1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

2019/20 Nsw trout season

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Hi guys, looking forward to the trout opening tomorrow, but in reality what it means is i can legally target carp in trout waters.
    Sadly trout are pretty thin on the ground up here now in rivers. Although the Fish and duck, still hold a few.
    Any one else going out and targeting trout tomorrow? 30 years ago i would be that excited i found it hard to sleep the night before, but every small creek and river had trout. And we enjoyed superb nymphing to bows to 3lb in the beautiful Turon river. I remember once taking five bows out of one single run.
    So now the few remaining trout will face huge pressure, we are a little to close to Sydney.
    Let us know your plans.
    Tight lines guys and good luck.
    Pete

kev209, Old fisho and Rod Bender like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Still looking for a stream around here without salt Pete.

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    There use to be bass further up in the Tuross, I know because years ago i lent my mate 6 muddlers to try on the bass in that river. He lost the lot due to getting snapped on the strike lol. trout tippetts dont work on Bass.
    Tight lines Pete

kev209 likes this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    While up the river a few weeks ago, got talking with an old local. He mainly chases bass. He told us there are more bass in this system than bream. I've neither chased them or caught one by accident. Most seem to use 12-15lb leaders and just pull to get them clear of the snags. Not recommended with a fly rod.
    Noel

kev209 likes this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Trout season opened in Vic a few weeks ago. I went along for the opening trout festival at Eildon but that was it...didn't chase them. I hope to have a short session in the alpine streams before it gets too hot. Likely river will be the Rubicon.

On another note, trout (good size as well) have been turning up locally in small numbers. Enough incentive to fish for them with suitable gear, as in light line.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Will break the trout drought!

kev209, blair and Old fisho like this.
  6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel we catch loads of Bass in Lake St Clair on fly. But you need at least a good 6wt, and i use 12lb tippett, they are immensely strong for there size. Even on 12lb I have been broken with a fully loaded fly rod, and of course quite a few times on surface flies on the strike. Its like taking a hit from Mike Tyson, and I thought rainbows could hit hard.

cheers Pete

kev209 and blair like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have access to everything from #2 weights to #9s. Have to give it a try one day Pete. Are you broken off by the pull or the snags where they hang out?
    Even have some weed flies for pulling luderick from snags but that's another world to explore.
    Sorry, I'll learn to call them blackfish one day. B*******y Mexicans you say.
    Noel

kev209 likes this.
  8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel surprisingly lake Bass are often found in open water in schools , but they still love weed. We tie up large orange muddlers, the body is made of possum fur mainly, but what ever lake bass love them.
    The hit of a 40cm bass on a straight pull at close quarters needs to be experienced.Although we have also had them just tighten up, just like and old brownie, . We started off using 8lb maxima which is pretty tough tippet material, but where quickly running out of flies, so went up to 10lb max, but where still getting popped on the strike at least once a night, so finished up using 12lb.
    Rarely get popped on it, but i have been broken by a very strong bass trying to get back to his tree and that was in the daytime to.
    My tassie mate come up to try these big Island Bass, after telling him he would need strong tippet to with stand the strike he settled on 6lb. After all he had subdued plenty of tassie trout on 3lb. I tied to explain that his reflexs where no match for a bass . He took of in the opposite direction to me, about and hour later i see the torch coming back towards me. He had run out of all six flies i had given him, snapped on the strike every time. Could he please have some more. I said yes provided he put on stronger tippett so he reluctantly put on 8lb, he finally landed a few but still lost flies.
    Last trip up I noticed him using 10lb.
    Tight lines
    Pete

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Pete,
    In NZ I never used anything but Maxima 8lb leaders; straight, no tapers and about 9-10'. It kept going when other lines failed. It withstood abrasion on the rocks better than anything else I have used and there's plenty of rocks in the Tongariro.
    A flouro type orange muddler or a bit softer in colour?
    I should have plenty of possum fur. Young bloke is bringing some of my tying materials back from Eucumbene this weekend. Used lots of possum in tying the old favourite hair and copper nymphs for over there. No shortage of possums in NZ. They have destroyed entire forests and are detested by all. Think they originally came from Australia. Going to look further into bass just so I can say I caught one. Estuary perch are pretty good for a battle too. Have never chased them but have boated a couple by default when they grabbed a soft plastic. Still hoping to go out for a while Wednesday but the wind is now expected to be around 20kmh.
    There's a few places here where you can usually stop fighting the wind. The trick of course is being able to 'use' it to an advantage. I look for places where the wind and tide are going the same way, which adds much to casting distance. The longer a lure's in the water, the better chance you've got to hook up.
    Casting distance across the tide, and wind, which we often do when drifting along a drop off to a channel is also better than in still air.​
    Noel
    Looking forward to at least a couple of hours on the water.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    kev209, blair and Madfisher like this.
  10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel its a dull burnt orange, we have tried other colours in st Clair but that one seems to work. Any big bushy muddler will work on bass. Just tied a normal black muddler and and use possum for the body. Works well on trout to on rough nights.
    Pete

kev209 and blair like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Pete.
    I guess you still use the deer hair head and the orange for the body?
    Also assuming you refer to muddle minnow, rather than the 'hopper' version of which we use often.
    Noel

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  12. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    LOL, No Noel the deer hair is a dull burnt orange, and the black possum fur completes the fly. For Bass we normally tie it on long shank size 6 hooks. normally a tiemco 5263. But if you have some black deer hair try that, and put the ugly black possum fur on first of course. Our muddler minnows departed away from the orinigals over 40 years ago. The trout versions we wanted to look more like mudeyes, we use to use rabbit fur for the body on them. With these flies the uglier the better they seem to work. lol
    Pete