1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the channels!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    My fav channel ceased to flow over a week ago...flatlined I guess you could say.
    main flow.PNG
    The irrigation season starts again on August 16th. Until then I pass my time in the Nine Mile Creek as well as the Goulburn River which has now settled down. Seven Creeks as well as Spring Creek near Strathbogie and Hughes Creek near Avenel may also be likely targets.
    cheers
    Team Bender

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    You had me worried there Jim, I thought it was your latest test result. Cheers, Lyall.

3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Most people on Facebook will have seen the results of the electro-fishing so far (Victorian fisheries removing native fish from drained irrigation channels around Shepparton). Whilst I am not on facebook, I can still see posts and some impressive fish have been removed. I am not sure which day this fish come out but I know last Friday 4 x 1metre cod were removed and placed into the Goulburn...about 20 metres upstream of where I fish it! There doesn't seem to be that many blackfish this year.
    channel cod.jpg
    After hearing from my southern channel correspondent that channel levels there were lower than expected, I went out on an unarmed recon. A rather dismall site at one of my more popular haunts although there is still a reasonable amount of water downstream.
    reg 45.jpg
    The lower levels upstream can be explained by this channel being on...if only to drain the 'main' channel.
    flow 45.jpg
    I find it amusing that so many anglers drive over these channels with NFI what is in them...as they head for the Goulburn's cod! Anyway, most of the channel cod are gone now and VFA and GMW as well as volunteers have done a great job.
    cheers
    Team Bender

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Excellent stuff.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    And they are on! The channels have started filling for this coming irrigation season. This channel flows east of the Goulburn River. It was electro-fished over winter so I
    am not holding much hope for it early in the season.
    main.PNG
    This channel flows west of the Goulburn. This channel was not electro-fished this winter.
    SMC.PNG
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Thinks west is best!

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jim.
    I am totally ignorant about life in channels and fishing in same. You obviously know and understand them well. I have no idea why fish are in there as I see no scope for a food chain of any sort in such temporary water.
    Can you somehow help with my (and perhaps other's) education on this foreign subject.

Noel

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A lot of blokes up my way fish the irrigation channels supplying water to the cotton farms and occasionally there are reports of a big cod being caught. Even when the channels are drained, the main source of food for the big fish being yabbies have dug into the mud where they survive until the next flooding of the channel. I guess the fish just move with the flow following smaller species as well.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  9. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jeff. You nailed it pretty good. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    As the channels come from the Goulburn River, many fish find their way over the first regulator, or offtake as they call it and they head downstream. Reality is they are then trapped! But they make do. As mentioned, there is yabbies in the channel and shrimp as well as plenty of small fish to munch on! One big difference is there is little in the way of structure but they make do. Besides, they don't know this when they go over the top!

The problem is when the channel levels drop, the fish get trapped. Some channels still hold enough water for the fish to hang on whilst others don't. There would be many occasions that people have removed fish from a small pool on one side of a regulator and dropped them in the other side that holds more water....or move them to another system. Some won't make it and some will fall to anglers who target them when they are vulnerable.

In a nutshell, the fish end up in the channels by mistake and can't get out. The rivers here are well stocked and there are plenty of fish to go around. They may now be looking at putting some form of screening over the regulators to prevent the movement of fish.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Channelologist!

11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Good report very interesting

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the informative explanation Jim.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Another tiny hole in my knowledge plugged at least a little.

Thanks for all that info. I'm at least a tad wiser for it

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Ah, the gathering of wisdom never stops. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I went out yesterday for a very quick look at a spot that I fish the most. It has just started to flow here and the water is rather murky. I won't be fishing this channel much early in the season as many of the fish in there were removed.
    channel reg.JPG
    channel storm.JPG
    I don't think I will do any serious fishing in the channels until September anyway. They normally take a while to settle anyway.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Unarmed recon expert! (the weather yesterday was atrocious!)

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    As was the weather in Merimbula. Had a few casts and went back to apartment. Bloody freezing.

17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So yesterday I said I was going to wait until September to fish the channels as they take a while to settle. After watching this video taken over the weekend...I may reconsider! This is a different channel tho to the ones I normally fish.

cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    AJ Fishman, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Nice catch Jim but even better to see it swim away after release.

19. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey Jim,
    That video is Mad.
    Hope things are well,
    Just joined here.
    See how things go.
    Cheers
    Jed

20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Welcome to the site Jed! So...do you know exactly where this cod vid location was filmed at? Feel free to pm me!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender