1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Mud Flat Flathead.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by Bluefin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Just spent 2 mornings chasing Flathead in 50 c/m of water. Most are around 34 c/m But there are a few bigger models for a feed. Lost one in the net, started thrashing about and I couldn't hold it one handed , dropped the net in the water and lost the fish. Would have been over 90 c/m! Unreal fun though on 4 lb braid and leader, 12 lb " Bite " trace of about 20 c/m to lure. Clear shallow water means I can watch everything. Im going back Tomorrow !!!!!!!! Howard.

2. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    How things change. Wind from the opposite direction, No flathead on the flat. Picked up a few tiny ones, and one 40c/m keeper. Lunch !

3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Keep trying, Bluefin, they will return. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Howard, this is the ultimate in chasing flatties. We also use 4lb braid, but our leaders are dramatically different. I use leaders of 6lb mono (must be flouro carbon), but they start at around 2.5-3m. Braid is easily seen in water and longer leaders certainly changed our fishing catch rate. It also means I can cut off chewed and scraped bits and still have plenty of length to work with. And yes, as Lyall says; they will return. They don't spend all their time in the shallows; just enough to tease hell out of us fishos. But what a great way to fish. Next comes sight fishing.

Wishing you all the success in the world. The fisherman's first job is to eliminate luck.

Were you fishing plastics and what sort if you were? Old fisho.

Madfisher, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ok see how we go. Ecogear Blade 30 m/m in green. Viblicious 70 m/m 10 gram. Zman 4 " streak z curly tail motor oil. z man curly tail 2" and 2 1/2 " motoroil Atomic Plazos Prong Avacardo. I also like Dragon Maggot2.5 " curly tail. And yet to try, the Z man turbo claw. !! All these consistently catch fish for me. The Viblicious and the 4"streak curly tail also account for a lot of jew! NONE OF THESE LURES ENTER THE WATER WITHOUT A DOLLOP OF SAX SCENT. Crab usually. Smell is important !!!!! And Taste. they hold on longer giving me longer to strike !!!! I use several outfits ranging from 1 to 3 . 2 to 4 . 2 to 5 and a brilliant 2 to 6 kg Daiwa Wicked Weasel. The 1 to 3 is my go to fun stick. I too use 1 1/2 rod lengths of fluro, but unless targeting Bream, which is rare, I tie around 25 c/m of 12 lb fluro on the end of say the 4 lb fluro leader as a Bite leader for Jew and Flathead.neither seem to be leader shy. Howard. Ps: I went back on the rising tide last week and caught some more, largest mid 50's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    OK, got that. I didn't, from the first post, understand that you're using a secondary leader. Agree too that bream don't like the heavier leader add on. I have some maggots, bought recently and not tried yet, on advice from a fisho mate. Mostly I'm a Squidgy fan, and all our biggest have been on 65mm lures, rather than bigger ones. Can't explain that, and speak of 107, 95, 94, 92, 92 fish, and lots of 80s, using 2, 2.5, and 3gr jig heads. At times I use up to 5gr heads as I like to go down quickly, when not fishing the shallow flats. One of my warm weather favourites is their 'critter'; a gangly looking thing that does well from now on as the prawns are growing. I still believe though that just about every plastic will catch fish if you use it right. There's a lot of technique involved if people are serious about them. Sometimes if fish are slow, I throw a blade too. Usually 30mm in gold green or purple too has been good. Sometimes I thing the noise wakes them up a bit. Noel

creekboy, Bluefin and kev209 like this.
  7. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Burkley Nymph, Power Hawg, squidge critter, oldies but still in my tackle box. Still have there place. Samaki spider prawn seems a bit flimsy ? Haven't used it much. Z man soft plastics float. So summer may see me using them as surface lures. Crusteaz Z Man is an interesting design, have thrown it rigged weedless floating in amongst timber a bit , no takes but a bit early yet. Howard. so many options, so little time

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    thanks. I also use Squidgy sticky goo as I believe it has often changed a dull day into a better one. Noel

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Where do you fish?

creekboy likes this.
  10. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Port Macquarie, mainly the Hastings River.

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It's common now to see people trolling hard bodies for flatties here. I don't do it as I find trolling a bit like watching paint dry. Do you see it up your way?

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    No most bait fish or throw lures. Have a look at this site, he is our local guide. have been out with him a few times and have learnt a huge amount. www.castawayfishing.com.au well worth a look. Where are you based? Howard.

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Been at Tuross Head for about seven years. We are 40km south of Batemans Bay and 30 north of Narooma. Six km off the highway; less than 2000 people. There's two lakes; Tuross Lake, estuary on the Tuross River which is tidal, has a shoreline of about 200km, but little access other than by boat. Lots of mangroves, a fair bit of muddy shore, and few roads or tracks. Mostly difficult to fish without a boat. It's one of the best flathead lakes on the coast. Then across the road almost is Coila lake which only opens to the sea occasionally, but is one of the best prawn lakes on the coast.

creekboy, Bluefin and kev209 like this.
  14. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Just down the road from Port is Lake Cathie which only opens to the sea occasionally, but is one of the best prawn lakes on the coast. Smallish prawns compared to King Prawns But the flavour is sensational. I did a lot of prawning in my youth around Lake Termeil and Meroo.

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  15. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  16. Rick3107

Rick3107 New Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Hey,
    I have caught heaps of flathead from Tuross myself, being a Canberran I often fish the south coast. Howard, where about in the lake do you do you flats fishing?

Cheers