1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

50hp merc

Discussion in 'Boats' started by don benosse, Aug 23, 2009.

1. don benosse

don benosse New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    i have a 50 hp merc outbourd
    not sure what year model.
    it is a 4 cyl

my problem is that it starts and runs for a few minutes and than stops. it appears to have good fuel pressure spark and air availability.

can anyone suggest any other reson it may not run properly???
    thanks in advance

2. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Sounds to me like a fuel problem. Check that the choke is not stuck on and that the fuel filter is not blocked/restricted. The squeeze bulb may have enough pressure to force some fuel through but the motor may not be able to syphon it through by itself. I hope this is of some help. Cheers

3. corko111

corko111 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    do you have a working breather on the fuel tank. try running with the cap open to just make sure it can get fuel out of tank.

4. don benosse

don benosse New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    thanks. the squeeze bulb has pressure, i gave it a few squeezes and it burst into life for a minute and than stalled.
    where would i find the fuel filter?
    the choke is on about half way. i set it like that because without the choke on it doesnt start at all and with it on it splutters kicks but doesnt actually run

5. don benosse

don benosse New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    yeah it does it has a breather located on the tank feeding to the outside of the boat.
    i checked that first

6. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    fuel is the problem weather it is the pump or the filter is the next question
    filter first to look at most times under the cowling is an inline filter between the connection on the front and the pump/ carby so i would try that first then if that doesnt work try gravity feeding the fuel straight to the carby, if it then runs you know where to dig in next

7. Doodah

Doodah New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    If you gotta keep the choke on half way to get it going, its gotta be a fuel/carby problem. Pass the hat around, take it to an outboard mechanic and get them to put a carby kit thru it and tune it for you.