1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Anaconda Bendigo

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Chili, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Just a heads up for anyone in or near Bendigo. Went there today to get a warranty repair on my 4wd. Dropped into Anaconda and there was some top clearances. I got several packets of Berkley Gulps for just $1.60 each. There were still some good ones for just $5 left with an additional 30% off them so thats $3.50. So tempted to get a little 200 size Pflueger that is there down from $199 to just $60! Also there is a Daiwa spin reel cant recall its name but was $329 down to $150. Also Daiwa Aird X 2500 and 4000 sizes at half price $79, or was that $75!?
    Dont matter, cheap as either way. Got a couple of Shimano shirts for half price too. Well made, nice fit. All up, a good day.

diesel, blair, Dickson and 6 others like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I use 1-3kg rods with 1000 reels and see no need for anything bigger. I also nail some decent fish on that gear.

diesel, kev209 and Dickson like this.
  3. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yeah I believe you. It is amazing really the strength of line when pushed. You get little light weight guys fishing 50kg. Not talking strapped in chair, boat doing the work and the chair, but stand up. Seriously, try breaking just 15 kg over a rod tied to something! If they even locked down to just 15 it would pull most of them overboard. I've landed sharks up to a couple of hundred pound or more on just 15lb line. To break it if snagged, I need to do several wraps around a knife handle otherwise it'll just cut through my fingers. I use a 10lb braid at times with 8lb leader, even snagging that I need to do the knife handle wrap trick.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    How far is Bendigo from Shepparton?

CC
    Wondering how far RB will drive for a bargain

diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I too believe you Noel. Especially as you are a big fan of soft plastics and these plastics will attract big fish. This size combo is a choice I would make for trout and redfin. Problem is when targeting cod, the lure may be up to 60 grams or more. The smaller rod can not handle that. And if you get a cod on a light combo and suceed on getting the fish in, it will be at the point of exhaustion and may not release well. Vic fisheries actually recommend suitable size gear be used for cod.

The downside of the heavy gear...finesse fishing will always attract more attention from the fish (you no doubt know that as well). I used 4 pound mono once on trout (and will do it again) and I have out fished others. Noel, what are some of the better fish you have landed on the light gear?
    About an hour. I thought about checking out Anaconda in Shepp to see if they have similar but sanity prevailed. The only thing I need now is fishing line for the reels that need to be done.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Not far off spooling up the baitrunner D's...CC should be worried!

kev209 likes this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Good morning. I understand what you say about fishing cod. That's out of my world. We have none around here. When I fished mudeyes for trout at Eucumbene, I used to run 3lb mono. I have never lost a fish to a broken line without it having been damaged. Mainly I suggest because I always used and still do, rods soft enough to absorb shocks to the line. If you have any brains at all, it's hard to break any line through a matched rod.
    These days I use 99% plastics (but have chased whiting through winter). As said I use 1-3kg rods. Two are 6'6", the other 7'. It has a 1500 reel to better balance it all. Balance and ease of use are critical things when casting all day. The three all have different actions for different lure weights. They are spooled with the dark grey (smoke?) Fireline braid, rated at 4lb with 6lb fluorocarbon leaders, starting at around 2 1/2-3m long. I have just changed the braids after around eight years of hard work and they were still doing their job. For whiting I went down to 3lb leaders of around 1.5m.
    As for good fish on 4lb with 6lb leaders, a few come to mind. My best flathead was 107cm with three others between 90 and 95. Add quite a few 80s and lots over 70. Occasionally some decent salmon come into the estuary. My best (released) was around eight pounds we thought but 3-4lb is normal. It took a while to boat it. The best trevally I've had here was only about 4lb but they've got some go in them. Last year I took a 22 1/2 jewie on a SP and that was on the same 4lb braid. All my best flatties have taken little 65mm plastics.
    You must understand that our water is mainly free from obstructions when fishing for flatties so you can let a fish run if it wants to. A couple of times I've been beaten when fishing close to shore and big flatties have gone into trees under water. The jewie at times was at least 150m away and too fast to catch with the electric motor for a while.
    We've had rays to about 2 feet wide on SPs too but have never had one hooked in the mouth. I suggest they see the lure drop and investigate. They hit the line with their nose and the hook comes up and gets them right in the nose tip. Haven't hooked one them for two years now. Don't miss them.
    Used to quite often use 2lb tippets on a fly line when palaroiding trout, particularly with a dry fly. My best marlin was only about 300 but it was on 30lb gear.
    Noel
    'There's only a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore, holding a rod and looking silly.'

blair, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  7. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yep, a lot of fush dont release well after sustained, prolonged fights on light gear.
    Many will swim away but eventually die. They use up to much of their reserves and cannot recover. I read a few good articles on it a couple of years ago.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Definatly hook more fish on 4lb fluorocarbon but have had many break offs, was using light or no drag etc some trout have broke me off from the drag from the flyline. Mono would fare better being more stretchy I think.

kev209 likes this.
  9. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yep, I use these days Berkley Trilene XL Smooth clear as leader. Actually did some tests on some today. The 6 lb consistently broke at just on 6, the 8lb broke at 9.5.

blair and kev209 like this.