1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

4 WD Holden Astra.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Well not really but a resident of Melbourne has been locked up for so long and then on freedom decided to go to knockwood and ventured in the bush and mountain country before getting bogged in his Astra, good news he has been rescued but the problem is getting his car out. 2 hrs from Mansfield and approximately $4000 grand to get it out I think it might stay there.
    Wally

Madfisher and diesel like this.
  2. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    maybe he forgot that the old astra was not 4wd...

diesel likes this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It sort of makes you wonder about the mindset of some people when they venture into areas and situations that are guaranteed to end in failure and great expense.

Places like the Simpson Desert, the Canning Stock Route and the Gunbarrel Highway are well sign posted advising travellers to think twice before tackling the tracks with a camper trailer in tow, but they still do it and when things go pear shaped they have a dummy spit when they find out the recovery cost. It starts at around $9,000 to recover a trailer and even though most are just abandoned on the Gunbarrel and the Canning, that is not an option in the Simpson Desert - if it breaks, you must arrange to get it out or cop a massive penalty on top of the recovery charge and rightly so.

There aint a hell of a lot that can be done to remedy stupidity with some drivers.

Jeff

4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Surely he must have a mate with a 4wd and at least give him a tow to a spot he can drive it out, or prehaps he has had a major mechanical?
    Pete

diesel likes this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Probably not Pete, I was told that he rang the RACV first say no more, he was actually going gold prospecting.

diesel and Madfisher like this.
  6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Crazy, we took the wifes 4wd xtrail 4 wheeling to a fishing spot at Wyangala dam while I am waiting for a new intercooler for my paj. With the right line i was surprised how far it got, but the sump is very vulnerable, you can however lock the middle diff, something most light weight suvs dont do.
    It also has good AT tyres on the front.
    Pete

diesel likes this.
  7. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Taken the old Falcon to plenty of sketchy spots, clearance was always an issue ha

Master Baiter, diesel and Madfisher like this.
  8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Back in the 70s my 4wd was a hr holden with helper springs on the back to lift it a bit and wide rims to fit bigger rubber lol. With that torquey 186 and a 3.55 diff it was amazing where it would go. I did not know at the time that 14in rims off the later models fitted straight on lol.
    First real 4wd was a little lj80 suz, great times in that thing
    Pete

Master Baiter and diesel like this.
  9. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    mate if its a sedan its easy to get a bit higher springs for it to give more clearance. Lovells use to do a 1in higher then standard, then fit a bit higher and more aggressivie tyres and you are away.
    Pete