1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

12/5/18...1 metre carp day!

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, May 5, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Yep...as per title...just letting everyone know that on Saturday the 12th of May, 2018, an onslaught will occur in Northern Vic which will see me land my first metre plus carp! Plans are afoot already in regards to bait gathering which requires nothing less than steroid abusing yabbies and large mutated corn kernals! We may even use corn cobs rigged on shark hooks as I have seen the size of the carp at this location?

Berley will involve entire bread loaves (not sliced), tins of corn (still in can...the carp at this spot are that big they will open the can and spit the can back) and wheat bags full of grain being offered to the carp gods!

The event and eventual outcome will likely make the national news! The lead story will go something like this..."Heavy fighting continued today at 'Spot B' (B for bats)(let me know if anyone wants to attend)(please excuse all of these brackets) as several metre plus carp were beached as Team Bender battled Team Toolamba"! There will be local residents in attendance who will be pouring water over the carp after mistaking the carp for beached whales!

Stay tuned for updates! Now you have to excuse me as I am clearly due for my medication!:confused:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    After a build up like this...there is only one way this will finish!o_O

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Good one Jim,

creekboy likes this.
  3. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Kev you may know but it's only far to warn you that Jims been sniffing the Tuna oil again, cheers davo

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Top stuff that oil

creekboy likes this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So....a yabby hunt today produced 1yabby which will likely be used tomorrow in a local channel. The weather forecast for Saturday is looking atrocious so the hunt may be postponed!
    Cheers
    Team Bender

6. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016
    You are killing it Jim, one yabby at a time, :D cheers davo

kev209, AJ Fishman and creekboy like this.
  7. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Remember the old saying "you'll get most of your yabbies in the months which have an "R" in them".

Chook

kev209, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Don't forget to sacrifice a goat and to really get the gods on your side, try running around naked whilst screaming battle cries in some ancient obscure unintelligible language - it works for me every time. Doesn't improve the fishing, but it scares the crap out of anybody else thinking about sneaking in to your patch :D.

Jeff

9. DeeBeeKay

Aug 14, 2016

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Makes sense...the warmer months. I usually just keep trying until I consistently fail and then give up. I do the same at the start of the season. Although last night I had a net in the channel when I was fishing and was getting shrimp after dark. I know this will not last much longer.

Looking at Saturday's weather it appears that the forecast winds may be easing! We may bo on!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Won the gold medal in the 2000 Olympics 400 meter naked sprint event!

kev209, reelaxation, diesel and 2 others like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Well...that was fun!:confused: Team Bender vs Team Toolamba vs 1 metre carp! The metre carp were a no show! Actually, all carp were a no show! Yabbies, shrimp and colored corn did not attract much attention. Despite the lack of action, proper precautions were taken and we fished from a high elevation as we are all wary of being taken by a...1 metre carp! One can never be too cautious!
    tree 35.jpg
    One was also lucky that one was not blown out of the tree as winds were gusting up to 50 kmh! It was a shocker. So, we had no choice as 4pm approached and we were still fishless...we had to move. So onwards to a local channel to which we will refer to as 'Spot H' to protect its true identity.

This move produced a few bites and provided the only fish for the day!
    cod AJ 35.jpg
    Not a metre carp! Not a carp at all but I wonder if we spent the same amount of time here that we did at 'Spot B', how many could would we have ended up with.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Outdone by a person who looks like a cod!

12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So...the forecast for this Saturday looks to be carpish! This could be it! I just need to decide if I am going to work or go fishing to Nurmurkah in the hunt for the metery carp! I hopefully should have a car by then. What to do? Last trip there was a waste of time but we dealt with 50km/hr plus winds.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Looking for suggestions to either go fishing or work!

DeeBeeKay, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So....that was fun! I spent about 5 hours fishing at Numurkah yesterday for one carp!!! The lake is situated on the Broken Creek. Locals that I spoke too said they generally see nothing more than carp coming out of it.
    lake.jpg
    Choice of bait was corn...simply because it is the least expensive! I had a few bites during the day. The only fish landed was a carp around 58 cm's.
    carp.jpg
    Whilst it put up a good fight, I think the colder weather does inhibit their fighting ability.
    A fair wait and then I was on again. This fish just hit and ran. Somehow it got around a snag and managed to pull the snag upwards!
    snagged carp.jpg
    I gave it about 10 minutes to hopefully swim free and then restart the battle, however it didn't want to play so I busted it off. About 20 minutes later it made another attempt to free itself!
    snagged carp 2.JPG
    I would have thought it would be released as soon as the line broke but it wasn't the case this time. I wonder how many other fish suffer the same fate after being broken off.

So as I sat there later pondering the goal of capturing a metre carp...I glanced down at my landing net. It has a 60 cm ruler on its handle. Looking at that and realising that by adding another 40 cm's to the ruler, that is what I am hoping for, reality set in! It is not going to happen! Yes, there will no doubt be some metre cap somewhere, but they are going to be very smart fish that are not likely to hook up on light line....as opposed to metre cod which will hit lures or bait on heavy line.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Aspirations are in tatters!:(

14. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Well , Jim, it almost worked. Those occasions are why they invented hand grenades. Food for thought. Cheers, Lyall.

DeeBeeKay, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.