1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lunch Break Lizard

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by reelaxation, Nov 15, 2017.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    So I took a new outlook recently and decided to keep a couple of combo's in the car for "those" times when work is slow or I have a good break in between jobs... Today I had one of those days and lucky for me I got in 2 sessions in the same location at different times of the day.
    As it turns out I was an hour early for one of my appoinments so I decided to go for an explore and I found this little creek which runs in between The Entrance and Budgewoi lakes- it looked real fishy and Ive been eyeing this spot on and off for a few weeks- so today I pulled up under a big tree and decided to throw out some squidgy wrigglers in black gold colour for 30mins or so... plenty of follows from bream but no real takes. I walked around and under the Budgie bridge and pulled up there and was watching this old chap braining good size Bream under the wharf on Cranka Crabs- he told me from across the way the bream were hot there all the time and if I ever wanted some fun to hit there.
    With that in mind I went to my job as needed pretty happy with some intel on the local area and reckon there is a good chance I would get back there in the next day or 2- hopefully with some small grub lures and soft vibes and a Cranka I plan on buying tomorrow.
    Anyway, after my job I had another job- which I blew over in record time so I had more time to kill, and my last customer of the day was just around the corner from the same spot I fished earlier.
    Instead of going across the creek I decided to change lures and downsized to a 50mm squidgy fish in silver fox colour on a 1/32 size 2 jig head I reckon I was in with a chance of a flattie- 3rd cast BANG! I was onto a sizeable lizard... The first run went almost to the other side of the creek and the second went left of me, so after a good 5mins on 6lb braid and 12lb mono leader I had a still very green coc at my feet... my problem was no net, nowhere to pull her up on the steep bank- so I would the mono round my hand and dragged her half way up the bank onto a rock, whereby she flipped bck into the water and took off again LOL, another few minuts I had her (I thought I had her subdued) and as I went to lift her back up the bank I head a SNAP and she went back into the drink, in just a big enough hole in between the oyster covered rocks I couldnt reach her.
    I tried to get her by the lip and she threw herself about wildly and I lost the last grip to see her slip back in between the rocks and out of sight in the weed. I watched and I watched, but she didnt move.
    Then I had a brain wave- why note dangle the plastic in front of her face and hook her again- but then I saw the problem- she had completely straightened my hook and that was what the loud CRACK was I heard- she literally snapped the hook back with her throat and dislodged the hook.
    I slowly looked back- with a mighty grin to see the old girl swim slowly off into the murky depths.

Damn I wish I hd have taken a piccie- Im guestimating easy 70cm+ and a head bigger than mine roflroflrofl.

On that note I left and went to my last job of the day- and told him what happened... I will remember that as my first ever flattie from a whole new system and I was super stoked, and yes I will go back to that same spot- probably tomorrow after my lunch meeting just up the road :p

Tight lines everyone

Anthony
    :D

Hen and Chook, AWL, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Good to see you utilising your spare time!
    Sounds like you may have not had much of a chance to take a pic! Even if you didn't catch anything, it is still worth taking a pic of the scenery and posting it here. Those of us who fish drab channels and rivers certainly don't mind admiring scenery that others can view!
    cheers
    Jim

AWL, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Sounds like you have a good job, better luck next time. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  4. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Agree and I often ponder taking the odd snap for you guys so next time I will try to make a bigger effort for some scenery shots.

Hopefully I can get back there either this arvo or sometime early next week tomorrow is all booked up and the wind ATM is blowing NE so the fishing isn't crash hot in the morning... I did stop by there an hour ago and did some feathering casts but no takers. There is always next time.

AWL, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Nice way to spend a break between job's:cool:
    Scenery pic's are as good as fish pic's for me.Most times, like today, i have to use google map to find out where you salt guys are fishing.That looks like a great region to be fishing in reelax.
    Rivers,creeks & gum trees all look the same down here in northern mexico after awhile:(

kev209, reelaxation and Rod Bender like this.
  6. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Thanks AWL, yeah its a nice cruisy place to drop a line in, a bit weedy because its a feeder creek between both lakes but get past that it seems to be fairly healthy. The overhanging trees provide both shade and cover aswell as the bridge and there is a nice new pontoon alongside a wharf which doesnt permit mooring up so its only a pickup and dropoff point which is good for the fisho's . It doesnt seem to get much people or boat traffic but I guess like everywhere weekends are probably a different story.

It was definitely a surprise to catch a croc there- I didnt expect too much when I first looked at it I think the tides play a big difference along with the wind along that stretch of the creek. I reckon after sunset that place would be awesome for monster flatties and there is a good supply of poddies around there so catch some in a trap and throw a livie out would def be worth trying sometime...

I will persist in this area and I have a couple of other spots I am keen to try that are more open to the lake edge and much deeper, google earth will be my best mate over the next week or so as I am keen to find other feeder creeks I can search out and try similar techniques.

Will get up a report and some piccies next time I am up there for a flick.

Cheers
    Anthony
    :D

Rod Bender likes this.