1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Beautifull day culling ferals.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yesterday dawned clear and bright with a forcast in the low 20c. So headed out to a mates private property on the Macquarie river about 20ks below Bathurst. This stretch of the river while a bit silted has some beautifull runs and some nice pools. Former very large pools are sadly pretty silted up with sand, but still hold lots of carp. Thrirty years ago this stretch was full of trout, and a hundred years ago Macquarie perch and Trout cod. Its sad what we have done to our rivers in a mere 200 years.
    Parked near the gate below the shed and walked over to the river, and started scanning the rocky runs. Carp in fast water are very challenging as they have poor eyesight and simply do not see it unless its under there nose, but not impossible.
    Spot one and cast three feet upstream of it , and as the fly comes past it rolls on one side, i lift and come up tight. Good fish in fast water mid 60s and 8lb. Certainly puts a bend in the stalked aire trying to keep it out of willows.
    Lots of carp where in very shallow runs with there dorsal fin out of the water, I continued picking up fish in every new spot i tried , even though i had removed 23 in two previous trips.
    Eventually get down to what would have been once a huge hole now heavily silted with sand. A very large carp was mudding right out 2/3 of the way across the hole. It would take a 20m plus cast to put it in front of her, and at the distance its hard to tell if she has picked the fly up. Cast was pretty good a couple metres upstream and past her. retrieve the fly past her and she starts to follow it like a dog following a feed. I am now stripping line and she is still coming, then she turns off, i go to pick the fly up to recast it and come up tight, she must have had it for a while and held on to it. Good fish 10lb and 69cm, almost to the backing twice.
    Anyway walked down further then i have been before, and took me two and a half hours to walk back, catching two more .
    Finished up with 15 for the day, making 38 removed in the last 3 trips, slowly getting fitter, no easy feat at 67 , and 10kg over weight.
    I have got a few por quality pics taken with my phone, if cornacarpio would be good enough to upload them for me.
    Tight lines Pete

2. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    You're still the Carp King Pete, well done Mate. I've organised Golden Perch for my farm dam so now I just have to wait for their delivery sometime in December.

Chook

3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    You will have fun with your goldens mate, till they get to smart to be caught lol. They live for over 20 years normally, where as Rainbows 3 years is about max. Try and catch some shrimp to put in the dam, and plant some trees to give shade on the north west side.
    Lol, my young bloke is very competivie with me on the carp. He walked miles into a remote wild area yesterday as well on the same river and only got 5, but he did have and apprentice with him.
    Cheers Pete

4. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    A pictorial presentation of Pete's piscatorial picnic:

74842689_774240836340361_6151564461288194048_n.jpg

73685236_790229788098318_6588182577377443840_n.jpg

72604943_930302284008812_5706642429659054080_n.jpg

5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thank you very much Corna carpio.

Old fisho, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.