1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

THE BEST OR WORST DAY FISHING?

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    When the chips are down; it depends on the state of your mind. But how can there be a doubt?
    Yesterday I took boat for a run on the lake. It was still, with some solid cloud out to sea, but sunny on the water. Beautiful. The tide was well out, with another hour or two before total low.
    I thought I owed the bay where we got the jewie last week another visit, so went there first. Within the first minute or so, casting up onto the shallows behind a drop off, I found I was hooked on some weed, so used the line to ease the boat closer as it was downstream in the tide flow. Then the 'weed' started to swim away. I don't call them big until over 70cm, and have caught enough big flathead to know this was another one. She came down off the shallows and went up and down the channel for a few minutes, then simply swam away. My belief is she was never hooked in the first place; simply hanging onto the plastic as many of you have perhaps experienced. It's not uncommon. She was in water barely half a metre deep.

I shot some video of the off shore cloud bank. It had now reached the shore line and the lake entrance was totally fogged in, as was nearby Potato Point. While seen to be moving quickly; it remained as heavy fog until after 12.30pm. Visibility would have been limited, and it was less than half a kilometre from where I fished in brilliant sunshine.

Half an hour later I was fishing another sand bank, in behind the channel markers, again in half a metre of water. The plastic just stopped. No movement for about a minute, but I was suspicious. Then it moved. The typical head shaking, told me of course it was 'another' biggie, and this one stayed out in the shallows. As she moved around, baitfish were jumping out of the water everywhere: The obvious reason why she was there. Then the line went slack and she swam away, never to be seen again.
    Obviously another example of holding the plastic without getting hooked. Score: Fish two, Noel none.

It is not uncommon for us to fish these flats when the water's calm. If wind is blowing, the waves can stir it up and make it a bit muddy at times.

Nothing happened for the next hour. Never even caught a little one. It seemed there were none in the shallow water. I changed to a 100mm Squidgy Red Rum and threw it out onto the flats again, and first cast; found I was hooked on another clump of weed. Most suspicious now; I just held the line tight for a while, then it moved off as sort of expected. It wasn't the choice of plastic; it was just in the right place at the right time. An unheard of third big flattie in one morning was on the line. This one was going nowhere. She stayed out on the shallows for five minutes before coming back into the channel, where about ten minutes later she slid into the net. It checked out at 78cm. A magnificent specimen; wide and thick; she was a very heavy fish for that length and was released of course.

IMAG0013TBX.jpg
    Around lunchtime it all happened again, and I lost another big one. I guess you can't really lose something you never had, but this one stayed on the line for several minutes, and I thought it was mine for sure. Then she swam away. I wound the line in and the plastic was pulled in half as in a tug of war. That has never happened to me before, other than when hit by tailer. I'll never understand why all this happened. Perhaps the fish were simply gorged and only half hearted about food. That's just a wild guess.

The tide was lower now and the last fish was in little more than a foot of water. Incredibly; I had not hooked one small flattie for the entire morning, but they did move when the tide turned, and then got quite a few.
    What a magnificent morning, fishing in perfect conditions, with few other boats seen, and I brought home one at 57 for a feed. Two feeds actually. My state of mind tells me it was one of the best morning's ever. Not landing those big fish was out of my control, and never ignore shallow water in bright sunlight. But you might never experience what I had. I don't expect it to ever happen again. Noel, with apologies for the length of this.

Madfisher, Rod Bender, AWL and 4 others like this.
  2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Great report Noel, and a cracking Lizard!

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    x2

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X3. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Good read Noel,thank's for sharing mate:cool::cool:

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Great report Noel! Don't worry about the length of your report...I have written longer ones when I haven't caught a fish!:)
    Cheers
    Team Bender

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I can well imagine. It would be possible to write a book on some of my less spectacular days. And thanks.

AWL, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Decided to change the avatar pic. This queenie was taken from the sand at Dundee Beach, a couple of hundred kms south west of Darwin, a couple of years ago. Lovely spot; we stayed for about five weeks after planning one or two. Very isolated place then, but becoming more developed now. There was only the caravan park and tavern. From there you can access the Finnis River further south by driving along the beach. But three wrecked 4X4s are testament to being caught by the tide. I think the so called traditional owners have now banned access to much of this great river. Queens are great fun on light gear. At times it seemed to be 200m off shore and still going.

9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Nice queenie, Noel. Cheers, creekboy.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  10. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Great report Noel, I quite enjoyed it. On the way south to see our friends Sal and I stopped and had a fish upstream of the bridge, and SCORED ONE FLATTIE EA ON A PLASTICS.

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Pete. Which bridge and how far south were you heading?

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    The bridge over the Tuross bridge mate, drove in beside the bridge and drove upstream about a k or so. We where on our way down to see friends near Cobargo.

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Should have given us a yell. Would love to have gone out to say g'day

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Next time for sure mate.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.