1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

100% Catch improvement...

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Master Baiter, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Over the last 10 or so days fishing I have only caught small Fish using Nathalia Euro's for my fishing.The ones I have been using are really small. Having great trouble threading them on a hook I decided to go and dig some scrubbies that was easier said than done. Anyway last Wednesday I went to a paddock where a tree came down 18 months ago to try the wood I cut and split as it was cold weather forecasted in the coming days. There was a nice mulch pile of old weathered leaves under the small branches and leaves I left for kindling, so I gave the mulch scrape with my boot and sure enough Scrub worms I took about Twenty and left the rest of the mulch untouched but left the wood for another few months will be ready for next winter.Went down to the Lake and caught Carp, Redfin and Yella's all big except the Redfin. Last night I went down at 4.30 baited up sat back but dozed off. This has happened tome before but this time I awoke to both Rods being pulled with good fish I got one in but as I went to get the other it got off. The Yella I got was 48cm a bit skinny but in good condition. I caught another one before I left 43cm Both realesed.
    Bottom line the few times I used night crawlers I only had a couple of small Fish but mostly none. I will not be using Euro night crawlers again unless there is no other bait to use.
    100% Scrubbies number one small to medium yabbies number two and Garden Worms number three for my favourite baits always have been always will.
    when it is hot I like Crickets Maggots as well.
    Wally

2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I will remember to not use nathalia euros for bait M.B,not sure where I could get them anyway.

Old fisho likes this.
  3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Well went back for a few more scrub worms today same spot as the other day, must be to warm none there. 40mm of rain due in a couple of days so will try after that.
    Fishing hot at the moment with good size Cod being returned as should be plus Yellas but no Redfin or Carp I dont ko why.
    Wally

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Had absolutely no idea what these Nathalia Euros were so asked Dr Google.
    They look like the common garden worms we used as kids.
    Noted too that there was even a photo of a flathead, purported to be caught on them.
    That does not surprise me as some locals use garden worms here for whiting, with good success.
    Noel
    Education now complete

blair and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I am not a fan of buying bait Noel so I am not an expert on the different bait worms available. But from some that I have seen, the quality varies. Dave gets what I would call 'garden' worms from his local store. They are good size and what I would call garden worms. And they are what I prefer to use if it wasn't so dry and I could dig them!

Some worms I have seen for sale are more like the skinny compost worms I have at home. It sounds like the ones Wally got were similar in size anyway as I would struggle to thread them on a hook.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Tightar5e when it comes to buying bait!

blair likes this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm probably even more so when it comes to buying bait. On the rare occasions the G/kids come here I used to take them out for a fish using prawns but I never used bait prawns. I would buy a bag of shelled and frozen raw prawn tails from the supermarket (around $20 for half a kilo).
    We worked it out many years ago that it was considerably cheaper than the stuff you get in bait bags when you discounted the rubbish that was included
    Zero waste is part of the game. I'd take a few out fishing and the rest came up pretty well in curry dishes over the next few weeks. These days I'd take the girls up the river, pump some blood worms (squirt worms to some) and they can catch a few whiting quite easily.
    Noel
    Not a bait fisher normally!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    blair and Rod Bender like this.