1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Soft Plastics

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, May 5, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I got talking to a bloke at our local markets yesterday about this very issue, Noel. Now that we are getting an influx of tourists, I usually have a stall where I try to flog off anything surplus to my needs, especially fishing gear and more often than not I manage to unload a heap of cheap soft plastics.

This particular customer was gathering a few different colours and it was obvious that he was attracted to the brighter hues and not any of the darker lures. I asked him why he wanted the yellows, reds and whites and he said that he was heading out west to chase yellow-belly and because the water would be very dirty, he needed lures that the fish could see. If he wasn't interested in buying a heap of bright coloured sp's, I probably would have debated his theory, but what the heck - he may have been right in his belief.

I have always been a firm believer that it is the action of a lure that attracts the fish and it is the colour that attracts the fisherman. I have seen this with barra, jacks, snapper, salmon and squid. If you present the lure the right way and use it correctly, you have a better than even chance of a hookup, but in saying that, I have seen a gold bomber work on barra when nothing else will o_O.

Jeff

AJ Fishman and creekboy like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    That's why fishing will always be fishing. The fisherman can't control it.

creekboy likes this.