1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Love Mildura Jim. Good luck on the trip. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Have a good one RB:cool:lots of good fishing spots up around them part's.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So...the irrigation season has finished. The channels are off. This season was rather disappointing. Local tackle stores have really promoted the fishing in the local channels and numbers fishing them have increased. Haven't helped it myself by putting the odd pic on Facebook but I never mention exact locations. I guess when you say 'got this cod in the channels', people are going to go and fish the channels anywhere! One moron who writes for a magazine stated that in winter the channels drop and the water pools up...and so do the fish. He stated that you could have a field day or similar wording if you fish them during the winter! Half of my problem too was just not getting out enough.

My planned weekend trip to Mildura fell through as I was too far behind at work. My semi-retirement from fishing continues as it is now about 3 weeks of not having a license. Thought about renewing it a few times but currently am working with a different section and very limited time to get out and about. Likely will be back in action by June!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Unlicensed to kill!

AWL, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So...the irrigation season starts mid-August! Mind you, it is likely not many farmers will want to water then but GMW will have the channels filled to capacity by then. So it has started! Took this pic last Sunday.
    channel flow.jpg
    Due to the low water levels over winter fisheries and some other organisations went through and electro-fished the majority of this channel downstream from here. All native fish they caught, including cod up to 90 cm's were relocated, so it will take some time for the fishing to recover. I am sure it will recover and removing the fish was certainly a better option than running the risk of losing the fish in low water.
    cheers
    Team Bender

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Rod Bender reporting live from the channels! It is cold and windy! Was going to go fishing yesterday after work but decided to work into the night. So this is it! Water clarity is reasonable...flow is reasonable...I left a few required items at home in my tackle bag but I can get by. Scrub worms for bait...any minute now!
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Givem hell Jim

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and Rod Bender like this.
  7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Go at em hard bender,drag out some lures and start flinging them around all over the place.The cod seasons nearly over and i love the pic's of your lures(and expensive braid) entangled in critical gm-w infrastructure.:cool:
    Bad luck about leaving stuff;) at home mate,but i think the riv will still deliver out there won't they:) (tap n go not available)

8. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Stay until just after dark Jim and you should get on them. Don't worry about a feed your sister should come good with a pizza,:) cheers davo

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Was going to...but as I sat up from my chair and then lost the protection my car offered from the wind...yeah...nah!

Was going to stay till after dark but that decision was contrived earlier in the day in the confines of my house! Things have changed!:) But on another note...you did give me an idea as to where I am having tea tonight!

On the fishing scene here...some bites, one very decent and am now going to settle in for some serious fishing prior to nightfall..if I can just put this fkn iPad down!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Telstra

AWL, kev209, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  10. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Good luck , Jim. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Turned out to be a fishless trip. But enough bites in poor conditions to keep me interested in returning. Next opportunity I have to go fishing is Tuesday...when I last looked at MetEye, the forecast maximum temp for Strathbogie wax 7! Here I come!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    No critical GMW infrastructure was harmed during this session!

creekboy, AWL and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Better luck next time Jim. At least you wet a line

creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    With plenty of scrubbies left I decided to try one of the local channels. Water flow wasn't too bad and clarity was reasonable. So set up base camp and get the rod in. Hoping for a carp for the comp or a very slight chance of a yella.
    channel.JPG
    As per usual my fishing sessions start off with a flavored milk and take a pic of wherever I am fishing and post it on Facebook! The milk doesn't help the waistline but I am drinking less of the crap so I am happy with the way I am going. The use of Facebook whilst fishing no doubt has cost me some fish at times but at this point I don't care!

Overall it was a slow session...just two lots of bites that I witnessed. Cold and windy early on so nothing fantastic...still promising to get a couple bites. Full moon as well but no werewolf or vampire activity was noticed. I may have seen to many movies but I have noticed there are some hot vampire chicks out there so this is another female avenue I am pursuing!
    moon.JPG
    Around 815 pm I found myself taking thermal images of my rod tip and bells/glow stick!
    flir.jpg
    At this point I realised that perhaps I was bored and it was time to go home!:cool: One worm got me through the session!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs night vision glasses rather than polarized!

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Keep trying, Jim. Sooner or later a fish has to make a mistake. Cheers, creekboy.

15. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Just had a thought, maybe you could try soaking some scrubbies in Big m, it may take their fancy too? Cheers, creekboy.

16. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Stick with it bender,the fishing should get better once it warms up a bit.

17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Wouldn't waste it!:)

Doesn't phase me at all WAL!:) Despite the cold, Strathbogie has produced some sort of action...just need to go on a day when there is no blizzard! Next weeks trip will either be a trip to Bogie or a trip to the Nine Mile to end the carp comp. But you are right...things will improve and I intend doing a day trip to Bonnie Doon in a couple weeks time and Lake Kerferd near Beechworth. These two long distance trips I am waiting for warmer weather to enhance my chances.
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy, AWL and kev209 like this.
  18. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Another month or so and i might think of bringing myself and me boat out of hibernation.
    Till then i'm sleeping in on days off:cool:

19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I spent a couple hours out at the channel last night. I am still finishing off my collection of scrubbies! When I arrived, it was evident that the irrigation season is in full swing!
    regulator.jpg
    The only action for the evening was a few bites. I will likely give the channels a break for a week or so and concentrate on finishing off the carp comp!:cool: I also want to do another couple trips to Strathbogie before the weather gets too hot.
    cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, Hen and Chook and kev209 like this.
  20. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Bit of water coming through there for sure.Wait till it all warms up a bit (water & weather)need the yabbys to get going.