1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lure Fishing.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Robert Stone, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Active Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I have just started lure fishing. Listen to the advice of members. Just want to know the following. I have bought Gulp lures and some other soft plastics. I bought Sax, Procure and I bought a bottle of Gulp live recharge. Can I use the Gulp live recharge on other plastic/soft lures ? The instructions say on Gulp only. I don't want to destroy the other plastic/soft lures.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Robert, you will find that there are some compatibility issues with the mixing of soft plastics, but I'm not sure with Gulp recharge. The main culprit I have found so far is ZMan sp's - an excellent lure, but they go into full meltdown mode if mixed with most of the other brands. Probably the only way to find out which sp's are not adversely affected by the Gulp recharge is to sacrifice one or part of one in the interest of modern science. :rolleyes:

Jeff

3. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I have various brands of soft lures but I haven't mixed them together I have kept them in separate zip bags. The gulp recharge says gulp only, so I won't take the risk. Thanks for your advice Jeff.

Robert.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I was going to suggest the same as what diesel said.
    You can get one or two different plastics, expose them to a small amount of Gulp recharge on their own...not with the rest of the gulp plastics. That way if it doesn't work, then you only lose a couple plastics and a small amount of liquid. If it does work then you can still be cautious and just do it in small amounts.

I would hazard a guess that the Gulp recharge says gulp only so then you buy more Gulp plastics!

I also have a few questions for you. The Gulp recharge, is that something you put in a jar with the plastics soaking or is it something you smear on the plastic when fishing? Also, you mentioned Sax and Procure. I'm guessing they are scents that you apply to the plastic when fishing?

What fish are you chasing anyway? Thanks in advance.
    Jim

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I am all new to this Lure fishing and I listen to what the various members are advising me. A bit of trial and error.
    The Gulp alive is a refill recharge for Gulp products only. However the the instructions say not recommended for plastic bait. As I understand it I use a Gulp lure and then put into a separate zip bag and use the Gulp alive to recharge the lure for next time. The Sax scent and the Procure you put on the lures. This was advised by Jeff and another member. You can read all about Gulp Alive on the BCF Website. You can buy Sax Scent from the supplier direct on their website. Procure from BCF although everybody is telling me Sax is better and cheaper and I found that out.
    What fish am I chasing. I live on the Central Coast NSW and move around a bit, so there is a variety of fish I can catch, mainly Bream and Flathead.

Robert.

6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Welcome to TBX Robert

creekboy likes this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Jim, just to add to Robert's comments, I use Sax Scent Wasabi when fishing freshwater and I smear a bit on not only soft plastics, but also hard bodies. When I was chasing reddies a couple of years ago at Lake Wallace (Wang Dam) near Lithgow, the scent definitely attracted the fish. I experimented with other scents in the Sax range, but the Wasabi was the only one that seemed to work. I also fished the same spot with no scent at all and got bugger all, whack on a bit of scent and they came on the chew.

Jeff

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Jeff,
    Now you tell me I bought the Sax Prawn and the Bloodworm. I suppose I have to experiment. Thanks Kev.

Cheers

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The prawn, bloodworm and crab are the best for the salt, Robert. The wasabi was the best in the fresh though.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks Jeff.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  11. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm Glad you like The Sax scent Robert, I don't recommend anything unless I use it and it works. I use it on all soft plastics regardless of whether the are scent impregnated or not, On metal blades, soft vibes, and all hard body lures including surface . Put Bluntly , It Works! Wasabi was designed for fresh water. I haven't used it in salt, it is anaseed based. May work?? The only one I haven't used is Abalone. Howard.

12. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks Howard for all your advice and help.

13. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm mostly a Squidgy bloke. I too use their sticky goo and believe there's been days when it changed a poor one into a better day. But, regardless of our opinions about smell, there's never been, nor will there be, a substitute for lure action. That is still the ultimate way to catch fish. That's my belief; not a theory.

kev209 and creekboy like this.