1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Accidental fly captures

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Madfisher, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    My Golden perch thread has brought back some pleasant memories of mine and others accidental fly captures.
    Sally and I where down on the lower Turon below Hill End sight fishing with flies for carp and any stray trout. I had recently taken delivery of some damsel flies supplied by Trout flies com in Tassie. They looked great in the water except I thought they looked more like a large shrimp. I was having a ball on carp, but Sally was getting refusals on her offerings.
    Anyway I had landed a few carp, but Sally was struggling, and being short had trouble seeing the carp, so I tied on one of my new Damsel flies for her. She then cast to the deep water next to some large boulders, next minute she excitedly sings out she is on.
    The fight was a bit different for a carp, dogged diving back under deep cover, then we see green WOW. She had fluked a beautifull little murray cod of 48cm on a carp fly on a trout outfit.
    The next incident we where fishing out where the hills joined the plains. We had been invited out by the property owner to clear some carp out. The water was clear and the damm carp ultra spooky, we could not get close enough to them to even get a cast at them. Obviously the owners kids had been harassing them lol. Walking back upstream I spotted a large carp swim beside a log and disappear. Michael had the same damsel fly on that Sally had used and i said for him to put the fly out next to the log and let it sink, I had started walking again when he grunts and said the fly just got smashed as it was sinking, I walk back. Michael said wow this carp is determined to get back under the log, when again we see Green. He ended up landing this really plump fat 53cm Cod , again on a trout outfit(6wt)
    The last one that comes to mind I was fishing Wyangala For Golden Perch in early winter. Using a heavy old loomis 8wt and intermediate line and some large zonker flies. I am getting a bit bumble footed as i get older so on steeper banks I nose the boat into the bank and try and position it so i can fish at 45 degrees along the bank.
    I had been fishing a while and tried a few spots when I got absolutely smashed, then the whole flyline disappeared at a great rate of knots. First I thought massive carp, but it was going straight down, not like a carp at all. Could It be a big Cod, but it was very fast and strong. When all the flyline was out i finally stopped it, and started pumping it back. It turned out to be a superb Murray Cod of 85cm, and I think close on 30lb.
    It is something that will live on in my mind forever. I did get some pics.
    Tight lines guys
    t

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Among my most strange catches on fly was something different. Fishing amongst some grassy shallows at Eucumbene one afternoon, I thought I had a pull on the line. Struck and the line stayed where it was, assumed to be caught on the grass. Then it moved. I could not guess at what it was. It moved but I'd never felt a fish like it. It turned out to be a 4' black snake and the nymph hook was in its back a couple of feet from its head. You've heard the expression 'mad as a snake' perhaps. this one was totally angry-mad. Couldn't get close enough even to cut the leader as it chased us along the shore. I tried to break the tippet off but it kept coming toward us. We finally killed it with a piece of stick.
    It's not uncommon while fishing at Eucumbene at night, to have the silence broken by a cough right behind you. Frightens the bejeebers out of you the first times. It's kangaroos, surely one of the most silent animals on earth. I have hooked a couple on back casts but am yet to land one on my 5weight.
    Noel.
    frightened of nothing (except roos in the dark)

blair, Rod Bender, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    That snake encounter would have been interesting. It brings back memories of fishing the flats opposite Providence and fishing a small shallow bay, i seen a little movement between me and the glow from the now set sun. I covered it and thought I had disturbed the mother of all snakes and literally ran out of the water dragging the fly line behind me. My mate was killing himself when he had a look, it was the mother of all eels. Over 5 feet long and as thick as your thigh
    Funny how little things jog the memory from long ago.
    Pete.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Pete,There were always eels in the Eucumbene River but when the dams were built they lost their access to the sea. I've not seen one in the lake for perhaps 20 years. We used to see one occasionally.
    Noel

kev209 likes this.
  5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes you are right Noel, i think this would have been late 90s when Euc was last up on the Prov flats.
    pete

kev209 likes this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That was when the flats were some of the best fly waters in Australia
    It's also where we saw our last eel.
    Great memories Pete. Will we ever see it again?
    It might happen but I doubt I'll be there.
    Noel

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    yes great memories, there may still be eels in Euc as you only tend to see them when the water floods new ground. I seen one once in TCD, the mine boggles when you think of how many obstacles it got over to get in there..
    Cheers Pete

Old fisho and kev209 like this.