1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tilt and trim problems

Discussion in 'Equipment, Accessories and Maintenance' started by Garfield28, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi all,

New to the forum, so firstly hi to you all and look forward to reading your threads and advice.

I have a Mercury Saltwater series 125 out board and it has just stated out of nowhere giving me problems with the tilt and trim. Started yesterday at first I got to the boat ramp and when I tried to tilt my motor up from the forward controls there was nothing. I went to the back of the boat and tried to do it from the actual motor but same thing. Anyhow left it down and got the boat on the trailer and went home. At home it come good and started to go up with no dramas, but now it will go up all the time but will only every now and then go down. A few times I'd have to go up to get it to go down, but mainly it just will only go down intermediately.

The batteries are good, when I press the button either on the forward controls or on the outboard itself, there's no clicking, no drowsey flat sound, its just completely dead not making any noise and just not responding. I think mine is a 91 year of manufacture, and just hopeful there is a few things any of you can guide me on checking to rectify the problem.

Thanks

Geoff

kev209 likes this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Geoff welcome aboard, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out

3. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi Kev,
    Thanks

I hope so mate

kev209 likes this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Welcome to the site Geoff. Like Kev I am unable to help you but someone should be able to offer some suggestions. Some guys get on here every few days so an answer may be a day or two away but it will come. In the meantime, we look forward to your contribution.
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209 likes this.
  5. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Welcome to the forum Geoff,

No expert in this area but it sounds like it could be a faulty relay on the electric motor that drives the hydraulics for the trim. If the problem is intermittent it is probably an electrical fault & not a problem with the drive motor itself.

Found an online manual - https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...60300-thru-0t979999-usa/power-trim-components

Part 19 is the relay that could be faulty - probably located under the cowl somewhere.

Not sure on your motor model - a list of models on this page - https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/125-4-cyl

Might give you an idea on where to start.

kev209 likes this.
  6. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome Rod Bender

Thanks for that info Ditch, appreciate it mate.

kev209 likes this.
  7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Welcome aboard Garfield :cool: Good to have you along.
    I think ditch is onto it,doesnt sound like a problem with the power pack itself,it's just not getting the right electrical signal so to speak.I'm no expert on boat motors,my tilt,trim&steer with my 25 hp mariner is me:(.I deal with automation everyday and DC (control) circuits are very susceptible to having a poor "earth" (the correct term is o vdc) I'd be checking all your black wires & connections in the circuit.A lot of the time they are done in series so one bad one can bring it all unstuck.Look for "green growth" on a copper terminal or wire.Clean it up with a bit of emery or wet & dry.

kev209 likes this.
  8. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome and advice mate truly appreciate it.

kev209 likes this.
  9. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Will likely be the solenoid in the tilt/trim motor Ive had the same issue on a Yamaha and a Mariner- pretty common thing to go, but as AWL said check all your connections and earth wires to make sure you have good contacts.

If all else fails take it to a mechanic

Good luck mate

:)

kev209 likes this.
  10. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I pulled the terminals off the batteries and gave them a real good clean with my dremal tool. Put them back on, and still only going up not down. I then pulled off the relay switched and swapped them over, and then it started to go down but not up... would that seem like the down relay switch was no good?

If so anyone suggest where I could buy another set also?

'

Thanks

Geoff

kev209 likes this.
  11. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I'd just get another set of genuine ones off mercury.The first ones lasted 25 odd years,not a bad run.

kev209 likes this.
  12. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    True.

Now if I am to replace the relays and I still have the same problem, what else could I possibly check?

Thanks

kev209 likes this.
  13. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I wouldn't bother wasting to many $$ trying to fix it yourself if the new relays don't solve it.
    I'd take reelax advice and take it to a pro.

kev209 likes this.
  14. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Would like to thank you all for your tips and advice.

Just an update, I brought a new relay for $15 from a place in Newcastle and it has fixed the problem.

Really appreciate the time taken to write up your replies.

Thanks
    Geoff

AWL, Ditch, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  15. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    That's a good result for $15:)

kev209 likes this.
  16. Garfield28

Garfield28 New Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Sure was mate.

kev209 likes this.