1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

... still got it

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by reelaxation, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:41 PM.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    IMG_20171006_183127.jpg IMG_20171006_183139.jpg IMG_20171006_183144.jpg IMG_20171006_185555.jpg IMG_20171006_190405.jpg Well finally got out after over 6mths with no fishing
    Went down my old local beach with some worms and some old taylor I caught for strip baits, and a 6pack of beer :p

Started looking around the place and found my usual 'ting and bream spot was inundated with kelp, so I fished around the edges of it hoping it would improve as the tide reached the peak, but it worsened- a quick change down the beach further proved to be a reasonable option and before long I started getting bites, but no hookups.

I had my jew rod out with 2 big strips of taylor on a paternoster rig maybe tempting any choppers or salmon and I wasnt disappointed when on 2nd cast I hooked up onto a fat Salmon. Gee it was great to hear the baitrunner singing as it took repeated runs and tore line off the reel even though I had around 4kg drag running it still took around 10mins to get the little beastie onto the sane- and was a great fish around the 70cm mark I am guessing. Took a piccie and then released it to give someone else some curry in the future.

I lobbed out another cast and immediately started getting bites- but this time I hooked up to a small Bream which tried to engulf a 4/0 big red hook, was barely legal and came in quietly on the jew rod... After a quick piccie back in the water he went.

The weed had well and truly taken over not long after this so I took a few scenery shots in the late afternoon glow.

After dark I hoped the current and weed would abate but it was relentless- and a growing 20-25knot SE wind made it very uncomfortable to fish and the tide was roaring so I coudlnt hold in the hole- so I eventually decided to move to another beach, where I found weed was not as bad and the wind wasnt onshore.

Not long after I arrived the tide peaked and I managed to get a 1m+ PJ shark which was a great fight and took several goes to wash on to the sand. I didnt bother with any piccies and resumed fishing. Time came and went with no further luck so I let most of my live worms go and threw the frames into the drink to feed the local bream population.

Super stoked to get out and get a couple of drag pullers, hopefully next time I will have a bit better luck for some table fare.

Tight lines
    Anthony

AWL, Sprinter, Rod Bender and 5 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Great report and pics

reelaxation and creekboy like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good to see you back into it Anthony - top report and looking at those pics makes me want to pack my gear and head for the coast, even if it is 400 kms away. I've been out bush too long - I need salt air in the nostrils.

Jeff :cool:

reelaxation, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, creekboy.

reelaxation, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Brilliant!:)

creekboy and reelaxation like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Nice work :cool::cool:

creekboy and reelaxation like this.