1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I went out for a session last Friday with no luck! I chucked this lure around for a short period before dark but did not even get a hit.
    Lure 60.jpg
    The plan was to pick up a yella on lure and by then I would have bait in my trap...the plan didn't work! I struggled getting yabbies or shrimp and spent some time fishing after dark with no success.

But there is always the next day! Saturday also had some similarities! The fishing was slow but I did have some yabbies with me although I caught none on the day. And eventually this came along!
    Yella 50.jpg
    It was to be my only fish for the day! At this point I was leading 'Dangerous Dave from Nagas' but after a location switch, Dave come from behind and overtook me quite convincingly!
    cheers
    Team Yella Terror!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    diesel, AJ Fishman, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Success at last. Well done Jim. Cheers, Lyall.

3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I was planning a trip to Strathbogie for a redfin hunt but after wasting much of the morning, I decided a channel session would suffice. My attempts at yabbie and shrimp collecting failed dismally so it was down to the worms I had purchased. I hate buying bait! I wasn't there too long when this yella, approximately 35cms, came along.
    yella 60.jpg
    There was a fair wait before this cod which was around the 45cm mark made an appearance!
    cod 60.jpg
    This turned out to be the last fish for the day...all up, I spent about 6 hours there. As the sunset, I pondered my next moves in fishing world including the big question...where in the f%^& are the yabbies and shrimp! Talking to a guy today he said it has just been to cold for them, especially at night. Time will tell.
    sunset 60.jpg
    cheers
    Team Native
    Mortified about the current yabbie shortage!

diesel, blair, AJ Fishman and 3 others like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    On Saturday I spent about 7 hours on a channel for no fish! The target species was yellas and the main method was bait fishing with yabbies and the occasional lure flick. As far as I know, I did not not get a bite but the wind made it very difficult. This time I was prepared and had enough bait but still put a bait trap in. This failed to produce a yabby or shrimp.

Dangerous Dave managed a small redfin in the channel and a 'two minute' carp in a creek which runs alongside the channel. Access on the creek was too difficult for me, not to mention the snake hazard, otherwise i would have happily slaughtered carp there.

Yabby captures in my traps in my usual channel also dwindled this week despite rising temperatures. The lack of bait has suprised me this year and I don't know what the reason is. The location I fished yesterday is a heavily fished spot but despite this it has produced a yella for me on the previous 2 visits and I was confident of doing ok despite the wind. I have also seen good reports of great yellas being caught locally.

At the end of the day I was left a bit baffled. I can handle a fishless day...but just can't fathom what the f%^k is going on here! So what do I do? I am already planning my next trip to a different location in better conditions and the bait traps are going back in to the usual spot.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Planning a revolution!

diesel, AJ Fishman, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Two nocturnal sessions over the last couple evenings have provided nothing. On both occasions my mate caught a small cod but I got nuthin’! Although I did try out something I have been meaning to do for a while. I put a torch alongside the bank roughly where my bait was. The idea being to attract insects that would then fall into the water then attracting small fish...and then bigger fish. It didn’t work on the night. It attracted moths but the only predators it attracted were bats!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Back to the drawing board!

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    bat might be a good cod bait! I have a big black savage gear bat lure that flaps along the surface, nothings hit it yet though.
    water temp may be a bit low for yabbies, don't know what temp gets them moving.
    cheers

7. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I have seen fish attracted to the torch light before once in a mostly tried up creek with a couple holes here and there and another time in a dam I think the fish where really hungry when you dropped a line in there they would just smash it

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I spent about 2 hours on a channel yesterday with no result. It was very windy and the irrigation channels with their banks provide no cover from the wind. One small yabby was all that was used and he was released after the session.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    The pressure is on!

9. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Just keep trying Jim, sooner or later some smart ass fish will make a mistake. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Four hours spent channel side in northern Vic yesterday for....nothing! Not even a bite as far as I know. The biggest surprise was my bait trap did not provide a single yabbie or shrimp! Yep...late summer in a channel system which normally coughs up sh!tloads of bait could not provide for me. The fishless trip I can handle as it happens but not being able to get bait has me baffled! I used cheese for bait in the end. Never mind as I am planning my next trip mid week and the 'donut' run will end!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Has no idea what is happening in crustacean world!

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Better luck mid week ,Jim. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Stick in there Jim

creekboy, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  13. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Funny, I had the same experience,:rolleyes: cheers davo

14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Went out last night for a yabbie hunt chasing bait for next weeks Pirtek event. Didn't get one yabbie. My mate fished for a bit without luck. Much star gazing was done so it was not a bad night.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  15. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Sure beats the crap on TV. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.