1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Big flathead stats.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    The fish release-live or die- feeling pain stuff has been under debate as long as I can remember.
    Let's bring a couple of particular fish into it.
    The first marlin I brought to the boat was on the metric equivalent of 30lb and hung on the gantry at just under 300lb. I was happy to release it after a spectacular on surface battle. It took a stripie of about 6-7lb that was swimming under a balloon, on the twelve mile reef, south of Montagu Island. Though not really wanted (it became pretty good tucker though) my friend and boat owner said he was going to knock it on the head. My argument was ignored as Martin said, because it was bleeding deep down and would die regardless. It also had five other similar stripies inside it. Was it even hungry? I doubt it. He knew far more than me about game fishing. It's also part of my thing about live baiting that there is a positive tendency for fish to be hooked deep down, reducing their chance of survival if released.
    Last year I hooked a decent fish in the lake here that turned out to be a jewie. I have only caught two here as I don't fish for them. Both were taken on plastics in shallow water, middle of the day, and in bright sunlight. All apparently abnormal. The first came to the boat quite easily. At around 70, it was released and swam away appearing none the worse. The second one battled until it could go no further. At times it was around 100m away. We never sighted it until it surfaced ten metres away from the boat, then just lay there as I wound it to the net, 3/4 of a km from where it was hooked after chasing it with the electric motor. It was virtually dead when we netted it and I've been told that these fish often do that. I don't know much about them and don't question the information bit I've now seen it happen. It was 22 1/2 lb and an excellent table fish. I'd like to have released it but there was little point. Yes it was on my light gear (4lb braid and 6lb leader). I don't call that ultra light. Had I been targeting that sort of fish it could be deemed to be ultra light to some. I've had several flathead over 90 on the same gear and they ALL seemed fine when released.
    The only record I have of the marlin is some video we shot on the water. Thinking about it, perhaps if I paused the video, I could get a screen shot to post. Will have to try that. The jewie is shown below.

IMG_3426TBX.jpg
    Tight lines.

creekboy, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  2. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Makes you sound like a pompous landed gentry pom. What are you doing, fraternising with this bunch of country bumpkin fishers?
    Noel
    The bearded bard from the bush

3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Didn't I tell u guys I am a direct relative of the queen "lord sir blair" knighted for his fishing exploits and abilities (and story telling)? sent to Australia to improve the gene pool and further the empires fisherfolk.:confused: it can be quite trying having to fraternise whith common convicts but I have my duty to queen and England. Trying to find a good set of rod holders for my new 2019 rolls Royce phantom, you would think they come whith electronic ones that pop up when u press a button for the price of a new rolls. I have requested a ute version to be especially made for me for next year so I fit in better whith the convicts.

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Gawd, we even have royalty on site.
    Noel
    God save the Queen.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Fair enough mate, I believe every living thing feels pain, not talking vegetables here. I belive they fear or feel fear as well. Im not silly enough to apply human traits to animals at all and neither was that any way implied. It seems a thing or construct you have applied to my post. Im getting a feeling of angst from you here so I'll bow out and let you guys have your discussion. I had no intention of picking a fight. I'll be back to give away those lures and stuff next week. Seems like here you are ok till you upset the experts. Probably why the numbers are so low, drives people away. Adios all. Im out.

creekboy likes this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I hope you don't take this as a permanent thing Chilli. In my fairly long experience I've never believed your thoughts about upsetting the experts has existed. It's nothing but a misunderstanding, maybe from two people. Regardless, a bit of light criticism now and then does us more good than anything. We can take it as we take yours on board. Stick around. We like your stuff.
    Noel.

creekboy, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    God save the forum

creekboy, blair and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm sorry that you were offended Chili, no offence was intended.

Maybe we have a different view on the concept of a forum, to me it is a platform not just for discussing particular subjects relevant to our shared interests, but also a place to debate different opinions. We disagreed, you have your opinion and I have mine - it's not a fight, I'm no expert and you haven't upset me in any way.

I hope you do stick around and if so, don't be offended when another member challenges your view on something.

