1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs Strathbogie!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Sep 22, 2016.

1. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It's ok Lyall, they will outrun Jim,;) cheers davo

Rod Bender, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    good pics rod bender, glad u didn't stand under that koala for too long, the silly buggers sit on tiny little twigs and sooner or later it will have to go....

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I revisited the creek yesterday afternoon. There was a good flow as there had been rain a couple days prior but the water was a bit murky. Worms which I had was the obvious choice to try. It didn't take long before the bites started. But I wasn't having any luck in hooking up.

Come coffee time my luck changed...sort of! I realised I had no cup first but that was no issue. I was doing a 'Macgyver' with a flavoured milk containor converting it into a cup when I realised I had greater issues....no coffee! As the enormity of the problem sunk in, my rod bent over.

This 'bend' produced a redfin at just over 30 cm's. Just before l left I got another smaller model. Another guy turned up with his 2 young children. They tried a few different holes and the young boy who was not much older than 6 left with a reddie which was about 37 cm's!!

I will do a return trip there but if I want to get serious, I think I will ditch the circle hooks. I should also try lures but I know full well that I make these plans and they fall apart on the day.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Redfin whisperer!

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  4. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Good job

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I have never caught a fish on circle hooks, and only use the good old mustard type. Cheers, Lyall.

AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I am a mountan man and I like mountan women.

kev209, creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I haven't had much luck with them either Lyall. Old habits die hard, when I get a bite I try to strike instead of letting hook themselves

creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Rod Bender reporting live from 'Bogie'...for the first time since September last year. The creek was very low over the summer so it will be interesting how I go. One bite so far...am I on the cusp of breaking the fish drought?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Hopeful!

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    So, how did you finish up Jim? Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Norhing Lyall! I will do a report in a few days.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    So no luck with your last Scrubby Jim. It must have been pretty dark and freezing cold when you left last night.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    It was rather cool! I left with about half an hour of daylight to let me clear the roo 'danger zone'! It is still rather dry in the area and scrubbies were hard to come by! Water levels were fine. The few bites I did have were likely crayfish. I should have taken a net to try for them. I am not too keen on cooking them up myself but it would be interesting to see what appears! Snow was actually forecast for there today and the current temp is just over 4 degrees! I may have went and threw a line in if I wasn't working (apparently)! :cool: I will likely revisit the area in September when things warm up a bit...unless we get another snow forecast day on a weekday when I can go!
    Seven rod.JPG
    Weapon of choice was a seven foot Loomis rod and a cheaper model Shimano Baitrunner. Overkill no doubt but I am just happy to be using the new stuff. I like the baitrunner concept...unless one is fishing right up against snags.
    seven Creeks.JPG
    Until next time...
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Keepin' the donut dream alive!

AJ Fishman, blair, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  13. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    The water looks a touch higher than when I was last there, also looks like there has been a fair bit of traffic through that spot, well worn, cheers davo

kev209, creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I stopped on the way back from Eildon and fished for about 3/4's of an hour with no luck. Bait was a yabbie. No bites that I saw. The weather was rather miserable!
    creek.JPG
    Despite recent poor results at this location I will persevere but on saying that, I will wait a few weeks for the weather to warm up. If I have a couple more failed attempts over the next month when conditions are better, I will give this place a rest for a while.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Won't give up without a fight!

Chili, DeeBeeKay, blair and 4 others like this.
  15. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I could fall asleep in the grass at a spot like that with a bell on my rod to wake me up. Some scrubbies on the hook and my phone turned off.
    Magic!

16. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The way things have been of late...you won't get woken up! :cool: I will give the place a couple more goes prior to summer but it isn't looking to good. On saying that, this is a place I would always keep visiting at times as it is rather pleasant there.
    cheers
    Team bogie