1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

2 or 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Boats' started by carps, Jun 2, 2009.

1. carps

carps New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    k so its the same old argument i have a 2 stroke 30 hp mariner on my 4 mtr bermuda tinny i want more speed and am tossing up between a 2 and 4 stroke 40hp..ive been told the 4 stroke 40 will be slower than my 30 is now any advice and also wat sort of price am i looking at to upgrade anyone know of hand...
    cheers for any advice you can offer carps

2. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    stick with what you have or go really big

3. carps

carps New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    mate if i could go 50 i would but i think it may effect my insurance and i have also entertained the idea of a bigger prop i currently have a 14 inch and am trying a 15 this weekend to c the dif also haVe thought about working the motor a bit but dont wanna effect the reliability at all WAT TO DO WAT TO DO :confused:

4. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    whats the tinny rated too hp wise?
    that would be the only hiccup insurance wise
    the 2 strokes are alot lighter for the same hp so i would stick with that for speed
    dont go the prop route as all it will do is bog the engine down and it will not be able to reach top revs

5. carps

carps New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    cant find any specs on the hull its self as its ten + years old its 4m with 4mm floor and 3mm wallls made by bermuda its quite a heavy boat and i have been told by a few people i could def go to 40hp i will try to sus out photos to ad one for yas cheers

6. wambat9

wambat9 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Hey carps both my brother and i own 400 hornets his with a 40hp 2stroke merc and mine with a 40hp four stroke merc. Weight of the boats is fairly similar except i probably carry a few more kgs around the tummy and in the esky. Performance wise he smashes me on holeshot but once were both up on the plane at wot I've actually got a little more top end speed than him. But as bognoel said they are heavy in comparison 106kg for the four stroke and i think around 80 kg for the two. It took me a while to sort out weight distribution in the boat with such a heavy motor but noticed gains in performance once i got this sorted. The only other thing i would recommend on the four stroke is the addition of a solas prop or equivilant, thanks to a mate of mine and an underwater object i needed to get a replacement prop so i rang solas they asked boat type, motor type and usual weight carried and then sent out my new prop. MAN !!!!! what a difference haven't run against the brother with the new prop yet but holeshot improved and top speed feels a bit quicker as well but haven't gps it to verify.
    Hope this helps Wambat9

7. Brownie

Brownie New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I got a 30 merc 2 banger on my 395 explorer and it screams along very light and economical, though the 4 strokes run smoother,quieter, no fuel to mix etc, they have all the bits that can go wrong also valves etc plus weight. I think my hull is 2mm floor and 1.6 sides so it would be considerably lighter than yours, i cant see any reason why 40 hp would be to big for that hull especially with that thickness hull. Cheers Brownie:)

8. carps

carps New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    thamks guys some great info there im currently thinking the evinrude etech is the way to go still to get prices though it may scare the hell outa me il let you all know how or witch way i go :)

9. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Carps, I got a new 4.2 stacer 14 months ago and went with a Honda 40hp 4 stroke. The boat has side console, casting deck, live bait tank, 45ltr underfloor fuel, me (110kg) , 2 x 130 amp hr batteries (@ 30kg each) and 2 x main batteries (approx: 20kg each), carries a fridge, esky, all gear and it goes at just on 51klm per hour (GPS Checked).

Put another 125kg bloke in and it drops back to about 46klm per hour. It's not to bad getting out of the water, better with just one person and I noticed it a little slower when I added the extra 2 batteries.

I'm very happy with the setup and the motor and 50 klm hr is quick enough especially in the Bidgee around wagga :eek:

Your 4 meter can probably legally take a 40 or you can always peel the 40 sticker off and get someone to print out a 30 :unsure:

Hope thats some help.

Cheers...Brett

10. Andy72

Andy72 New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I have a 40hp 4 stroke honda on my 4.35m edgetracker and I love it, holeshot is great and close to 55kmh fully loaded on the water. A surefire improvement from the 30hp tohatsu I took off the boat.

11. carps

carps New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    bwh1 ;)B)B) now where thinkin along sensible lines :lol: now just gotta go c the sticker man :unsure: