1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Where O Where have our Fisherman gone

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Apr 27, 2018.

1. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    good fun that trap shooting, I have a go acaisionaly whith my 20 guage/ .22 rimfire single shot combo gun get funny looks off shooters who don't know me but it busts clays if I get the leed etc right. no choke 18" barrel , very handy.
    first time I used it hunting I called in a fox it ran right up to me so I thought id drop it whith the .22 partly to keep noise down as there was a farmhouse a few hundred meters away early on a sunday morning , pulled trigger and BOOOOOM!!!!! magnum load of bb,s, kicked like a bloody mule when expecting a .22 shot, very loud, boofhead pulled wrong trigger. fox didn't go anywhere had about 20 tufts of fur behind it.
    I will look into tying flies up to 23 grams, that is heavy I hope I don't stuff up cast and hit myself in the back of the head and knock myself out!.
    What type/style of flies did find worked well over there mate? I have seen ones tied mostly from copper wire.
    cheers

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I used to shoot trap, skeet and trench. Got lucky to shoot A grade in all three. Loved it. Always wanted to reach the 25m limit handicap but never made it. Got to 23 metres though which is a pretty long handicap.

In NZ I used a lot of hair and copper flies with lead eyes. Many use 'bug eyes' egg flies with weighted eyes. Egg flies were never my favourite but certainly used them. You're right about being hit with a weighted fly. They can hurt. If they hit the wrong place the weight will drive a hook in deep.

Over the years we used many types of flies. Like fishing everywhere; the gear keeps changing otherwise tackle shops would go out of business. There's no reason why the old flies like Hydro Hustlers won't still work. They were tied as an egg fly, but as two on one hook, with a white tail behind them. I liked the smaller hare and copper as the trailing nymph as it's much like a caddis grub. Some times we used nymphs with the body solely of fine copper wire. With so little resistance; they go down quickly with less weight wrapped on them.

Had some wonderful times over there. Noel.

3. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thx for that noel , I will look those flies up and tie some up, whith tungsten bead heads I hope to go NZ whithin the next year. Good shooting getting into A grade I am a B grader in other shooting disiplines can sometimes shoot A grade when practising but need to do it in a comp!
    Thx . Blair

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I don't know today but assume it's still similar. To retain A grade in trap we had to consistently maintain a score of 96/100. It only took a couple of bad windy days for a back marker to drop below that, but I managed to hold there. My first clean round of skeet; 25/25 was pleasing, but it soon became more normal. Apart from my base club then in Bairnsdale Vic; I regularly shot Frankston-Australian and Lilydale in Melbourne. They were big grounds and 150 well known shooters was common. Fifty and 100 target events were also common. Shot the National Championships at Lilydale with over 800 on the ground one year before the National ground at Wagga was built and called there one day to meet some of the old Bairnsdale guys. It was a strong club. I regularly burnt around 500 shells a week. Longest clean break was over 400 but not all in one day.
    If I can find some; I'll see if I can send some pics of flies. No guarantees. Noel.

5. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    wow 800 competitors that's a big comp must have had some good prizes up for grabs. Ive been interested in going into clay target shooting but have enough hobbies as it is, probably being a bit of a tight arse as well also probably knock my shoulder around a bit too, definatly good fun though. might get into it if and when I retire or win lotto!
    Hopefully I will see those flie or fly? pics, had a look on the net and pics of real live breathing newzealand flies came up also ads for jet airline companies found a few fishing fly pics. I like to tie some of my own flies so I can better imitate the real ones at first they usually looked like they were made by a retard but now they work well, good hobby when I am in the mood to tie some up. Tied up a few red and black nymphs a while back simply because I know fish like red and black and landed a 65cm brown on one the day before a comp, would have won the comp if it was the day after. Might get off my arse and enter the snowy mountains comp one of these days, good excuse to go fishing as well. That would have been a great day when u won $4k I bet the boss was pleased too.
    I will send u some pics of my favourite home grown flies. I still haven't found and sent pic of my favorite carp fly yet.
    cheers blair

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Winning lotto is an excellent pre-requisite to trap shooting. Yes; the prizes were good but most guys would want to win an Australian National Championship more than anything. These days you have to shoot breaks of several hundreds to get there. I got to 5th in a double rise event when they were held in Geelong years ago. Michael Diamond and Billy Iles (the tattooed man from Melbourne) stayed in a shoot off at the NZ Nationals a few years ago for three days while they shot something like 1700 each. Iles won it but Diamond created a record with over 2000 straight after winning the previous event with over 400. Being a National Title they could not split it. It had to be shot to finality. They had to change all their flights home.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: earlier I said my weighted flies weighed 23 grams. I stuffed up. They were weighed on a powder scale, so that should read 23 GRAINS; not grams. There's a difference. 23 grams is about 350 grains in
    powder weight.
    That's a bomb. Many flies used over there are different to the standard run of NZ trout flies and those used here. First you have to decide to fish nymphs casting up stream with an indicator, or sinking lines fishing downstream. I've mostly nymphed upstream, but have had some good fish while working down hill as it's called. The north island small streams are much overgrown in summer and only the bigger rivers are good for dry fly. We always went in July/August during the spawning runs; when the Tongariro and many small streams are fishable. Will ask my mate if he can send me some picks of his current flies and forward. Noel.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    An add on Blair.

