1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

NEW UPDATE

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, May 27, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day guys and gals.
    Arrived home from Canberra yesterday to a typical Tuross autumn day. A simply beautiful clear sky; still air and warm sunshine. After Canberra's cold it was great.
    The operation last week was a bit of a mixed bag and I thank all the guys on TBX who sent messages and phone calls. It was a bit humbling I assure you.

The new defib went in OK after a fair increase in the size of the hole in which to put it. It is thinner but much larger in area than the original. The sad part was Rajeev (cardiac surgeon) saying he spent two hours trying to get an additional lead into the old ticker. Some heart attacks are caused by arteries blocking for one reason or another. He tells me the artery he needed had closed up because when my heart failed originally, it ceased feeding that one and it has since collapsed. There is one option left though. That operation has been done in Europe and USA for several years and Rajeev was doing it while in the states a couple of years ago. But it is yet to be approved by our government. That doesn't mean it can't be done. It means it must be done in a suitable teaching hospital, which we have in Canberra. It also means the patient has to sign an agreement to being involved in a 'study' operation. Some would say to 'being a Guinea Pig' perhaps. But with total faith and confidence in the man, that would not bother me. Open heart surgery could work but the nature of the problem dictates that I would never survive such an operation so it is not in the list of options.

Fishing's probably off the menu for a while. I cannot lift, push or pull more than 5kg for up to a month and a half; nor can I lift the left arm above shoulder height for the same time. But I'm still alive and walking. In a few days as the reflex movement returns to the left arm I will be able to again drive. Things could therfore be much worse. After three operational procedures in six weeks; I've seen a few guys who are incapable of anything.

I thank you all again. Noel.

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    That news is not all good, Noel. I suppose all you can do is hang in there and stay positive.
    Cheers for now, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Lyall.

I often hear of this so-called 'positive' attitude and wonder whether I fit with those who believe in it. I think I prefer to simply carry on with life and never actually dwell on the problems therein.

If the future is not what I'd prefer and like others; I have little say in that; there is great solace in remembering all the things I've done, places I've been and more importantly, the people I've known. I feel I have more friends than enemies and there's been more successes/pleasures than failures during the time. There's also a plan in place to hit the water in a few weeks, even if I have to fish a little less seriously than before.

Better a little than none.

Noel.

Bluefin, creekboy, diesel and 3 others like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Best wishes for the future Noel, thinking of you.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    It may sound funny to some, but we are the lucky ones old Mate

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Right on Kev.

There was a time when it was difficult to understand folk saying " People who know they have a bad heart live longer than those who don't know" But they're right, N.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks to you too Pete. We've been chatting on here for a long time now. Noel.

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  8. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Great to see that you're on the road to recovery Noel. Look forward to your fishing reports when your back wetting a line.

Chook