1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Kayak fishing lake Eucumbene

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Deanro, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Deanro

Deanro New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Hi all, I used to be part of this forum before it shut down and have been reading the forum for the past couple of weeks (since finding out it was back up!). I thought I'd sign up and give it another go .

I am planning on going camping up at lake eucumbene this weekend and thinking of bringing the kayak. I was wondering if anyone has kayaked there and if the conditions are ok to kayak there?

Thanks.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome back to the forum, Deanro. I cannot recall your username from the old TBX days, but I can't recall what I had for lunch yesterday - CRAFT disease.

I sold my kayak not so long back and in the few years that I enjoyed yak fishing, I adopted the practice of never leaving it at home if I was to venture near water. I can't offer any info of kayaking conditions on Eucumbene, but I'm sure somebody will answer your query. Noel, (Old Fisho) recently fished there and is pretty switched on to most things fishing and boating, so he may be the man with the info you seek.

Jeff

Deanro, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Welcome home Deanro.

Deanro and creekboy like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, creekboy.

Deanro and kev209 like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    x3 Cheers Pete. Just be aware Euc is huge and can devolp very high waves very quicky. If u use it keep to sheltered water.
    Cheers Pete

6. Deanro

Deanro New Member

Mar 20, 2018

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Deanro

Deanro New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I think old user name was deee possibly. It was a long time ago haha. Thanks for the advice and welcome. I will chuck it on the car and see what happens!

8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Good luck mate, and wear a quality life jacket, compulsory now in all alpine waters.
    Cheers Pete

9. Matt.I

Matt.I New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi guys. I'm new to tacklebox. Loved some of the jokes you guys have posted. Speaking of yaks. I have been interested in buying one for a while now. Looking at a hobie. Has anyone here got one and can they tell me if they are worth the outrageous amount of $$$ you have to spend on one.

10. Deanro

Deanro New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Hey Matt, My set up is pretty basic. I got it from anaconda during a sale and they threw in the life jacket on top. I think I ended up paying about $450 and have ordered extras online like a seat and that supports the back a bit more and wheels so I don't have to lug it too far. I really enjoy using mine. I love in Canberra so I'll often head down the lake and have a paddle and catch some reddies at the same time .

11. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    WElcome to the forum Matt, hope to hear more from you.
    Cheers Pete

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    X2

diesel and creekboy like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome, Matt. In answer to your question re Hobie kayaks being worth the money, short answer is yes. I don't own one and probably never will, but I have fished alongside others in Hobies and the mirage drive propulsion system is definitely the best way to move and fish at the same time.

There are other brands with pedal type propulsion and from what I have seen, they are good, but I think Hobie are the pick of them. Just be warned, once you start rigging out a kayak for fishing, it's hard to stop adding bits and pieces and yak accessories are not cheap, especially when they carry the Hobie name. I think if I was looking to buy a Hobie, I would probably hunt around for a good second hand unit already rigged, could save a lot of money.

Jeff

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  14. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It's really good to have this trickle of old members returning, and I join others in welcoming you back. But I do have a propensity for saying what I believe, and without fear or favour. At the same time I hope others will support me when I say I will not ntry to upset or hurt another member. We get along too well here to do that.

I don't have a kayak, and never will. If I did, Eucumbene would be the last place I'd use it. I have fished Eucumbene for over forty years, in all seasons. We've had an on site base there for thirty years or so. Since the advent of kayaks into the fishing world, and a very successful one at that; I have seen their numbers down here on the coast escalate. At the same time I have been vocal about the future use of them on Eucumbene. More often than I want to recall I have seen that lake go from a great friend to an evil enemy in minutes. Forget the laws about life jackets. It doesn't matter if you wear one up there. For much of the year you will not drown in Eucumbene, but hypothermia will kill you quickly. The time can be as short as seven minutes. But of course a life jacket does make it easier to find the body. I'm sure you won't like what I say, but I speak with a fair bit of experience in boats up there from 14' to 20' in length.

Please accept this with the honesty it is written. Noel.

Madfisher, creekboy, Deanro and 2 others like this.
  15. Deanro

Deanro New Member

Mar 20, 2018

Thanks Noel,

I appreciate the advice, I didn't end up bringing the kayak up anyway. I've been up there a fair bit and have only ever seen the odd kayak up there over summer so thought it best to all for advice on it. I appreciate your honesty

16. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thinking about it you are right Noel, on the southern end of the lake I would not go out in anything less then a 14 footer, and even then it could be strectched to the max if bad weather blows up suddenly.
    cheers pete

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. Charles1960

Charles1960 New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    A bit of a late reply but kayaking likes lot of things as dangerous as you make it, I have dry pants and dry top that fit together to keep the water out, the alternative is a lot of cold showers to acclimatise a bit. The easter fishing was pretty hot, fished Geehi and Jindabyne the weekend and did OK, just choose a protected bay to fish in.

Rod Bender, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  18. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    A tad late in response, but have been a bit indisposed lately. Interpreting what you say; it sums it up rather well. In short; there's no substitute for common sense and being prepared. Eucumbene is an enigma. It's a contradiction in itself. Peaceful and beautiful one minute; then wild and wind torn the next. Common sense is the best recipe for a long fishing life there. As Pete suggests is possible; we 've had a 14'6" tinnie tested to its (and our) limits on Eucumbene twice. Once was in the middle of the night. It's not a hell of a lot of fun. Good luck.

Madfisher, kev209 and AJ Fishman like this.