Google 'flies for the Tongariro'.

It will give you suggestions for different months, along with good pics of flies. N

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    he is a legend micheal diamond, I remember he won gold at the Olympics when no other aussie was. I met him when I was a kid.
    2000 straight! I think I heard about that comp. ha ha 23 grains I think I would have noticed when I go to make some I have powder scale in grains. better check your using grains and not grams if u do some reloading! your loads might bust clays in the next shire whith the range you will have using grams! I will have a look at flies for tongariro thanks for the river conditions and best times to go tips, I didn't have a clue so now I can make a plan when to go a good plan usually = good results.
    just got back from a bit of hunting up the snowy got a nice fallow buck, so I will be cooking and the dogs will be eating well too, while they are at the dog park sniffing each others arses, I bet they brag to their mates "what has your master been feeding u this week" "oh pal and dog biscuts" " oh we are dining on fallow again this week, you peasant, woof". This was the dogs 3rd hunting trip and its learning well, it didn't run hundreds of meters away at the sound of a shot and go missing for hours this time.
    cheers blair

creekboy, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You would have a helluva job trying to put 23 grams of powder into practically any calibre round, Blair, apart from light anti aircraft calibres. Even a .50 cal only uses about 14.5 grams depending on the powder used. I use jewellers balance scales for weighing gemstones, they are accurate to 1/2000 of a gram - great for fine tuning weights of fishing lures.

Jeff

creekboy, blair and Old fisho like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Well I didn't know there was so much fun for people in a simple spelling mistake. Wonder what I can do if I made some serious ones. Always wondered how one built a bomb; now I know. How you doing Jeff?
    Blair; have photo from my mate re flies. Will post it later. It's all the flies he's used during his last four trips. He has offered to send a bigger jpg image so will post the current one and still request the larger one. Some of the flies; particularly caddis grubs, go back to before my days and are used on Eucumbene too. Noel

creekboy likes this.
  11. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi jeff, yes I know it wouldn't fit making a joke of it ha ha, 350 grains would probably completely fill 2 empty 12 guage cases, what u would have to do is load an primed empty case into barrel pour in powder etc from muzzle , then tamp it down might develop a flinch whith that sort of load but, and be in trouble for littering , putting bits of shotgun all over the range.
    Yes noel I work construction and if some one makes the slightest mistake they will get the piss taken out of them for ages, for example a bloke on the site which I have been on for a few weeks called me bert the other day as he had forgotten my name so now most people on the site are calling each other bert now, or anything other than their real name. Please feel free to take the piss I know my spelling and grammer could be more betterer. was talking to the builder today and he used to live in NZ and fished the lake taupo and Tongariro river he quite likes the area and seems to know it well.
    He was into deer hunting while there as was the rest of the country and they have an annuall comp to see who gets the best set of antlers, during the comp time one of the blokes has a house near a forest and his wife was getting pissed off whith deer coming and wrecking her laundry hanging on the line and getting in to the garden etc generally being a nuisiance, one day she seen a deer emerge from the forest so grabbed a rifle stuck it out the window and blasted it, it turned out to have the best set of antlers far exceeding the next best for the yearly comp.
    Looking forward to those pics mate will most likely get off my arse and take and post some myself only working 3 days next week apparently but will most likely get real busy soon.
    tight lines.

creekboy likes this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Around about 40 years ago, I was a member of the Bankstown Rifle Club and regularly shot at Anzac Rifle Range. One morning I was on the zero range sighting in a new Omark target rifle when a mate rolled up with an old flintlock muzzle loader he had borrowed from someone, but he wasn't quite game to fire a shot. He said he knew how to load it okay, so I said I'll have a crack at it - to this day I'm not sure if my mate did actually know what he was doing. He had loaded it with a modern powder instead of black powder and the immense pressure had split the entire length of the barrel. It was a costly exercise for him considering that it was a very valuable collection piece. I did manage to hit the target though.

Jeff

blair, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair. Sending pics in new post in Chewing the fat Noel.

creekboy likes this.
  14. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018

creekboy likes this.