1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Whacha all up to?

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Nov 26, 2017.

1. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    The Ghan is booked till the end of the year only a few gold class tickets left, a friend just got back from a trip on the Ghan from Darwin to Adelaide which we had planed to do, she traveled gold class and said felt like a sardine and the cost was through the roof, but she really enjoyed the trip. So we settled on Alice which was our second option, with return flights all transfers plus 7 nights accommodation is about $7000 cheaper going by the Travel Agent.

creekboy, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    That sounds about correct Kev

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have spoken to a few people who have travelled on the Ghan and also the Indian Pacific, they all say that they enjoyed the experience of a long distance rail journey apart from one drawback - half of the trip is under the cover of darkness and you miss out on seeing a lot of the landscape.

It could be said that there is not much to see out there, but that comes down to what the individual expects to see. On one of my trips to the centre I stopped for a break near Tennant Creek and took a few photos of the area to show a friend in Sydney. He had always talked about a trip to the centre and when I showed him the photos, he said "bugger that, there's nothing there" and my reply was "you are not wrong, there are no traffic lights, no big mobs of people, no air pollution, nothing except for a landscape that hasn't been destroyed by man, but give him time, he will get to it one day". My friend still hasn't done the trip, says he is waiting for a chain of Starbucks to be built, one every 100 kms along the Stuart Highway before he would even think about it.

For those who appreciate the raw beauty of the Australian outback, there is always something to see - you just have to look.

Enjoy your trip out there Kev, it is a magic part of the country except for the lack of fishing.

Jeff:cool:

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    100% RIGHT JEFF

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yesterday, I had a bloke come to have a look at some mining gear that I decided to sell and he asked me what was under a tarp near the side of the shed. I told him that it was my kayak and he was keen to see it. As quick as a flash, he asked if I was interested in selling it and I told him that it was not for sale - frogsh!t he said, everything is for sale and he offered me $500 for it. Sold........I only paid $300 for it.

So, here I am, completely boatless. The first time in the past 40 years that I haven't owned a vessel of some description to get me out on the water and I have to decide which way to go now, another kayak or go back to a tinny. I liked the kayak for the simplicity of ease of transport and handling, but I missed the gear carrying space and stability of a tinny. Decisions, decisions.............?

Jeff :confused:

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    No need to hurry; just get it right

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm leaning towards a Quintrex 320 Wanderer, Noel, a little lightweight at 50 kgs and a 6 hp will get it up on the plane okay with just me in the boat.

Being without a boat is a strange feeling - a sort of emptiness.

Jeff :(

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Been there, done that (once)

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Not much happening here- lucky I am flicking every day and learning my spots intimately in under an hour each session... I am very keen to try my hand a poppers and surface luring for Bass and EP's and Bream esp, I have found a few great locations I just need the time to get there and get my pop along- hopefully a few of my Bite Me cicada candy lures and some small stick baits will bring some fish undone- and mark a small milestone as the only fish Iva caught on lures besides Flatties in the estuaries.

Onwards and upwards they say- hopefully a report or 2 in the coming weeks

Tight lines
    Anthony

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Have you ever fished the upper reaches of Dora Creek, Anthony? There are some good stretches of water that used to hold some absolute monster bream and I reckon you would most likely hook into decent flathead as well. The last time I fished the creek would have been near on 10 years ago and I think it would still be a top spot - not many fishos went up into the backwater, they mainly went out into the lake.

Jeff :cool:

11. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Hey Jeff, I am sometimes up Dora Creek way and I have often thought about dropping in a line around there, but I am yet to actually try it out. 20 odd years ago I lived on a farm in Morisset and we used to fish in that area of Dora Creek and get some honker bream on fresh earth worms so I think if I can get there and have some time I will definitely investigate it.

I went back to Wyong Creek this morning with some lovely poppers and cicada immiations got plenty of follows from the resident bream but they were fairly small fry- I did see a large school of fairly big bully mullet patrolling the area but every time I got a lure near them the spooked- I think I migt need to go there with a live bait trap and catch some mullet and send them out live. If I had a kayak (on my list now) I could go further upstream and try the areas up past the weir for Bass, but its a mission to get there by road and a bit of a walk in- so not really ideal when I have only an hour or so to flick in between jobs.

Still, I am really digging the fact I get to do a job I really like and I get to flcik lures around in my spare time- not too many people can say they have that going. I hav been trying to get all my lures out and wet and Ive lost a few to submerged timer, some to the overhanging trees but at least I feel its the right location so I will just persist. Today I tried some poppers, some cranks and some crawfish hard bodies in different sizes and only lost one lure to the trees- so I was fairly happy.
    Didnt bother with piccies today- I am still getting my accuracy throwing light lures in amongst the snags and every time I seem to get a bit better- once I have more confidence I will venture into adding some pics and hopefully some fish will come along LOL

Will try again some time next week got tomorrow off but am down sydney and get a wedding to go to on sunday arvo/night on sydney harbour.

12. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Please forgive me, I havent been fishing for a couple of months. Im trying to learn how to trade on the foreign exchange market. 91% of those who try fail.So I have been studying day and night. I have been forced into early retirement, so need a source of income to fuel my addiction. 1 lost lure a day, at $20 a pop adds up !!! Howard.
    I WILL BE BACK!

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  13. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016

Anthony, I had this idea that you fished with bait ?

kev209 likes this.
  14. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Yes I did fish with bait but now I like flicking lures I am chasing my first Bream, Bass and EP on lure so I've been hitting up some backwater creeks in my lunch breaks. I plan to use bait from the beach as I love it and know it works flicking is more about exploring different areas and trying all sorts of lures.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 12:34 PM
    Bluefin, kev209 and diesel like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We missed some of the forecast rain, but did get 100+mm one day. We didn't get the 50 more that were to follow it next day. That would have made a mess of fishing until after Christmas. I follow an automated river level indicator at Eurobodalla. It's not a town, just a region, and our shire is named after it. It's close to the Great Divide, so in a much smaller part of the Tuross River. It rose a bit over a metre one day, which wouldn't have much effect as the river is wider further down. The river will be dirty for a while, but the lake and estuary proper should continue to fish OK. May get out Tuesday and/or Wednesday, subject to weather predictions. Noel.

kev209 and diesel like this.