1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Photographing fish to be released.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi peoples
    I saw this link posted on facebook last year regarding photographing your catch prior to releasing (if you are going to release the fish) the fish.
    https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational...shing-guide/photographing-fish-to-be-released
    The guideline is provided for Victorian fishos so please check your local state regs.

It clearly states that a fish that has to be returned immediately (out of season, protected species) can be photographed. Many a time I have seen keyboard warriors battle to the death on facebook over this issue! Now all one has to do is provide this link (providing the arguing is in Vic) and it is lights out for the 'you should have released it straight away' brigade! Anyway, me not on facebook anymore so I miss out on this action!

My thoughts...I don't really agree with some aspects. As far as I'm concerned, fish caught out of season should go back immediately. Another thing to consider if you are going to take a quick pic of a cod in closed season and then plaster it all over the internet to get your five minutes of fame, all you are doing is letting people know that the cod are active which may then trigger the lowlifes to go out and target them. Give them no incentive I reckon.
    cheers
    Team Bender

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    What is the reasoning behind the Target One Million campaign in Vic, Jim? Is it just a boost in revenue raising by your state government from fishing licences or an attempt to get more people off their collective butts and out there doing something? I would have thought that there were far too many already flogging the waterways without a promotional program to entice more.

I can see the benefit in economic growth for sleepy little towns when there is an influx of cashed up fishos moving around the state, but surely the increase in numbers of those flogging the waterways will put downward pressure on fish stocks. There are places up here in Qld that have been actively promoted as a fishing paradise to encourage an increase in tourism and at one time they may have been the 'mecca' for keen fishos, but no longer. Karumba in the Gulf is a classic example - flogged to death.

Getting back on topic, I agree with the points you made and I think social media and the technology of smartphones and digital photography have changed things in a big way. I've never been big on photographing my catch, I used to have the belief that if I took a camera with me to record the catch, then the fishing gods would not be kind. I don't need a photo to remind me of that 'special fish', it is indelibly printed on what little grey matter that I have in the cranial void between my ears, in fact, I can sit back with eyes shut and enjoy a full length video - totally dependant on the correct amount of Bundy Rum consumed o_O.

Jeff:cool:

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Jeff, the main aim is to get people, especially the younger generation off their butts and into the outdoors. They also want to boost the economy of towns (as you mentioned). Revenue raising...I doubt it but on saying that, the price of a RFL did rise. Some fishos here whinged and sooked yet it was the same ones who rejoiced when netting was banned in Port Phillip Bay. I think it was in PPB, I didn't follow the saga to be honest. So when the commercial fishos had their licenses paid out...it was us who had to pay for some or all of it.

There were many valid points mentioned by fishos when the T1M program was first outlined. Issues such as an inadequate amount of boat ramps (and some poorly maintained), overcrowded jetties (they are now), inability to enforce regulations and as you mentioned the effect on fish stocks. In regards to the possible depletion of fish stocks, I know the amount of stocking in freshwater is phenomenal! There has even been trial stocking in marine waters! Money raised from licenses is being returned to improve fishing.

In regards to the social media aspect, I should have mentioned that I have been guilty as well! Always happy to put up a pic of a small fish, any fish really or if I caught nothing, a pic of the sunset. I was a bit naive and should have realised that I was only giving spots away. Now I am a lot more careful but on saying that I deleted my facebook account around 6 weeks ago.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Enjoy your video!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    As for photographing fish caught I take pics of most of the fish I catch, even protected species, but I also make all effort to release these fish as quickly and safely as I can. As some of you know I release all my catches and have very rarely kept a fish. Even carp get released although a little worse for wear when I'm finished with them, ;) cheers davo

5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Some good sense amongst the above. Good post Bender.
    I keep images of some special fish, but do it differently. If the fish is to be released, I sometimes, don't even take the fish from the water. I use my video fishing glasses during the catch, and they provide all the pics I want at 30 frames per second. With a polarised lens they pick up fish still well down in clear water, and the audio quality is excellent. While taking a look around during the catch, it's improved by including the local scenery too. If I want a specific snapshot later; I can take a screen shot from the paused video for the file. These are not as good as from my main camera, but they are acceptable. I have also taken pics with the Canon, but try to do it as quickly as possible. I do not use F/book at all, hate it, and have never posted pics anywhere other than this site, and don't mind telling you guys what and where.

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.