1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Besides fishing.......

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Well, it finally happened. I went fishing. We are at Wallaga Lake Big4 caravan park, which for those far away, is close to Bermagui, a top game fishing spot on the NSW couth coast, and only about 50km from home at Tuross. Have been here several times but never fished, so knew nothing of the lake. It's not unlike Tuross Lake; much is around two metres deep, and a pretty place with trees etc right to the water's edge, most of that shoreline is quite steep and rocky. It's also very similar to Mallacoota in places, but not as deep. My mad mate Ziggy has fished it, but not for a few years. We have his boat here, which is a horrible boat. It's not really a boat; it's just a huge fishing platform, at which it excels. It's around 18' long and six wide, and square in shape, with a Yammie 85 on the back. The slightest chop sees you getting rather wet, but it's like having a dance floor to stand on.

We struggled to find a flathead during the morning, while small tailer make short work of a few plastics as only they can. It was hard going, but we kept hanging in there, throwing plastics with wild abandon, but little seemed to work. The water has reached 21celc, which should be good. Perhaps we were just out of practice. We certainly didn't know where to go.

The afternoon was a little better. I finally got a couple of throwbacks, but it was better than no result. Drifting was hard as the shallow draught boat can move too quickly in the wind, making it hard to stay in contact with the lures, which I consider critical. Had it been my boat I'd have dropped the pick over; fished that bit, then drifted a bit further. Zig is too impatient for that. He has to keep moving and there his fishing fails him sometimes. But; his boat; his rules.

Finished the day with nine. Six went back. A tad desperate; one at 39 and one at 41 were kept, but finished the day with a fat 64cm girl; a short thick fish in great condition. Normally I don't keep anything over 60, but did that one. In all the day didn't finish too badly. Bring on another day. We may be a bit wiser too. Old fisho.

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report there Noel. I just had a look at Wallaga Lake on Google Earth, it's a fair size bit of water - it looks like an ideal kayaking spot.

Jeff :cool:

kev209, Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes Jeff, it is, as is Tuross Lake. We saw three or four 'yak's ' out there yesterday. The pro's are still netting it (no longer in Tuross) which is not a plus, and at least two we saw, areas are marked off as sanctuaries, reducing the overall area a bit. But there's still a lot of water. Not as large at Tuross, but generally there's lots of good water. The entrance is currently blocked, so there's no tidal rise or fall on the lake. And it was a great day apart from the breeze which was still a bit cool.

4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    At least you got out fishing again, Noel. Good effort. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Nice work there Noel.

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks guys, it was great to be out on the water again.

Day two at Wallaga Lake:
    Clear sky; very light breeze; temp around 23. Water temp 21-22, which is fine.
    Headed north and across the lake around 0930hrs, basically to where we fished yesterday. Unlike then, the first fish hit the deck after only a couple of casts, but Zig got the first two, both bream, with the first a 36er, and the second at 33. Both nice fat strong fish that carted him around the water a bit. Soon after, I decided to keep my first two flatties; 46 and 44. This catching pattern continued consistently for much of the day. No mad bursts of activity; just a steady trickle of fish most of the day, and we pulled the pin about 1600hrs.

I always put my used plastics aside during the day and give them a rinse when back on shore. Some may be used several times. At the end of the day there were 25 plastics in the container so had lots of changes of gear, in types, colours and sizes, which is normal for me, and always have three rods rigged to reduce the number of lure changes. I change rods often. Zig now does the same, rather than spending time changing gear.

Of those 25 plastics, there were only four that had not caught fish that day, and some of course had taken two, three, or four. No exact count is possible, but fair to say that means in excess of 30 fish. Many undersize went back, plus a few just over size. Though I had a top day, it wasn't Zig's best, but he still had about ten in total. A reversal of roles from the previous day. I hit the best fish for the day. It was around 65cm. Swimming it beside the boat while Zig waited to use the net, it faced away from me. He told me it was not hooked at all. The entire hook was outside its nose, and this can and does often happen. Some guys think they are hanging on, refusing to let go. I tend to think their front teeth are stuck in the lure body, and until they open their mouth, they stay on the line. After a bit more time trying to ease it a little closer to the net, it opened its mouth and simply swam away. Nice fish, but that's fishing.
    What a great day.

Day three, 0700hrs:
    This new day is overcast, very calm, but still warm. We might even see some light rain. Not just calm water sailors; we'll be out again a bit later, but may give the gars a bit of a shot. They are numerous here at times, but we have no idea of the situation now. We saw a sea eagle carrying a garfish yesterday, and she took it to young in a nest we saw amongst the trees, which was great to watch.
    Keep you posted. Noel

7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Sounds like you had a great day yesterday Noel.Hopefully today is just as good.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Day three at Wallaga Lake.

It reminded me of a live theatre melodrama I saw years ago. 'The furtive fortunes of fickle fate'. Almost impossible to believe; after three hours this morning; I had two small flatties and Ziggy had one. No other touches, Other guys we spoke with fared even worse. Yesterday we averaged close to a fish every fifteen minutes for a whole day out. We quit at lunchtime, aware that the weather was breaking down.

Adding insult to injury, when the wind got up, thunder storms were developing as well. The use of graphite rods in electrical storms is not recommended. Graphite rods don't just conduct electricity; they attract it. Much more so if they are pointed to the sky, rather than carried horizontally. Right now thunder is rolling around and a heavy shower is easing, but the wind has died down.

