1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

2018 goals!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I mentioned on another thread that I have given up. When fishing last time, I was looking at the 60 cm ruler that is on my net handle. Realising that another 40 cm's was required, I knew it was not likely to happen. I have no doubt that there will be an odd metre carp out there but they are just too smart I think. One would have to use very light line to fool it and therefore one would have no hope on hanging on! A metre cod is a different thing, finesse fishing is not required so you have more hope of stopping the fish.
    cheers
    Jim

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Here is something to ponder. How about scratch of the letters cm and replace with in, that alters the odds a bit. PS, don't tell anyone else about this post, its not like cheating is it? Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Good one Lyall

creekboy likes this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Prowling around Instagram the other day; I found a gem for you guys who are a little overweight.

Written by a chef....

Being over weight makes kidnapping more difficult.
    Eat more and stay safe,

What think you???

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have a new goal for 2018.

I'll try and help Kev get past his recent medical problem because:

HE IS 70 TODAY!!!!

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Old Mate

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    "HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY", KEV. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Lyall

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    So, here we are, the year is almost over and I still haven't achieved the goal I set over the past few years - catch a bloody trout. Maybe next year it will happen on a trip I have to do down south in October.

Jeff

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Who else, other than Jeff and me, hasn't made the grade with their 2018 goals?
    Mine was simple: to hit the water more than before and get back to knowing, almost to the metre, where I was going to catch a decent flathead. True, I once could almost back it in. Actually I've never fished less than this year about which I could do nothing. I've transferred the goal to 2019. Only have to get approval from the Boss to get out there. Perhaps going without approval may be more probable. N

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    ME

diesel, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi jeff, if u are going any where near the snowy mountains nsw I nearly guarantee u will catch a trout at eucenbene mate, I will even meet u there and help.
    cheers blair

13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would noel, just surprise the boss whith a heap of fish to clean ,scale and fillet when u get back:). I went out the other day on dusk at high tide to fish a fishy looking boat ramp whith a deep section at end of concrete whith a big gap under it , I often wonder what lives under there probably some big muddies. Cast out 125mm prawn and let it sink a bit then flicked/lifted it back towards shore, bang, a good hit and hookup off a obviously hefty fish wasn't sure what though, pulled hard then the dirty bugger reefed me under end of ramp, I was thinking not a flattie nor big bream or jewie what is it?
    So I walked out to end of wharf waited for 2 minutes then pulled hard, success,fight was back on still puzzled what it was walked back to ramp and slid it up, an estuary cod 2nd I have caught in my life. took pic whith moto g5 plus but cant upload file. Saves putting in a boat to go for a quick fish am going to hit more ramps.
    My goal for 2018 was to work less and play more which I am glad to say have done, hopefully work even less and play more in 2019:D
    tight lines

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    My guess would have been one of those. They're quick to get you under a rock or something. Lucky the line didn't cut on the concrete. We caught lots in the river at Karumba. The big ramp there was built to bring wartime Catalinas ashore so it's really wide. It was also built of crushed coral so it's deadly on lines. A dead cod floated past one day. Hell it stank. Must have been four foot long and a metre and a half around it.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, I'd love to think of being there, with blair, to try and help you get that elusive salmonoid.
    (However, if you were thinking of a rainbow, they are now recognised as a member of the perch family. I hope I've remembered that correctly. Correct me if wrong. Their scientific name used to be Salmo Gairdneri, but are now called Oncorhynchus mykiss. Browns are still known as Salmo Trutta).
    I don't attempt to speak of metre long fish, I've never caught one over 80
    but on the normally used gear, a decent trout is faster and smarter in water than all the barra I've ever caught. That's not thousands but it's a reasonable number for a southerner.
    Who knows of the future but I also have accommodation at Eucumbene. Noel.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    It did damage the the 20lb flouro a bit I backed off on the pressure when I felt contact, luckily I have learnt something from a lot of fishing , I would have cast from the wharf but didn't want to spook anything by walking past the ramp on the wharf I am going to cast from wharfs if possible in future.
    I released it, any one know if they are good eating?
    Jeff if possible try for end of December for trout at eucy I am sure Noel will confirm that is a a good time of year for trout, may is also good for pre spawn run big browns , new moon period , or when rain approaching , and after about 40mm of rain for a run of fish up the river. I think from xmas till end of may is best trout time.
    The only barra I have caught was about 20cm on a live bait so I need to catch a real one and : mangrove jack,fingermark,spanish mack, black jew a yellowfin and bluefin tuna is on the list too but if I have a go I should be able to get the tunas near home.
    cheers

17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Actually blair, I had an idea they are fully protected. Not guaranteed. Others might correct me.
    For daytime fly fishing I rate October-December best if water is rising. Otherwise you're pretty right. Regardless of methods or hours of the day; your stated times are OK by me. Noel.

18. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Protected in NSW. Beautifull eating. Howard.

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Lucky I had some flaty fillets in freezer bluefin or the e cod would have come home. Sounds good noel I try and avoid going up if it is windy as well but the place is beautiful when wheather is good.
    cheers

20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Blair & Noel, thanks for the offer of help and tips to catch that elusive trout. Hopefully, I will be meeting up with an old mate from Inverell who is a mad keen trout fisherman in the New England area and with a bit of luck he will guide me into one of his secret rainbow spots. Failing that, I will have another try at Wang Dam near Lithgow where I hooked a big brown back in 2016, but failed to land it. I had it right up to the side of the kayak and lost it whilst fumbling with the landing net.

Mate, by the end of December I will be somewhere down on either the Yorke or Eyre Peninsulas in SA, gorging myself on king george whiting, tommy ruff, blue swimmer crabs and southern calamari - yeah, I know what you're thinking, it is a tough life, but some of us are prepared to suffer.

Jeff

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.