1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Big hand made custom game rod help needed

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Decka, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Decka

Decka New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    I found this rod at a second hand shop and was amazed by its size and quality of construction. I have no idea to its age but I'm sure it wouldn't have been cheap to make. The guides are Fin-nor Miami and the rod construction is made up of different woods laminated together. You can see the rod was made for a A.W. Stewart but unfortunately I cannot make out the makers signature. If anyone can help id the maker or recognizes the signature please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated. rod.jpg rod2.jpg rod3.JPG rod4.JPG

diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Great find Decka, was it in the same condition when you bought it.

3. Decka

Decka New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Yes Kev, this is the way I got it. When people see it there amazed as to the thickness of the rod. Obviously today there are far better materials that go into a rods construction but it would be nice to get an idea of its age..

kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I echo Kev's words, Decka - a great find.

Most of our early heavy game fishing gear came from the US, but the timbers (grey box & iron bark) used in your rod indicates that it was definitely made here in Oz. Polyester and fibreglass entered the rod building industry here after WW2, but was not all that common until the 60's.

It's possible that the rod was made sometime in the 50's and I think to pinpoint a more accurate date would be to go by the rod components - reel seat & guides.

You could also enquire through the Game Fishing Association of Australia (established 1938) to see if they have any record of AW Stewart or they might even have archival records of early rod builders.

https://gfaa.asn.au/

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I'm amazed the net has quite a bit of info on reels but very little on rods.

diesel likes this.
  6. Decka

Decka New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Thanx Jeff for your information and lead.
    Ill definitely get in touch with the gfaa and see if they can help I’d the manufacturer and if they have any knowledge of AW Stewart.

diesel and kev209 like this.