But why such a massive change. It has always been my belief that nothing affects the metabolism of fish more, or faster, than a sudden dramatic change in barometric pressure. And we've surely had that.
    Do any of you guys have a better theory on that one? I'd love to get some other opinions. Noel

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  9. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Great to hear the opp went well Lyall

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    diesel and creekboy like this.
  10. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks, Kev. Welcome home. It looked like the weather gods were not looking after you very well. Hope you and Lyn still had an enjoyable cruise. Cheers, creekboy. ( Lyall )

diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've long been a believer in the same theory, Noel. I have witnessed this sudden change in freshwater and salt, including offshore reef fishing. There have been times when mates and myself have been pulling a fish on just about every drop in 50 metres of water when suddenly it shuts down as a change of weather sets in.

An Aboriginal mate that I fished with for many years in the Top End seemed to have an inbuilt sensor that was in tune with the rapid changes in barometric pressure and he would often decline to go out fishing even though conditions looked perfect. He would say: "bugger that mate, big mamoo (storm) coming". I would tell him to stop drinking his bathwater, there was no sign of a change in weather, but sure enough, a check of the barometer would show a drop and the fish were off the bite.

Jeff :cool:

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Jeff. We'll give the beggars another burst today, but that's about the last chance. Can't complain. Four days straight is pretty OK. A bit of hard work has given some good results, and it's a lovely piece of water. Other than being more shallow, it could be a carbon copy of parts of Mallacoota in let.

And welcome home Kev and Lyn. Place hasn't been the same the past week or two. Hope all went well.

13. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    The sudden drop in baro pressure and onslaught on a storm can either trigger the fish to feed aggressively or go completely off the bite. Several times over the years Ive experiences this, and none more prominent than one day up Broken Bay... I had envisaged a jew run off the beach and I arrived in a hot muggy afternoon around 4 or 5pm. After an hour or so the pressure dropped suddenly and the storm ripped through- strong gusty winds reaching 25-30knots and rain going sideways- I hid behind an umbrella crouched low into the sand to stay somewhat dry. In between deluge and strong winds I nailed 2 X 60cm+ Taylor and one that went around 50cm. I was ecstatic to even get a bit- and considering I drop 80km+ for get fishing I wasnt going to leave in a hurry with $40odd worth of bait I had to use, I am still glad I made that trip and one I will always remember.

Ive had other simlar experiences in Sydney in the rivers where the jew and flatties have fired up in the hour or 2 before the deluge then the bream and Taylor during the middle of the storm on a peaking tide which was more like coffee colour. Bait always proves to be effective for me in these kind of conditions and I wouldnt dream of pulling out a flicker and lobbing out a plastic or hard body due the electrical activity at the time.

Ive tried with varying success in similar conditions in recent times but there are stand outs and some real flops amonst the pre-storm baro drop, something triggers the fish to feed aggressively or shut down the bite completely.

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    In the pre-storm period; perhaps up to an hour before, we've seen trout during an evening rise go quite crazy, but like relax, have seen them shut down completely, and that has happened to us far more often than the other preferred situation. Regardless, when fish shut down like that, nobody will catch them, and the reasons remain a mystery.

Day four here started out with forecast severe storm warnings so we opted to not take the boat out. I walked 150m to the boat ramp jetty to throw a plastic or two. Had done that several times without a touch. This morning over about twenty minutes, got a monster at 20cm, three at 36, and a 40. Kept the 40 and released the others. Why the sudden change? Tuesday night we threw a few fish frames, and probably not allowed to, into the water by the ramp. The pelicans only got one before they sank. Almost guaranteed they were attracted by the berley that was on those frames. And the damn storms never happened, even though threatening all day.

Rod Bender, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    The wind never happened, but it's rained all night. At a guess, it may continue for a couple of days. Fishing's off the menu. Attached is a pic of Ziggy's monstrous boat. IMG_3404A.jpg

AWL, creekboy, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  16. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    That's a beast of a boat Noel.Looks to be the ideal sittin in a deck chair sippin on a beer type fishing boat:cool::cool: Betcha could get a big esky in there:)

Old fisho, diesel and creekboy like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You better believe it Andy. You could fit a cool room in there. There's close to 100 sq feet of flat deck in there (18' x 6') less the consol. With a few chairs and a few people dancing, you'd still never run out of beer space. As for stability, four people can stand on one side and barely rock it on water. It has very shallow draft and slides and cavitates a bit when cornering at speed, so we rarely run the 85 Yamaha over 3500 revs. Terrible boat; awesome fishing platform. He has another similar but slightly smaller. Noel

18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Perhaps I should explain why anyone would have two such boats. The second will live at Lake Eucumbene.

For over ten years Zig operated the hired paddle boats and canoes on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra. It was mandatory that he have two crash/rescue boats, (even though he only had to have one licenced operator, which means a coxswain's certificate, and if you understand the logic there, you're more clever than I) so he decided he'd have something he could also use for fishing. The ACT government decided to resume and redevelop the land where his business was sited, and he was shut down. He eventually got some compensation, but they tried to kick him out and give him nothing for a gov't lease that had nine years left to run.

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    On the subject of Eucumbene, while it was caught in NZ, this one is on the wall there. Have had bigger, but will never get better. Just over 9lb, it was barely three years old, and came from the Tongariro River.

Trouble is; even after resizing them, images won't upload. Bummer

Attached Files:

• 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      1,022.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Or did one?