1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Simple fg knot!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Apr 21, 2017.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Just another one of those things where one state outlaws a particular procedure whilst other states couldn't care less.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I really wonder how they came up with such a weird name. If it's derived from 'Simple f.....g knot', and if needs a video to learn to tie it, then it's not such a simple f.....g knot anyway. Couldn't get interested myself. Noel

3. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Got a chance to test out the FG Knot over the weekend. Went back to using a leader on my light spin rod & used the knot to join the 12 lb Fireline to a rod lengh of 20 lb Mono. Hooked up a 70 cm rather fat Carp using shrimp & a 37 cm Yella on a lure that had me wrapped around a snag for a while until landed.

Pleased to say the knot held up well under fishing conditions. Had a bit of practice tying it & getting better at it but still have the odd time it doesn`t work.

4. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I have been using it for over 12 months, I tie the odd one that slips, always check before using !

creekboy, AJ Fishman, Ditch and 2 others like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Amazed that a fisho would even contemplate gear that performs as per the quote. If you can't trust it 100%, don't use it. Noel

6. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Not everything I do is prefect, The FG is a brilliant knot, I would not contemplate using anything else. But I don't always get it right. I test every knot I tie, when I tie it, So I know it is 100% before it hits the water.Knots to lures or hooks using Flurocarbon, can weaken if they don't pull up smoothly! I know what a good knot feels like, If I don't like it, I do it again. Hard to photograph, this is 4lb braid to 4lb fluro.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.