1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender vs the creek!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Jan 28, 2017.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The fresh air would have been good for u anyway RB, I am going for a fish this arvo chasing jewies whith sp,s not expecting to catch anything but beats sitting at home watching rubbish on tv.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Intrepid reporter Rod Bender reporting live from the Broken Creek at Numurkah. Chasing the one metre carp that are known to be swimming in here...allegedly! So far things are rather slow. I will say I put the biggest yabby that I had out there. Not a monster yabby but as big a yabby that I would use for carp. I mean business!!!!

Weapon of choice is a Loomis spin rod (first time out) and for the first time ever I am using a baitrunner reel. One can never chuck enough money at metre carp.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Metre carp glory awaits!

3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not a cracker! One yabby made it through the day. Barometric pressure was high and dropping and the weather was overcast. The carp did not want to play!!!!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Sh!t happens!

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Do carp normally go off the bite in cold conditions or are they active feeders most of the time?

I've only ever caught them during the hotter months of late spring into summer. We don't get them up here in central Qld (yet), but plenty in the rivers further south towards the NSW border.

Jeff

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I get them all year round but they do 'slow' down over winter. Maybe 10 years ago I started bait fishing the shallows of Waranga Basin, after dark (in winter) in the hope of getting a trout. No trout were forthcoming but the local carp come to the party! One morning I can remember being out there on a bitterly cold morning after 2 am....and caught a couple. Sitting near a fire....happy to be there! I only went home cos I ran out of wood for the fire.

Things are very tough here at the moment. I am not sure if it is due to the drought. A local creek I fish normally reduces to a series of pools linked by shallow runs in the winter, unless we get constant rain. It runs hard in the warm months driven by irrigation flow. In the winter you normally have a large congregation of carp (and some natives) holed up in the pools and they are rather hungry! I haven't tried the creek yet but Murph has in a couple spots and hasn't done that well...not up to the usual 'slaughter ' standards anyway!

My plans are as follows, a trip to Strathbogie in the next week or 2 and a trip to the creek as well. It will have water in it in a couple weeks anyway.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Thinks Team Diesel doesn't catch carp in the winter cos he is too much of a pussy to head south for the winter!:eek:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha, methinks you are absolutely right. I live exactly 1.3 kms south of the Tropic of Capricorn and after my recent trip down to the Hunter Valley, I will never travel any further south than 100 kms from home between March and September, unless I have been advised that NSW and Vic pubs have legalised topless barmaids and free beer on days ending in the letter 'y' :D

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    And it's on!!!!! The irrigation flow has arrived and is now flowing into the creek!
    creek flow.PNG
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Preparing to launch assault on carp!

creekboy, kev209 and jedgpz like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Ron Bender reporting live from the creek. What was going to be the last cod assault has turned into a carp assault although at this point no fish have been assaulted! Just convenient to come here. I left the yabbies I had at home and am using corn.

Fishing a spot I refer to as 'Sunday School'! I had a phone call on the way regarding work. After the work talk we got onto more important stuff. The person told me there has been some yella action already further upstream.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Looking to catch his first fish since March!

9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    All I had to show after about 4 hours of fishing was one carp...a bit less than 40cm's!
    carp.JPG
    Still, it is the first fish I have caught since March! It is also the first fish I have caught on my Loomis rod...not much of a christening for it!:cool: And in another first, it is the first fish I have caught on a baitrunner reel! I don't mind the baitrunner concept and I think it will work well in open waters. I figured out a few things with the baitrunner. It is best to have the rod horizontal, otherwise there is still resistance through the guides when the fish bites. I hooked a second carp as well but dropped it when it got around some snags. Overall, two hook ups from two bites left me feeling confident in the baitrunners.

Water flow was good although as usual, water clarity is not that good in this creek.
    creek.JPG
    Barometric pressure was high (around 1023Hpa) and slowly dropping most of the time. Overall, not a bad day to be out there!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Has hopefully inspired Corn Chips to get out there!

creekboy, Chili, diesel and 2 others like this.
  10. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Mmm...almost.

I am free this weekend. And I notice it will be a relatively mild 18 degrees. So maybe - just maybe.

CC
    Am utterly embarrassed that RB has caught one more Carp than me!

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  11. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Hello fellow winter fisherman!

CC
    Not scared of the cold!

69629804_352153085664720_7969729812535181312_n.jpg

12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Rod Bender reporting live from carp central! After driving around for a while, some issues meant I am not fishing where I intended to go. Can this set of chance occurances inevitably lead me to catching a monster? Time will tell!

Barometric pressure is around 1014 and dropping ( that sux ) but it is rather warm here. Loomis rod and ST baitrunner ( I have to spool up the new ones ) was the choice of gear. Yabbies the bait....and the biggest yabbie in the bucket went out first! Go big or go home!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Carp glory awaits!

creekboy, kev209, DeeBeeKay and 2 others like this.
  13. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Carp in that area are allergic to yabbies, cheers davo

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  14. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    You don't have to tell him that DBK...

CC
    Doesn't appreciate members giving carp catching advice to RB!

15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    As previously stated, the biggest yabbie went out on the hook first...and waited...and waited! Whilst not at peak flow, the creek didn't look to bad...for carp anyway!
    creek daylight 50.JPG
    I ring up a few people to pass time (am still watching the rod) whilst the action is slow...still no bites. After a couple hours the mind is wandering and more and more time is spent looking at social media. This is fraught with danger as I can't watch the rod. And of course it cost me a fish! I look up, rod tip is bouncing...wullah...Mr Carp had taken the yabbie! Not concentrating, I lift the rod, forget to wind the baitrunner reel so it is still in 'freespool' mode and I miss the fish! One opportunity for the day and it was missed. The escapee was a reasonable size as well.
    So as the sunset I was left to ponder what may have been!
    sunset creek 50.jpg
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Still not overly concerned!

Dickson, kev209, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  16. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Love the pictures Jim

creekboy likes this.
  17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Roving reporter Rod Bender, reporting live for Bender News...rod is in! Be very fkn afraid CC!!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    About to write winning acceptance speech!

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  18. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    No fish. Not worried.

CC
    Can't be out-carped if the opposition can't catch

kev209, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Well, well, well! Pics will be posted Monday after work!:cool: What can I say...suffer in ya jocks until then!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Wonders if anyone will buy this bullsh!t bluff of mine!:(

kev209, creekboy and blair like this.
  20. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Pics of the sunset?

o_O

kev209, creekboy, blair and 1 other person like this.