1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

55lb Bow Mount Electric Motors

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Adam Bosley, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I have been looking for a 55lb bow mount electric motor for my boat and its drive me mad!
    I have looked at the JW watersnake because they are well priced.
    But then there are the Minn Kotas and the Motorguides with all the options.

So I just want to know what other people have and do they use any of the options?
    eg: co-pilot, auto pilot.
    And what they like best about them or had any problems?

2. steve37

steve37 New Member

Jun 21, 2006
    the minn kota autopilot makes it easy to track straight or hold position without
    having to make constant directional adjustments,a little tap on the thrust pedal
    is all it takes (facing into the wind or current works a treat also)

3. Native_Caster

Native_Caster New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    I have a 55lb Minn Kota power Drive doesnt have auto pilot but i fish effectively without it. Mate has the auto pilot and wishes he brought the same as mine as he doesnt use the function and payed alot more for his. I use mine alot trolling mulwala and casting in the ovens and such and find it great.

cheers

Stephen

4. Bender

Bender New Member

May 6, 2007
    This is driving me mad :bang:

I got a good look at all 3 today at the boat show and I can't decide between the Minn Kota Riptide and the Motorguide.

The Motorguide was the only one set up so you could see it in action and I must say I was impressed. Show special of $1380, honoured until Tuesday, with a hand remote thrown in seems good value, but I had a couple of issues with the speed. It seems to start in the last speed you turned it off at and you have no way of knowing what that was. Might end up taking a dip if you turn it side on and hit the go button.

The Riptide has a much better foot pedal than the older model with a roller slide and it seems to work well. The best price offered was $1450 with a mounting plate thrown in. At least you can see what speed it is going to start at. I don't know if the upgrade to remote copilot is any better than the Motorguide though.

Like I said...This is driving me mad :bang:

Any thoughts...

5. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I got a price of the Motorguide in Wangaratta was $1380 aswell and the Riptide is $1295 at MO Tackle. There are 2 types of mounting plates you can get, one is about $90 and the other is $150.
    The motorguide comes with the remote and mounting plate!

Im getting the Powerdrive AP which is the same as the Riptide but only for freshwater for $1159

Hope this helps.

6. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    Hi Fellas
    I have the MK Bowmount Powerdrive (Fresh ) 40pd with NO Auto-Pilot, but i did buy the Co-Pilot remote control as an add on from the states.

I used to run it on my 12 foot flat bottom punt and got a good couple of days trolling from a 75 AH gel.

It has now been fitted to my 435 edgetracker and i was a bit concearned the 40pd would not be sufficient considering the bigger boat and all the weight but it still goes very well.

I used to curse that i didnt have the Auto-Pilot function when using it in the flatbottom as in any sort of wind id be blown around in circles but on the 435 i dont have this prob as much so it doesnt bother me.

With the wrist control on the Co-pilot im used to making tweaks here and there when in a bit of wind, you get used to it.

Cheers
    Jules

7. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    How long do you get trolling with the electric now with the bigger boat?

8. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    Adam

I spent about 5 hours yesterday trolling at about speed setting 3 and prob another 2 hours worth of moving about casting up to full speed. At the end of the day i still had 3/4 battery life in the 75AH according to the meter on the MinnKota. So id say ( due to the maximiser ) that there wont be too much difference and id still expect to get around 20 hours life out of my Gel. :)

Jules

9. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Thats great! I going to get the 55lb and already have a 100ah battery, so I should get a long days fishing from it. Thanks.

10. Bender

Bender New Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi Adam,

What did you think of the Motorguide and what swayed you to the Minn Kota?

Dave.

11. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    The Auto pilot did! I do alot of river fishing and the Auto pilot would do most of my steering for me. Giving me more time thinking about the fishing side of things.

12. Davo

Davo Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Just a quick question. How "auto" is the auto pilot. Does it just keep you in a straight line or can it navigate bends in a river?

Cheers
    Dave

13. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    The Auto pilot is very cool! It can navigate around bends in the river.
    It has a sensor on it that detects where the current is comming from and follows it.

14. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
  15. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    WAIT! STOP EVERYTHING! DO NOT PROGRESS ANY FURTHER! :bang: ;)

Yes! The Auto Pilot function is a fantastic option........BUT........it does not quite navigate around corners or obsticles with out human assistance.

The Auto Pilot function is an electrical compass and memorises the bearing you set and does its best to keep that bearing. Effectively, trying to keep your vessel heading on the bearing but does not allow for sideways drift or change course other than the direction set.

Once expeienced with how this works you will find how much it can assist with the ease of navigating your vessel while you are pre-occupied with casting or trolling. Its a set and forget, shorterm navigator which only requires and small part of your concentration while you have you fishing gear to contend with.

I know its a fantastic option but it certainly does not navigate on its own other than trying to keep a straight line.

Also, it should not be long before an affordable GPS auto pilot is available to marry the sounder and the trolling motor together. This technology is available for the sea going vessels but is not quite packaged to cater for our niche in the market but should not be long.

16. Adam Bosley

Adam Bosley New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Its good to know!
    My brother in law told me that it detects the current in the water and follows it. Looks like he doesn't use it as much as he says he does.
    I had a go of his on a lake to guide me in a straight line and worked very well but didn't get to try it in a river.

17. Davo

Davo Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Steady,
    Thanks for the heads up. I got that impression from link.

Cheers
    Dave

18. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    :thumbsup:

It's all good boyz! That's what this site is about........teaching one another. I'm a convert on teaching the old dog new tricks too. We are all learning and will contiue to learn until we leave this Earth.

And never be afraid to ask a stupid question as the answer just may be stupider! :eek:

Thanks guys.

19. Bender

Bender New Member

May 6, 2007
    Went and bought the Motorguide tonight after looking at a few differences. It will be good to give some feedback over the months on how it performs.

One thing that won it over the Minn Kota was the ease of stow/deployment, we had Sandra on the casting deck of a Hornet with one already fitted and she had it lifting up and down with total ease even the first time...she hated the Minn Kota.

She also found the foot pedal and hand remote easy to use and had it operating easily in no time.

Time will tell if the choice has been the right one.

Cheers, Dave.