1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What's your biggest Carp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CornaCarpio, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    A few years ago, when I became mildly obsessed with carp fishing, I also became preoccupied with breaking the "70cm barrier". For me, 70cm is where a 'good' carp turns into a 'big' carp. Despite the number of carp I catch (the odd one or two) I still have trouble catching big specimens over the 70cm mark. I reckon I have probably caught only around 5 all up, and a lot in the 65-69cm range.

This is partly because I am not equipped to deal with them - until recently I only ever really used 6lb monofilament line and maybe partly because where I fish there may not be too many big units around (now I use at least 8lb line). I have been smoked plenty of times by big carp that would make 70cm seem like minnows. A few years ago I was fishing at Taylors Lake with a mate when I tangled with something big. I was using 2 dead minnows as bait and it seemed whatever I hooked didn't even realise it was hooked - it was peeling line at a rate of knots and just 'cruising' along, impervious to the fact that I was trying to land it. I actually thought it was a large Murray Cod, until I managed to get to close enough it rose to the surface - I saw this big black head the size of a motorcycle helmet and big rubbery lips...before the knot had come undone on my hook. I still think about that fish, and how my life would have been different had I of caught it. I know its out job to exaggerate as fishermen, but I honestly believe this carp was well over 1m.

When using light line fishing a small creek or river, it is also very easy for a 70-80cm specimen to break the line or get snagged very quickly. Carp, like most fish, often inhibit the most unobtainable places - in and around snags! Another time, I remember fishing as a kid in the Wimmera River with one of those cheap telescopic set-ups (not too dissimilar to what I use now). I was watching my float when I saw this huge mouth under it (I swear I could have shoved a 1.25litre coke bottle in its mouth). when my float submerged, I picked up my rod, the line when taught, my reel birdnested and the carp snapped the line (and nearly the rod) almost instantaneously like it was nothing!

Anyway, enough tales of woe/'the one that got away'. Go ahead and post your 'big' carp pics here, whatever 'big' means to you!

CC

My biggest carp to date: 74cm, taken from Gardiner's Creek
    IMG_4535.jpg

Another solid specimen taken from the creek:
    20160313_162830.jpg

An elongated specimen from Taylors Lake:
    IMG_5690.jpg

This one cuts the mustard, just:
    IMG_5556.jpg

So close, but so far:
    IMG_5171 (1).jpg

AJ Fishman and Madfisher like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Good stuff mate, I landed a 74cm carp on Sunday actually in a large water hole in a tablelands river.
    But it was not real fat only going 9.75lb. I only sight fish, and use flies for carp, so exciting. I have taken two over 80cm this year, the longer fish post spawn went 14.5lb, but the shorter one full of eggs went 17.75lb. my PB is 86cm and 9.26kg, it took out the Sofala carp comp in 2011, and is still the biggest caught to date at that comp.
    Our biggest fish landed seem to come from rivers, rather then dams.
    cheers pete

kev209, Rod Bender and AJ Fishman like this.
  3. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I got my PB carp's in early December in a storm drain that runs into the Goulburn river behind my house.
    They would not have made it to the river because they where to thick to fit through the metal grid.
    pb carps s.jpg
    the one that i have went 80 cm and the other 70+cm
    carp s.jpg
    this carp was to smaller one out of the 2 and he didn't really want to fit in the net.
    net fishing s.jpg
    there where smaller carp in there around 20 to 30 cm but we didn't get any.

kev209, AWL and Rod Bender like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Keeping records is not my forte but I think my PB carp is 73 cm's. This was a carp I landed in one of my fishing 'challenge' comps on another forum. I took on the female members (and slaughtered them:cool:) in a carp comp whilst I was masquerading as a cat!:confused: The fish came out of one of the inlet channels into Warang Basin.

Choosing tackle for chasing big carp is a tough one as far as I am concerned. I do not want to give them a chance! But if you go to heavy then you are likely only to catch the small dumb ones. Where I can get away with light line is the channels as you can let the fish run until it dies of old age. In the shallows of Waranga Basin I have used down to 4 lb mono!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Heard a rumour someone could change their user name to Rod Breaker!:cool:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    kev209, AJ Fishman and AWL like this.
  5. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I enjoy reading your posts cc you tell a good yarn, I caught a 82cm carp the other week if I can work out how to get the picture from my old (broken) phone I'll put a picture up you'd love it up here on the Murray there's some big carp around and the channels are full of them

6. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    the biggest i have "caught" was 21Lb, using a bowfishing rig
    Gininnderra creek, upstream or the lake! (Canberra)
    biggest line caught was 15Lb, on a handline using sweetcorn
    biggest rod caught was 10Lb was on fly