1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

show us your ride

Discussion in 'Boats' started by jewiehaven, Aug 14, 2016.

1. jewiehaven

jewiehaven reelaxation

Jun 17, 2009
    Thought I would post up some piccies of my old girl... She's a Haines Hunter V16R with a 90 Mariner 2banger donk which I have setup for light game/pelagics and inshore fishing.
    Mods include:
    * New wiring throughout
    * Dual battery setup with isolator
    * Under gunnel LED lights
    * New Stainless Bow rail
    * New Grab rails and cleats
    * New anchor well with new 20lb anchor and chain with 100m silver rope
    * New 80L ice chest converted to a seat for 2 kids

Soon to come:

* New bimini
    * Underfloor storage and kill tank
    * New cushions in back seats
    * Plumbed live well
    * Rocket Launcher

Enjoy the piccies guys

Attached Files:

2. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I do like Haynes Hunters they don't really suit my type of fishing though but there as awsome rig

creekboy and jewiehaven like this.
  3. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Very nice boat.. I almost bought a Haines Hunter but founad a nice trophy 2052 Pro which said 'Buy Me'... so I did.. Inboard and heavy but quiet and can do 35kts + on the flat.

creekboy likes this.
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    i have had 3 haines hunters in my life and by far the best lake and off shore boat you
    can get without spending 100+K .

but now all i have the money for is my humble blue fin rouge 4.2m tinny with a 40hp
    HONDA she does 55kph and is banging on the rev limiter so should be good for 57 58
    once i get around to a better prop .

just out from maiden voyage
    IMG_2793 (Medium).JPG stability is good i'm no light weight
    IMG_2795 (Medium).JPG plenty of fishing room for 2
    IMG_2805 (Medium).JPG

my son and i about half way to the 6 mile off lakes entrance
    1 1 boat 5 (Small).PNG

creekboy, Sprinter and reelaxation like this.
  5. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Nice ride TAC, I like those high sides on the Bluefin tinnies.
    Agree the Haines is an awesome boat eats the swells but can get a bit of roll going side on the swells, they definitely punch well above their size. Im yet to get her fully offshore have gone just past Sydney Heads am keen to get out a bit further to around the 12mile reef that would be about as far as my 45L tank would get me- hopefully in winter next year I can get a 100L underfloor tank added so I can get out further on a good day. Ive seen 15footers at the shelf on a really good day and I know the previous owner used to dive the shelf in it no worries so I know its very capable boat- Im just not that confident in my own abilities to get that far and not **** myself LOLOLOL... Funny coz Ive been out as far as Heatons Hill (around 60NM) in charter boats and sits in 2500Fa water chasing Bluefin and Swordfish but I maybe I underestimate my own abilities as a skipper.

6. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    it's good to know your abilities and not get over confident as this leads to big trouble
    and you get used to that roll you just worry a bit when it comes over the side , it has
    happened to me a few times but just turn in to it and give it a bit of stick and all is well.

you will get a bit of roly poly if yours is the model with the very small reverse chines the
    ones i have had have all been the 4" version so stability at speed has been good and the 16'
    is a narrow boat compared to the 445 and the v17 but that will give you a better ride going
    straight in to a sea and don't be afraid to stomp on it a bit as in a haines if you back off you
    will get a bit of a flogging , the quicker you go the better within reason .

any way enjoy the boat i would .

cheers TAC

creekboy and reelaxation like this.
  7. Slipper1

Slipper1 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    IMG_0155.PNG Hi gents.

I've also found a new vessel from when I was tackleboxing last. I've upgrades my makocraft estuary tournament tinny for a 2010 skeeter Sx170 with a 115 etec HO. I've been fishing a few comps and fishing some larger lakes and estuaries the extra speed and stability is handy. The rod locker and heaps of storage makes it a pleasure to fish from. A lowrance hds10 and a motor guide Xi5 electric motor help with finding and then staying over fish. Overall it suits my needs beautifully

Mat

creekboy, reelaxation and Tackleberry like this.
  8. neville berghofer

neville berghofer New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    all nice boats there ..here is some pics of my ol girl a 1984 Quintrex Fishabout MK11 1984 Johnson sea horse 35HP motor...checkered plate floor leds all round inside boat ect ect..sorry it will not let me post pics says file to large

creekboy likes this.
  9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    nev if you don't know how to resize them just email them to me and I will do it for you

Darren_223@Hotmail.com

cheers TAC

creekboy likes this.
  10. neville berghofer

neville berghofer New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    thanks for the offer buddy

creekboy likes this.
  11. Sophia Grace

Sophia Grace Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Nice boats... these boats looks really amazing in pictures as I do see as well as surely these boats will be too useful.

Thanks for sharing boats with us :)

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Great to see the older posts being revised

creekboy likes this.
  13. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Something to shock everyone who has a nice flash boat when I haven't. It might even make some laugh. But I believe strongly in the philosophy that I've never seen a boat catch a fish, but I know many people who have.
    About 16 years ago, I already had a 20' Savage at Eucumbene, and a 12' car topper. Then I picked up $4K, a Loomis fly rod, and several other bits, in the annual Snowy Mountains Trout Competition. The money went into a boat to fish estuaries, in particular Tuross, without a thought we'd one day live there. The hull was a 15', already 25yo Brooker, (now 40yo) that sat abandoned on a tilt trailer at Eucumbene, and was now filled with sticks and leaves. The tyres had rotted away, and everything removable had been stolen. We traced the owner and he accepted a couple of hundred bucks for it. After that it's hard to remember where it started.
    New wheels, springs and tyres to get it home I guess. Then I rebuilt the trailer rollers and fitted a new winch.
    The centre thwart was cut out, leaving a 250mm section each side. These had alum doors fitted and became storage lockers. The foam floatation from the seat went under the new flat walk around deck. A piece of African Iroku timber (looks like teak) became the new dash after many coats of marine varnish and all the controls, inc AM/FM, 27 meg, disc player, steering wheel, and most other things were installed. A Raetheon sounder, swivel seats, and new nav light followed.
    The original low transom was raised to full height, and after tracking the extrusions manufacturer, built a new walk through screen. Next came an old electric start Evinrude 35, bought as a cardboard box full of pieces to which we had to add a few seals and smaller missing parts. ($300). A Johnson 6 was added as a trolling/auxiliary motor. It had a bent con rod and wouldn't turn over, and cost about $100 as a wreck. We rebuilt it, and fitted a dual forward control unit with a dash mounted kill switch for the 6. A friend who was once an army motor mechanic, and still has a van at Eucumbene near ours, was a great asset during all this. I don't have enough skill to do it alone. The two of us rebuilt the 20' Savage in the same way.
    Being an old upholsterer, a new canopy with side curtains finished the now new looking Sandfly boat. These are rarely used as it's almost exclusively an open casting platform.
    Finally completed, it was stripped back to nothing and the hull was powder coated, inside and out, and I still had good change left out of the $4K.
    Years later the old 35 was junked and replaced with a later model Evinrude 40, and the Johno 6 is now on the other boat at Eucumbene; still running perfectly, after being replaced by a bow mount remote controlled 54lb Watersnake electric. An old design; you can cop some spray when wind blows, but for the purpose it was built; it remains close to perfect. It's age doesn't embarrass me, and it has seen thousands of fish caught. It runs around 40km/k with one up on flat salt water, and I love the old thing, because it works. Noel

creekboy and Sprinter like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Forgot to include a pic of the old tub (At Eucumbene). 029 BOAT TWO, SANDFLY TBX.jpg
    Before the 40 and the electric were fitted

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    An 'oldie', but a 'goodie' Noel. I still see quite a few of the older boats in use during my travels and they do the job well.

Jeff :cool:

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Jeff
    Just to say Tuross is an extremely popular water for the kayak guys, having noted you use one. Most is two metres deep, with lots of quiet backwaters.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    The old girl looks great Noel a credit to you. Have you got any photos of her before the restoration, love to see them if you have

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
  19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Kev
    Just had a look, but found nothing. Of course today it would be well documented.
    Perhaps we were ashamed of it at the time.
    Noel

creekboy likes this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    But this pic is of the old Savage we sold when I got crook. Lovely old girl. Loved that boat.
    028 THAT'S A BOAT.JPG
    We used to stay on board on summer nights, cook dinner, kill a bottle of wine, and wake up amidst the best of nature.