1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Best Burley?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by User1, Aug 24, 2005.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    What do you guys find works best for Burley ?

2. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I dont think Burley has ever really been proven very successful in freshwater, the most commonly used burley for those that use it would probably be the pellet type which contains a mixture of god knows what.. but comes in many different types
    Cheese is also another good burley and bait used in the murray, it attracts shrimp which in turn attracts the fish :)
    I have also heard of peple using dough...

3. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah we generally use cheese in the murray :) Interesting though that Burley wouldn't be successful in freshwater.

Might buy an assortment of pellets and give it a whirl.

4. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I'm not saying that its not successful, but in my times fishing, I havnt really noticed a difference with using it or not... Someone please post and prove me otherwise :)
    Have you had good ressults using burley marc?

5. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    To be honest I've never used it... that's why I asked. I bought a couple of burley pots to give it a shot! I'll certainly let you know :)

6. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Corn Kernels or Creamed Corn always worked well in the fresh, also used smashed up snails at glenbawn a couple of times. I was told that cheese was not good for the fish as it stays in their digestive systems and rots causing disease.

7. subwayboy

subwayboy Guest

For a quick burley we will stop and buy some tinned tuna, or cat food that contains tuna or anything really put holes in it with a screw driver and chuck it in the water the metal rusts away and the holes will slowly let out the contents.

On the beach we will fill a hessian bag (spelling) with scraps and fish frames and guts etc tie it to a rope and let it sit in the surf washing around, has worked well in previous experiences. Another that has been used on camping trips etc where you plan to fish the same spot for an extended period. you can fill up any type of container we have used laundry containers they ones that look like they are made of a mesh fill the bottom 1/4 up with concreat (rock etc) and then middle 2/4 up with your berley (usualy fish frames and scraps) then concreat on the top. It will take 3 - 4 people to carry this on into the water and to semi burry it, it should keep a nice area berleyed up for around a week depending on its filling. It can be scary though swimming out to bring the container back it.

8. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    but thats saltwater.... :roll:

its all good though :p

9. subwayboy

subwayboy Guest

i cant see why salt water tech. cant be used in fresh water. it is still the same principal

10. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    well the tuna can one, it will take a hell of alot longer to rust without salt water... it is the same principals a guess...

11. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Well we burlied yesterday using a couple of the plastic pots (see my dismal fishing reports), and just used assorted bait mashed up, along with breadcrumbs and tuna oil.

The breadcrumbs is good for a nice slow but steady release of the tuna oil. Although in this case the burley didn't help us one bit.

12. Dan A

Dan A New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    I use chicken pet mince $1 per kilo from my local Lennards man..works quite well on its own, or mixed with sand and oil, gives you more as well.

EDIT: Oops forget this was freshwater, don't really want to be throwing chicken into fresh hehe.

Dan

13. awhite_au

awhite_au New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Depending on the conditions, I've found berley to work differently... Freshwater specifics are hard to come to a 100% conclusion on, particularly in the Murray where I do the majority of my fresh water fishing. ButI've found any pellet type berley used in a backwater situation where even though the water may be flowing, the backwater tends to hold the berley in the general area long enough for it to be successful before re-doing (as the saying goes "a LITTLE... OFTEN"). Don't go nuts with it, because if you choose to change spots, all the left overs will be there to feed the carp later on, which I've witnessed many times.

If you're in relatively clear/calm waters... and standard store bought berley hasn't seemed to do the trick, and you're one for the use of corn kernels, but want something a little bit more... malleable... stop by your corner store and buy a packet of polenta, cook it up into a cornmeal MUSH and use it accordingly.

But regardless of whether or not berleys work, I always make sure I have some at hand, you never know whether it can make the difference between a fishing expedition or an expensive scenic drive.

14. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    I don't tend to use much burley as we are on the move all the time especially when we fish in rivers. In lakes, most of time we just drift.
    The little occasions that I do use burley for freshwater its usually the commercial type that you buy from tackle shops. :)

15. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I like to use Maggots in freshwater specially while looking for a trout in a river...

cheers
    OZ