1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

40hp 4 Stroke Pricing

Discussion in 'Boats' started by User1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    As I'm keeping this boat for a few years I have decided to update the motor to a 40hp 4 Stroke. Just wondering what recommendations people have, and average pricing I can expect the upgrade to cost me?

Any advice guys?

2. Craig_B_

Craig_B_ Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Only one way to go I reckon, Yamaha.
    I have only ever had 4 strokes in Yamaha and can't fault them one bit.
    Never had an issue with my 40 or 60 and they start first time every time.
    Your 4m Hornet would just about fly with a 40 on the back, I had my 435 with 2 people and gear up to 46km from memory, your lighter 400 would be damm fast.
    Price I'm not sure from memory going back a while they where around $6999.00.

-Boobs
    Yamaha 40hp 4-Stroke F40BETL

[​IMG]

Key Features

[​IMG]Tiller handle and remote operation
    [​IMG]Wet-sump lubrication
    [​IMG]Electric startup
    [​IMG]Wide range power trim and tilt
    [​IMG]Rectifier regulator
    [​IMG]Overheat warning

Transom Height (mm/in): 533 (21.0)
    Weight (kg) with prop: 90.4
    Engine Type: Inline 3 Cylinder
    Displacement cm³: 747
    Bore x Stroke (mm): 65 x 75
    Output (kw/hp): 40 (29.4) @ 5500 rpm
    Max. Operating Range (rpm): 5000-6000
    Compression Ratio: 9.87
    Ignition: CDI microprocessor
    Gear Ratio: 2.0 (26/13)
    Fuel Management: 3 - Carb with Acceleration Pump
    Operation Method: Remote Control
    Lubrication: Wet Sump
    Tilt & Trim Method: Wide Range Power Tilt & Trim
    Prime Start™: Standard

Engine Stop Watch Lanyard: Yes
    Shallow Water Drive: Standard
    Alternator: 12V-15A (M:6A (85W))
    Rectifier Regulator: Standard
    2 Pin Connector: Not Installed
    Start in Gear Prevention: On Remote Control Box
    Overheat Warning: Standard
    Over Revolution Prevention: Standard
    Propeller: Standard
    Emergency Start Rope: Standard

3. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Just what I wanted Craig, thanks heaps dude.

The next question is, in terms of resale I realise it will be a bit of a loss. What do you think the resale of the a 400 HT with said motor would be worth to sell?

4. Vass

Vass Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Marc i was before i got the current boat i was looking at updatin the motor on the old beast.

I don’t remember the exact price but it was only a couple hundred buck extra to get the 50.

5. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    40hp is max on the 400HT I think?

6. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Correct stiggy.

It was suggested that if I am going to do the motor upgrade then to put a centre console in, but honestly, even with doing the work myself, I don't think the total cost of motor + console, mechanics, wiring and associated expenses would be a cost effective upgrade.

So for now, I'll just look at the motor. Ideally, it would be better justified if I could pick up suggested motor second hand but I don't like my chances of finding one to be honest?

Finally, does anyone recommend anyone here in Melbourne for sourcing the motor from that you have dealt with and had good service / pricing?

7. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    New DONK!!!!!

Marc,

Never owned a yammy but have a HONDA........something like this would look and go a treat on your new boat.....hmmmm!!!!!!

[​IMG]Honda’s completely-redesigned BF40 and BF50 EFI four-strokeoutboard engines have arrived!
    Retaining their class-leading lightweight and compact styling,the new engines are enhanced with electronic fuel injection,Honda’s revolutionary Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST™) air/fuel ratio and ignition-timing technology, and Lean Burn Control to deliver powerful start-up and acceleration together with outstanding fuel economy during cruising.
    BLASTâ„¢, along with a newly-designed, streamlined gear case and other improvements, contributes to greater acceleration and a higher top speed, while Lean Burn Control results in a 22% improvement in fuel economy over the previous models.
    Battery charging capacity has also been increased to 17amps – over 1.7 times that of the previous BF40 and BF50.
    The new models are compatible with Honda’s latest general purpose engine diagnostic system (Dr H) and also feature a new one-touch plastic cap, which permits easy inspection of anode wear inside the engine, for significantly improved ease of maintenance.
    Consistently leading the world in environmental performance, Honda has also managed to reduce noise levels by 1.0dB over previous models through such improvements as a longer exhaust pipe and an optimised rib design inside the upper portion of the extension case.
    Both models exhibit outstanding environmental performance and exceed: 2008 CARB emissions standards – the most stringent in the world; US EPA standards for 2006; and domestic Japanese voluntary regulations.
    As is the case with every other model in Honda’s outboard engine range, the new BF40 and BF50 also achieve the Outboard Engine Distributors Association’s (OEDA) three-star rating for ultra low emissions.
    Features

• Lightest and most compact outboard engine it its class!
    • Long branch plastic inlet manifold
    • Small electrical parts (O2 sensor, etc)
    • High output
    • Large bore throttle body
    • Adoption of BLASTâ„¢
    • Excellent fuel economy and ultra low emissions
    • PGM-FI and Lean Burn Control
    • Full complement of accessories
    • Long tiller handle with angle adjustment function
    • Four-bulb warning lamp (tiller model only)
    • Can be connected to Honda’s new diagnostic unit (Dr H)
    Specifications

CategoryOutboard RangeProduct NameBF40Type4-stroke SOHC 3-cylinders / 6-valvesDisplacement808ccFull Throttle RPM Range5,000-6,000 RPMRated Power40HP @ 5,500 RPMCooling SystemWater cooledInductionProgrammed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)Ignition SystemTransistorised battery ignitionStarting SystemElectricExhaustThrough propGear Ratio2.08:1Alternator (L-Type)22-Amp (17amp available for battery charging)Propeller3-blade aluminiumPower Trim & TiltAvailableGas-Assisted TiltAvailableEmergency Stop SwitchStandardOil Pressure AlertStandardTemperature AlertStandardRev-LimiterStandardSpeedometer PickupStandardTansom Height (mm) (L-Type)521Tansom Height (mm) (X-Type)662Dry Weights (kg)
    (L-Type)98Dry Weights (kg)
    (X-Type)102

8. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Wonder how much the Honda is in comparison. I have a soft spot for Honda.

9. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Hey Marc,

Where abouts is Sunbury? The reason being I have a mate who owns a charter business and he has a Honda 40 for sale with a tiller steer, it's a little over 12 months old (all fresh water use too) and he can't help himself... He wants the new fuel injected 40... It may be worth chatting to him if your close enought to Wagga, save a few $$ and get a virtually new motor