breathing problem isn't seasonal. It's part of the cardiac issue and will never go away. In ten days I go back back into surgery for another day or two in Canberra Hospital. Third time in five weeks. Still not a cure; they just hope to get better control over it. Meantime; to hell with it. Have told Boss I will fish when I get a chance in spite of it all and she has no great problem with that. There's little else I can do physically without exacerbation the breathing bit. A little effort for two minutes and I'm gasping and having fairly serious chest pains. There's no fun in this getting old stuff.

We had a large school of decent salmon just off the beach last weekend. Two days later two boats came in and netted the lot.

The general attitude here is that you cannot catch flatties in winter. Three years ago we had the most magical mid-winter fishing imaginable. One afternoon I put back over 25 flatties that were all above 50cm. How good is that? Through winter; though they do shut down a bit; the fish are still there. They also still have to eat, but of course with reduced activity; feeding is more sporadic and unpredictable. Our winter is a bit more mild than more inland places so we can still get out. There's also much less wind during winter. Noel.

diesel, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  13. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Good to see you still have your since of humour mate, and you still got out. RE the phone issue, we must be twins.
    Cheers Pete

diesel, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  14. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    anyone fancy a spot of reef fishing this weekend? waves are only about 7 meters and 60 kph winds. Hi blankie and welcome, ok how did u get blankie as a nickname hopefully not from blanking out on fish while fishing rod builder perhaps?
    Somedays catching a good fish is a bonus just damm nice to be out there glad u got out for a fish noel before the s--t wheather hit. I took a pic of my version of a midge pupa but was too big/too many pixels to load and send will try phone camera, not good examples all the good ones are stuck in a fishes mouth or on Australia. gave me a couple of ideas on how to make them look better after zooming in on the pics. I also noticed I was nearly out my favourite black bead head ones tied on black magic grub/buzzer hooks size 16, hold fish very well, so tied up more, the trout love them. Hopefully u got reply to pics u sent I accidently clicked quote then reply. hard to take a decent pic of flies any tips from u camera experts out there?
    Bloody phones. Sometimes its good to be out of phone range, actually its always good means I'm out doing something.
    U live in a temperate climate at that latitude noel my parents lived at Merimbula for a fair while I never seen it get real hot or cold there can get hot and humid where I am just north of Sydney.
    cheers blair

diesel, creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair; if you can find 'paint' in the list of inbuilt PC programmes; open it. Under 'file' is the word 'open'. This give you a box where you can search the PC or wherever for the image wanted. Open it and it will be on the screen.
    On the top task bar should be an icon called 'resize'. Click that. It will give you a box that shows percentage and pixel options. I use percentage size. To start with; put in say 75 and click it. If still too big reduce it further until you understand what is needed. Later you can go closer to what you want first try.
    Under 'file ' again, click 'save as'. Change the name to whatever is wanted and save it where you want. If you change the name you will still have the original in its original form as well as the new one.

I had to reduce the second image of flies in this way to send to you. Noel.

Madfisher, diesel and creekboy like this.
  16. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    very tech savy noel, lets c if this works.
    blair

Attached Files:

Madfisher, diesel and creekboy like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Got the attachment but just a black page.

creekboy likes this.
  18. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    weirdo computers gone black on mine as well. I took screenshot c if that works. screenshot midgepupa 53%.png

diesel and creekboy like this.
  19. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    eyes 60lb flourocarbon melted whith lighter before or after tying on look like real midge eyes, tied on whith 6lb now 4lb fluorocarbon to resemble real clearish midge head, thread colour to match hatch black good most places maybe red at lake eucenbene, fine brass wire wrapped over body, cant remember name of tail material might try white deer hair later.
    smallest tungsten bead head available, size 16 black magic grub/buzzer hook. I usually just drift them around under a strike indicator when theres a breeze, bead head on tip and one or 2 further up, usually take tip fly, or just slow retrieve work well all year round but especially when they are obviously on the midges hatching or swimming about getting ready to hatch.
    tight lines

Old fisho, diesel and creekboy like this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    They will work if heavy enough. We tended to use lead wire; not copper. Gives you more weight without increasing bulk of body. Tail material looks synthetic but not certain.
    We would sometimes use calf tail hair but more often; centre tail feathers from a ringneck pheasant. Deer hair; being hollow, floats and defeats the purpose when trying to get deep quickly.
    fly. When fish get into the fast water and rapids; which they do; we sometimes had to lean hard on a fish and bigger hooks meant bigger grips. But I only know what I did. Others might see it differently. In NZ we always ran the flies the other way. We used the dropper fly on a 250-300mm leader tied to the bend of the bomb and certainly used indicators. As it was then and it may have changed; indicators could only be made from natural material like wool. Synthetic was illegal.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    creekboy likes this.