Jeff

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yep we are all free to write our views and talk about our pastime we enjoy, and learn, my view on using light line is: fish as light as possible so u hook more fish and cast further, the fish obviously like being hooked and having a tug of war the exercise is also good for their health I proved this many times by catching fish that have a hook stuck in their mouth from last time they had a tug of war and won! , all jokes aside most of the fish come out of it ok so no prob.

sir blair fishalot

10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The line I use is between 9 lb and 12 lb from Kmart, and 80% of my terminal tackle also comes from Kmart, I pick up a small amount from Ebay. I use the old Black Queen rods, even a small carp feels like a whale. Lyn picked up a Erskine Delux rod from Kmart for $20, it was originally a combo worth about $50, but someone pinched the reel. She spoils me rotten. These days I mostly target the old mud marlin, the ones I catch get dispatched in a humane way. I read the posts on the forum where some of you go and what you catch. I would love to be able to get away to these places and catch the fish you do. But that's never going to happen. I think I may annoy a few members when I say I fish to relax forget my problems and enjoy myself. If I catch a fish it's a bonus. Lyn, Maisy and myself are heading to Yarrawonga for a few days in a bit over a week. We are really looking forward to it, no problems there it's flat and we can get close to the lake. Our son has taken us fishing a few times lately which has been great. It's not worth me having good gear as I don't know how much longer I will be able to go fishing it's getting harder to tie my hooks. This getting old sh#t's no fun there's always something else stuffing up.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I doubt whether anybody on here would find that annoying, Kev. Most people who have a passion for fishing would agree with your view regardless of the gear that is used.

I may have mentioned it before that one of my old fishing mates from Cape York would not use anything but a heavy handline and generally he out-fished the rest of us, no matter what we were chasing, barra, jacks, Spanish mackerel, coral trout, etc. He invariably had a couple of fish on board before I could make up my mind what lure to use and he fished for a feed for himself and the community. He had no concept of catch & release and would often give me a gobfull of abuse for releasing a fish that he reckoned would feed his starving wife for days, regardless of the fact that she was the size of a small hippo.

I have also fished with a mate who specializes in flats fishing, mainly for whiting with top-water lures. The line he uses is ultra light (1 to 2lb) and I often wonder how he manages to land fish without being busted off. I am yet to see him lose a fish and like Noel, he has landed some decent size fish in relation to the gear he uses - most are released.

Some people fish for the challenge, some fish for a feed and some just like the relaxation of dangling a line - most of us are a combination of all that.

Enjoy your time at Yarrawonga, Kev. In a couple of hours I will be starting my trip south and will probably be off the air for a while - it will all depend on whether or not I find some fishable water.

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Have a great and safe trip Jeff

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  13. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    x2, Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Good fishing to you both of course but mostly, get back in one piece.
    Noel

kev209 likes this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Kev,
    A question my old friend. Why would you think you might annoy us? I reckon the reverse is closer to the truth.
    Knowing what others are doing as well as knowing of their problems and difficulties in getting out there, is what has kept this site going as far as I'm concerned. Jeff suggests a few reasons why people fish and he's right of course. But there's another, far more important to the mind of this humble fisher. It's that of therapy. Perhaps initially, it's mental therapy but it has great benefits in a physical sense as well. I read a note on TV a day or so ago about a study indicating that 'people who hunt, generally have a better life of wellbeing than those who don't'. I say sometimes "I often give in but I never give up". I cop a bit of flack for going out in the boat alone when I can but it keeps me sane as I'm sure your trips out do for you. When I'm out there, I don't care if the cow calves or breaks its leg so to speak. When I get home I feel rejuvenated into a new person and can't wait to go again. It would be easy to fall into a depressed state with my activity limitations, which have deteriorated a lot further as we have just found out. But that's not the way to go if it can be avoided. That's where the mental therapy kicks in. Go out when and where you can. Hopefully we can better understand our own limitations by testing the parameters occasionally. Nobody else will ever understand them as we as individuals can.
    So let's not hear any more comments like that. Tell us of your difficulties and how you stay on top of them.
    You're talking here with a lot of mates and some of them share difficulties as you do.
    Noel.
    Older but not much wiser.

kev209 likes this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    For sure getting out for a fish is relaxing I had a great time out in the boat the other day tuna chasing, nearly didn't go out because it would be easy to just sit around. but probably would have sat around bored instead. Absoloutly 100% relaxed while trout fishing not a care in the world, definatly good for the health gets me back to the person I really am.
    Have a good trip Diesel drop in and say goodaye if your going past Kariong.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.