1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Pirtek Fishing Challenge 2018.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    The Pirtek Fishing Challenge is fast approaching! Sunday 18th March is the date. For those who are not aware, it is a nation wide fishing comp which is run over one day. It is a great day and money raised goes to the Prostate Cancer Foundation as well as the Peter Duncan Neuroscience Research Unit of St Vincent's Hospital.

Check out the link and have a think about entering. It is a great day and I usually end up fishing it with mates.
    https://pirtekfishingchallenge.com.au/
    cheers
    Jim

Old fisho, diesel, DeeBeeKay and 4 others like this.
  2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Already entered, cheers davo

Old fisho, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    It is official...I have entered! Now the wait begins until the target species are announced on the 25th Feb. For those that are not familiar with the comp, you should have a look into it. The link is on my first post.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Glory awaits!

Old fisho, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I've entered as well, Glory may have to wait Jim.

Team Kevy

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    One week to go! I have started preparation today! Am chasing yabbies in between work sessions. So far I have only one customer!:confused: I will likely be fishing the Nine Mile Creek near Wunghnu. I have some frozen home grown corn in the fridge but I will be hoping to get shrimp and more yabbies on the day. Previous times there I assumed I would get plenty of bait on the day...and failed so I do not want to make the same mistake this time.

I may try and get there for a 'pre-fish' session but I may struggle. The event has come around quickly and I will say it is the most enjoyable day's fishing I have every year...to the point where it motivates me to go rather than being slack like I have been.

Depending on work I may also do a day trip to the Murray this week. Busy times!!!
    cheers
    Jim

diesel, Old fisho, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.
  6. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Active Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I have entered. Good luck everybody.

Cheers.

7. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Rob, best of luck to you as well

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    After 3 days of intense yabbying, I am now the proud owner of 3 yabbies!:cool: The drain here at work did not produce although I did let a few larger models go. The forecast at this time for Sunday is mid thirties...I am not looking forward to the heat.
    cheers
    Jim

9. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Bring it on.

diesel, Old fisho, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The high temps forecast for tomorrow are gone but it is going to be very windy! My angler number has arrived so bring it on! The target for me will be carp. Good luck to everyone who entered!
    cheers
    Jim

diesel, Old fisho, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.
  11. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Surf is up. Have to find somewhere else. Good luck.

12. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Well the Pertek has come and gone. I would love to do it again next year God willing.
    One BIG Donut for me, but who cares, Lyn and I had a great relaxing time. We got to Nagambie around 2 pm on Saturday arvo went to straight the Leisure Park, and unloaded the car which didn't take long as we travelled light for a change. So time to have a fish I grabbed a rod, Lyn grabbed my chair, bait and a small container of hooks etc. and we headed to the river which was about 30 meters from our cabin. I set things up, secured my rod, not going for another swim, now time to relax. Had a couple of hits on worms and that was that I went to sleep for well over an hour. Lyn nodded off on the couch in the cabin a great pair fisho's aren't we. That was Saturday, then on Sunday for the comp it blew like hell. Our son and his partner joined us about 8-30 am. It windy but tolerable, we had a few nibbles on worms and a couple of good hits on Kabana. Then it hit, things were flying everywhere so that put an end to the fishing. We grabbed everything and retreated to the cabin.

13. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Two Bream you wouldn't take home to Mother. Headed for the Esky.

diesel, Old fisho, Rod Bender and 3 others like this.
  14. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yep the wind blew our chances, cheers davo

diesel, Old fisho, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Well...that was fun! I arrived at Wunghnu pre-dawn and drove around to check out some other holes with no idea where I was going in the dark and ended up back at the spot I planned to fish. I got the shrimp net in and then settled in my chair for a drink before I put a rod in. It was still dark and no pics can be taken of fish in the dark so I thought I may as well wait for daylight. The first thing I noticed was the creek was not as high as it could be.
    creek 30.jpg
    Unfortunately I was expecting this drop as irrigation requirements would subside after the previous days heat. So...did I mention it was windy! Soon after I got my rods in I was joined by Murph. My choice of bait was a yabbie on one rod and colored corn (black kernels and normal yellow) on the other rod. Apart from the odd bite things were rather slow. Murph picked up 2 carp to my zero! Murph had to leave around 1030 but he suggested we try a nearby lake in the afternoon. Soon after he left there was some seismic activity when I fell over! That hurt!:eek: As I sat on my ar5e on the dirt I pondered calling it quits...fishless, sore and increasing wind speeds making it dangerous to remain. If it wasn't for Murph's suggestion to move and his enthusiasm, I may have quit. So soon after we arrived here.
    lake.JPG
    We found a safe location away from trees and in went the rods. Murph hasn't fished this location much but he did tell me he has heard stories of 'metre carp' coming out of here occasionally.

I had the same bait as previous and Greg was using shrimp and yabbie tails. He was getting bites and started getting the odd carp whilst I had no luck. Finally I picked up a carp around 40 cm's so that was an entry and I was happy. My yabbie was not getting much attention. Greg suggested I change to a yabbie tail as he was getting bites but I didn't change for two reasons. One of which is I have faith in whole yabbies for carp and another reason being I just couldn't bother!:)

After a while the lifeless yabbie rod buckled over with the yabbie being inhaled by a carp just over 50 cm's. The fish hooked itself on the circle hook and I have found the style of hook baited with yabbies works well on the suckers! But wait...there is more! Another period of inactivity on the yabbie baited rod was shattered when a 68 cm model came along and also inhaled the yabbie without warning. This fish was netted and was my entry for the comp. It won't be long enough to win but there is still hope for the mystery length prize. I also picked up another smaller model on the corn.

At the end of the day we packed up and we both had 4 carp from the lake. Some different tactics from both of us worked well. Greg was getting bites and not hooking up so he changed things (hook size and bait for a start). He said when things are not working, you have to change what you are doing and it did work for him. On the other hand, I persevered with something that I had confidence in and it worked!

But what I would consider to be the highlight of the day happened as we were leaving. We drove close to the lake in another location and there it was! The tail of what is likely the biggest carp I have ever seen. I would think it would have gone very close to the metre mark! It was massive and will now forever be known as 'that carp' when Greg and I talk about it! Now you will have to excuse me as I am about to check satellite images on google maps as I have no doubt 'that carp' will show up as a shadow in the water!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Waiting for the notification that I am $4000 richer!

AJ Fishman, diesel, DeeBeeKay and 3 others like this.
  16. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    You did better than most of us.

17. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    X2

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  18. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Some good yarns; telling it as it was. Noel

19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks. As I did say, I probably owe my mate some of the credit as he kept me in it.

The winners are announced this Saturday but I am rather sure that they will already have been notified.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Now thinking that there is no monetary rewards coming my way!

20. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I won't be winning anything. I got a DONUT.

Old fisho, diesel and creekboy like this.