1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

2018 goals!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Yep...someone had to do it!:cool: Thought about continuing on with the '2017' thread but decided to wash my hands of it as 2017 was not the 'year of the Bender'! My goal for this year...lose some weight (tipped the scales at 174 kg this morning) and regain some mobility! That is all!

If by chance I achieve some of last years goals during my sessions, then I will revisit the thread. Feel free to add your goals here.
    cheers
    Team Bender

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    good luck mate.
    Cheers Pete

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's a damn good goal for this year Jim and I sincerely hope that you can achieve success.

I think the heaviest I have ever been was 75 kg and most of the time I am around 68 - 70. Healthy diet and regular exercise is the secret, but I guess you already know that.

Jeff :cool:

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My goals for 2018? I am only going to roll over one from '17 and that is to catch a trout and I haven't really thought much about any new targets. Maybe a new boat would have to be one and getting stuck into some serious sapphire mining is another. I will have to give it more thought.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Happy new year Jim good luck with your 2018 goal. I have been told this food by lean cuisine is highly recommended for us plumpish fellows and that really works. Worth a look.
    https://www.leancuisine.com/products/search
    Cheers Wally
    Available super markets I know Coles IGA has them...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Get out and enjoy life. All the best with your goal Jim

7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Already reached my first goal for 2018, I woke up this morning. Cheers, creekboy.

8. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Bender Jim. That's a load to carry before you even pick up your fishing gear. You top me by around 100kg. I don't think it should be an ambition to lose a bit. I'd see it as a necessity, and trust your plan works, whatever it is. I doubt diet is the only factor though. Some of us who eat a lot and consume copious quantities of good reds, (and white if stocks of red run low, which I normally don't permit) have no inclination of surplus weight. Others I know who eat and drink less than me, outweigh me by miles. Some are just lucky I guess.

Since having these cardiac issues, I certainly can't say exercise is the secret, as only slight activities leave me gasping for breath. But there's some good in it: I was banned from washing cars and mowing lawns on the very first day, and I stick religiously to those two rules (but choose to ignore some others).

I hope all goes well Jim and you drop a load of weight as soon as you can manage it.

We need you around.

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    My principal goal for 2018: Try to reach the end of that year, but detailed long range planning is a bit hard.

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We call them New Year resolutions. Perhaps we should say 'REVOLUTIONS' as we keep many of them going around.

12. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I still have basic cooked meals at home or bread rolls, Salada biscuits for lunch at work. I do not substitute meals with takeaway. The problem is what I eat after the meals...biscuits, chocolate etc.

Diet is certainly my problem...and what state of mind I'm in! Moderation is the key as far as I'm concerned. On my days off from work I like to go down to a local cafe. Am likely to have an egg and bacon roll today but I know at the end of the week as long as I don't eat too much crap I will weigh less. Later on if the weight loss stops whilst I am still putting in a good effort then I fine tune things and remove a bit more crap.
    Cheers
    Jim

13. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Good luck Jim with your goals for the year!...
    Mine are pretty simple...

1. Work less...
    2. Fish more...
    3. Get back to karate/gym and lose a few kg's... the gut is getting bigger due to too much food, so I need to shed around 5kg to get back to healthy weight

On the fishy front well I have waited for 3years and another aint going to hurt me

1. First bream on lure
    2. First ever Bass
    3. Catch a big Jewie from the suds

Good luck everyone!

Tight lines
    Anthony
    :D

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hey Jim nothing wrong with bacon and eggs, starting your day with them is meant to help lose weight. Anyway I have it because we get six eggs a day for two of us and because the chooks haven't got anything else better to do all day but lay an egg and they mount up. (They are free range)
    wally

AJ Fishman, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I heard something about that just recently, Wally. Supposedly, if you eat a high protein breakfast then you are unlikely to munch out on anything before lunch. I usually have a couple of eggs with bacon or snags, but if I'm too busy (read lazy, same thing) to cook myself a hearty breakfast, I will have a bowl of muesli and then I'm looking for something to eat around mid morning.

16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Don't you just hate it when you're getting all geared up to head south in an attempt to score that elusive trout that has been on your target list for many years and a mate in Darwin phones you and says "I'm heading to the Limmen River late April - be there".

A man cannot say no to such a directive and the truth of the matter is, given the choice between maybe catching my first trout and the sure thing of going head to head with some metre plus saltwater barra, the trout goes onto the list for 2019 (maybe). Perhaps I am just not meant to catch a trout.

For those who don't know where the Limmen River is, it is between Borroloola and Roper Bar on the western side of the Gulf and rates up there with the Kimberleys and Arnhem Land as one of the premier barra spots in the country.

17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    A good choice Jeff, except that in our world there is no MAYBE. Maybe next time"

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Maybe you're right, Noel.

The trip to the Limmen will be the highlight of my fishing this year and I look forward to it with much anticipation. I will drive through to Darwin and catch up with my mate there, a few days fishing at Shady, stock up on more lures at Reidy's and then back down to Mataranka for the run east to Roper Bar.

Some of this area you went through on your Top End trip last year and ever since you posted about your visit to Reidy's, I figured that I would have to check out the factory next time I'm up that way. I've been using Reidy's lures for yonks and even though I lived in Darwin for 5 years, I never bothered to visit the factory, only ever popped in the door to buy a lure or two. My mate lives just around the corner from them, in Humpty Doo.

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I've been to Reidy's three times. Last time I met Colin, either owner or manager. Chris Reid hasn't been there for years now. Colin gave me a couple of smaller hard bodies (B52s), one made for the local market; the other for international sales. That one has a heavier bib rather than the straight flat bib on the one for here, but you can buy both. He asked me to test them on flatties here, which I've not done yet. Would love to send him a pic of a decent flattie caught on one of them.

It's quite amazing how much hand applied work is done on each, and explains quickly why lures don't come cheap. I think tours (free) are available for an hour at 11.00am on Mondays. Yes, it's not far from there to Humpty, where we've enjoyed a lunch or two, as well as a few cold beers. Have also had some good fish from the barrage at Shady during our three visits out there.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The B52 is a proven fish magnet up here in the north, Noel, along with Classic 120 and the good old Gold Bomber 15A. I'm keen to try Reidy's Big Lucifer 85mm, tried to get a couple here in central Qld, but no go with my favourite barra colour - gold/black.

I will be at Humpty Doo for a couple of weeks before we head to the Limmen River and being so close to Reidy's, I will certainly be able to get what I want. You can never have too many barra lures - my wife does not subscribe to that theory, but what she doesn't know...............

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.